TWOIAF down to £11 on Amazon.co.uk

I was actually searching for the 'Game of Thrones' board game when Amazon suggested The World of Ice and Fire, which is apparently going for £11, down from £30. Wow! I won't be getting it myself as it didn't seem like my cup of tea, but for people in the UK who do want it, or who are thinking of getting it as a Christmas present, I would get it NOW before Amazon change their minds!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-World-Ice-Fire-Westeros/dp/0007580916/ref=pd_cp_k_h_b_cs_1

I bought mine from Amazon UK. For 15£, the same as the one OP shows. It's cheaper because it does not have the "spongy" red cover but a regular black cover. It seemed silly to pay 15 quid extra for a squishy cover

No. The reason it is cheaper is because it is not an imported American copy, and is therefore in better supply in the UK. In the U.S., the US version is cheap enough.

Ah, I didn't realise there were 2 different covers. Yes, the one I saw in Waterstones had a padded cover I believe. They were selling it for £15. (This was on the first day of release here in the UK, so I don't know if this is still the case.) If you can get into town and you can afford it, I would definitely recommend getting the one with the padded cover for only another £4, but yes an extra £19 for full price would seem a tad excessive, unless you could afford it.

I didn't really enjoy the writing, but the artwork was amazing. I think the look of the thing is its real selling point.

Does anyone know why it was released in the UK first and not the US? Not that I'm complaining of course, hehe. But given it's an American author and all. And the series is ridiculously popular internationally, so I can't imagine that the series has a stronger following in the UK than the US. It's not like the series only has a small cult following in one country.

Does anyone know why it was released in the UK first and not the US? Not that I'm complaining of course, hehe. But given it's an American author and all. And the series is ridiculously popular internationally, so I can't imagine that the series has a stronger following in the UK than the US. It's not like the series only has a small cult following in one country.

I don't think it was. 10/28 was the release date in both places IIRC, though some locations of some stores put it out early mistakenly (some Targets in the US had it out a week or two early).

Hmm, interesting! There was a time when the release dates were posted above the boards and I seem to remember the US release date was the day after the UK release date. Ah well, who knows eh?

Well I did get my copy about 24 hours before the U.S. did, but it was the same date, not my fault the U.S. is a day behind :p

Archived