Dany's death!

Victarion Steel

“I dont think so, his accomplishments were far and beyond unprecedented, also the failed invasion of Japan which can said to have possibily having been the byproduct of Chinesse sabatoge under GK's grandson illustrates the fact that due to the fact that the Mongolian conquerors kept themselves seperate from their conquerd subjects leads me to believe that the Chinesse picture of GK as fat and overly indulgent was not meant as flattery but as contemptuous propoganda dismissing the Mongolian warrior ideals that was most responsible for GK being able to conquer China in the 1st place...â€

I am sorry, none of that refutes what I said. Unless you think that Ghengis was so stupid he could not tell when the artists he commissioned were mocking him with their portrayals

“It was Conuscious (I believe) who stated that being a "soldier" is the most contemptable profession for a person to devote himself to, and I'd hypothesize that it was this underlying cultural belief that led to the most able and remarkable men of China NOT choosing "warrior" as their profession, and Chinesse arrognace and STUPIDITY was the cause of their destruction I mean seriously who builds such a long+large wall and FAILS to complete it anyway...â€

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

“There is simply no arguing the point that GK conquerord an empire 4x the size of Alexander and 2x the size of Rome at its pinnacle, instituted freedom of religion, a swift messenger service, opened up formerly non-existent trade routes, gave his people a proud national identity, is the direct ancestor of something like 1/8-1/4th of the present worlds population, and was the 1st Steepe chieftain to distribute rank and titles based upon ability and personal loyalty as opposed to birth...â€

SO why should that have impressed the Chinese? He was still a barbarian horse lord from the savage wastes. Hell, the Chinese looked down on the British when they arrived with cannons, and firearms. Fact is, if you were not Chinese, they tended to look down on you.

“1st lets examine Caesar: doubtless he exaggerated the NUMBERS of his opponents, BUT he WAS doubtlessly outnumbered in most of the battles of the Galic campaigns but the extent of which must be viewed dubiously since his book was written as much as self promoting propoganda as anything else.â€

Caesar fought more Gallic chieftains then just Vercinatorix. In fact, he waged entire multi year campaigns before he fought Vercingatorix. IT was to those I was referring.

And again, even assuming you are right, it does not refute my point.

“On the other hand, Napolean LOST in the middle east and only REPORTED a victory, I dont liken Napolean to Caesar for this very reason.â€

It was Napoleons standard operating procedure, starting when he was in Italy.

In any case, it does not even begin to address the points I made about WHY they did it. No matter what the actual outcome, the motivation behind their writing was the same. That’s my point.

“Now does anyone know where to find the Napoleanic Prophecies?â€

What the hell are you talking about?

“GK's chronicles in contrast were recorded in retrospect AFTER he'd achieved supreme authority. The sense of Mongolian Invincibilty continued on long after GK's death, and GK's chief rival as previously stated was his blood brother, who when captured and brought before GK, GK has his blood brothers captures executed on the spot, GK DIDNT want to lie about his blood brother, while Caesar and Napolean had far less attachemnts to their enemies.â€

How does that refute the point I was making?

Rex. It is unfortunate that you seem to think that by throwing out a huge volume of material that tangentially relates to the point you are attempting to refute, you can win. You cant. You actually need to address the issues brought up, and explain why they cannt apply. You have continually failed to directly apply what you are arguing to the points that have been brought up.

In any case, have you conceded to my analysis of the military difficulties that the Mongols or other similar peoples would have faced in Europe?

Oh, and teach yourself about proper sentance construction. If a sentance goes on for three lines, its too long.

I know, I was just being sarcastic about the nuclear thing. I was being snarky towards RR's suggestions that stupidity was the reason that the Great Wall stopped being built.

I fear scarcasm is lost on RR. He seems to be losing his sense of humor. Perhaps, like Stannis, he needs to laugh.

Other not everything I post is a direct answer to your comments

Sometimes he posts just to hear the keys tick and see the steam rise off his monitor.

I think there is a very distinct possibility that Dany will die. But since she is one of two main protoganists, I am certain it will not happen till the last book, or maybe like towards the end or at the end of book before last like a cliffhanger.

There are certain conditions to be made for Dany to die

1) First she must land at Westeros and get from South to North or vice versa. As Qualithe of Asshai told her to get to North she must go South. I am pretty sure George will make sure her prophecy is fulfilled. So Dany must visit both South and North before her death

2) I am certain that there will be another Targ heir besides Dany, whether its L+R=J or child Aegon or someone else entirely, I don't know but it will be Targ son of Rhaegar and not one of the Targ Bastards (from Egg's time)

3) Dany must meet that Targ and her dragons must recognize him, so that when she dies her dragons (remaining ones) will go to him. I am pretty sure by that time Euron and his Dragon Horn storyline would be resolved. The other possibility is that dragons may go to Bran. Although he is not related to Targ's I am very positive that he will get a dragon, whether its Dany's or from somewhere else remains to be seen

There are certain conditions for Dany to live and thats her having a heir

1) She somehow breaks Mirri Maz's curse and somehow get pregnant, although I doubt that guy would be a Targ heir. Even though Targ married siblings, I doubt that Martin will actually allow that marriage to happen. He may write about insestious affair between Jaime and Cersei but marriage will not happen. (I am pretty sure that the only way she for her to survive)

2) She doesn't break the curse then

a) She "marries" that Targ, and he (with her consent) has an affair that produces children which she claims as her own

B) She marries someone else as politically correct marriage, probably not for love and adopts that Targ's children or proclaims them as her heirs

• 2 years later...

Neds death and the Red Wedding made sense, Dany's death would require a MAJOR ass-pull idiot balling.

The reason Ned died and the reason the Red Wedding happened, is because the victims of these two circumstances were extremely bad players of the Game. I mean, Ned got beaten in the Game by CERSEI for crying out loud, and Robb screwed his circumstances up by marrying Jeyne Westerling. Not to mention Catelyns stupidity, and Sarsa's and Arya's for that matter.

Dany on the other hand is a completely different sort of character. Whilst she is prone to anger, she is mostly very calm, very watchful, and willing to take advice, even if its not something she wants to hear (a trait that Tywin Lannister never learned). She is, by all accounts, a decent player of the Game. She has an army that is entirely loyal to her; and she is clever enough to learn how to seize opportunity. She won't get killed, not in a Red Wedding style fiasco.

@Thread Start

GRRM has callous disregard for his character's health, but I do not see Dany dying. She is the only competent person left to rule.

Tommen is soft, Myrcella does not want it, Cersei is under arrest, Jamie does not want it, Tyrion is disgraced, Renly is dead, Stannis is too autocratic, Robb is dead, Tywin is dead, Jon has the Black, Eddard is dead, Margarey is a fool, Sansa is a vapid fool, Ayra is becoming a Faceless Woman, and Catelyn is a zombie.

That leaves Bran and Dany. Both is seems are extremely beloved by GRRM, and they seem to be two of the only three "good" characters left (Jon being the third). Dany has the better claim and Dragons. Bran is away North.

What I predict happening is Dany and Bran marrying after they combine to defeat the Others with Dragonfire.

Anything that happens though, Dany becomes Queen.

The reason Ned died and the reason the Red Wedding happened, is because the victims of these two circumstances were extremely bad players of the Game. I mean, Ned got beaten in the Game by CERSEI for crying out loud, and Robb screwed his circumstances up by marrying Jeyne Westerling. Not to mention Catelyns stupidity, and Sarsa's and Arya's for that matter.

I almost feel dirty for touching this dead post but.....

I see that people say Cersei beat Ned at the game of thrones all the time, but she didn't. She was a tool of Petyr and he beat Ned. She only thought she was a player of the game.

That leaves Bran and Dany. Both is seems are extremely beloved by GRRM, and they seem to be two of the only three "good" characters left (Jon being the third). Dany has the better claim and Dragons. Bran is away North.

What I predict happening is Dany and Bran marrying after they combine to defeat the Others with Dragonfire.

Bran is a cripple. Dany is only left? That means now it is her turn to be murdered, crippled or disgraced. ;) Actually, George Martin loves Tyrion. You know what he did with his so much beloved character.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a feeling that GRRM is gonna shock us once again in aDwD by killing off Dany

It might sound crazy but something gives that feeling; am I the only one?

Another reason I got that feeling was the report from Jon Targaryen at comic last weekend. The spoiler part of his post got me thinking? http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showt...=9466&st=40

He went a whole book without really killing any substantial characters no one saw the red wedding coming so maybe something shocking like that will happen again but maybe I'm wrong.

We shall see.

I've been hoping that he'd kill her off ever since she hatched the Dragons. As far as I am concerned, once she brought the Dragons back into the world, her job was done. Now she is a completely disposable (and fairly uninteresting) character that I think the story would be better off without. The time of the Targaryens has passed, now it is time for the last of their line to perish.

As I look at it, all of the major characters that have been presented to us (and there has been a lot), can pretty much be sorted into good and bad players...

Good players

• Tyrion
  • Littlefinger
  • Varys
  • Tywin
  • Jaime
  • Dany
  • Euron
  • Stannis

Bad

• Eddard
  • Jon
  • Robb
  • Cersei
  • Renly
  • Catelyn
  • Balon

There we have the people who can at least predicted to die. The series can pretty much be summed up by Cersei's quote: 'In the game of thrones, you win or you die'. So true.

Jon isn't really playing the game as of yet, but I reckon there is a chance that he will fall foul of Melisandre and Stannis.

Once she brought the Dragons back into the world, her job was done. Now she is a completely disposable (and fairly uninteresting) character that I think the story would be better off without.

But isn't the very act of bringing dragons into the world supposed to show us that Dany is an extraordinary person, a person destined for great things? If she were to die early on, before doing anything else amazing, wouldn't we all be left wondering why she, instead of someone more impressive, managed to perform this miracle?

Regardless of personal attitudes to Dany, she is one of the least disposable characters in the story, because she's at the center of it! Through every possible narrative device, GRRM has planted a big fat Protagonist sign on her forehead. The fact that she's uninteresting has more to do with the difficulty of making a hero(ine) three-dimensional than with her "disposability" as a character.

But isn't the very act of bringing dragons into the world supposed to show us that Dany is an extraordinary person, a person destined for great things? If she were to die early on, before doing anything else amazing, wouldn't we all be left wondering why she, instead of someone more impressive, managed to perform this miracle?

Regardless of personal attitudes to Dany, she is one of the least disposable characters in the story, because she's at the center of it! Through every possible narrative device, GRRM has planted a big fat Protagonist sign on her forehead. The fact that she's uninteresting has more to do with the difficulty of making a hero(ine) three-dimensional than with her "disposability" as a character.

There are three major threads in this series and Dany is one of them...she might die in the last chapter of the last book

Archived