Ancient races of the world

ssls6

Cro-men??

And mazemakers are likely squishers, they are all located on islands after all. Squishers may be merfolk.

I could not think of what to call them. They were like men but could not interbreed, larger, sloping foreheads....Cromagnum

So do you mean like the Ibbenese?

The Ibbenese are like a sort of neanderthal I think. A modern civilisation, ancient race.

Yeah, the Ibbenese and the Sothoryons both shared traits enough for me to consider them one race. Neanderthal would be a good description.

The oily black stones, the tunnels, the 5 YiTi forts, ...I interpreted this as work of the Mazemakers, References to sea people made me feel like they were a different race. As in the customs of the 1000 island people. Maybe both races could manipulate oil black stone.

Maybe man could be considered an ancient race as well, lots of references to abandon cities of someone. Could the mazemakers have been men?

Heck, I forgot the others.

The Neanderthal idea is interesting. I'd like to read a fantasy with them and other hominids representing different civilizations, instead of elves, mermaids, etc.

It's based in reality! Homo Sapiens lived alongside many other kinds of human for a long time, including a 3-foot "hobbit" species in Indonesida.

There is almost certainly a flying race, but it isn't in Westeros or western Essos. I mean there is water, earth and fire, and excluding air would be traumatizing for me as a fan. (im really sensitive about on of the four elements being left out lol)

Old Ones I'm not sure, they are subterranian right? Mole people!!!

Man can be an ancient race, but no civilisations. Man is, but Ghiscari isn't etc.

I think Deep Ones/Old Ones might be similar if not the same race--both of the Lovecraftian type. It might just be different names for the same kind of being: "seriously old, seriously mysterious, seriously scary...and something you'll never encounter"

I perceived the "winged" men comment as a throw away comment like snarks and grumpkins. The sea people, maze makers, old ones, and neanderthals had more context. We only really know the others, children, and giants are true but physical evidence points to other ancient races or it could point to men before the first men who failed.

In the Lord of the Rings, you could tell the world was more ancient than the period being told. The Silmarillion tried to fill in that history. I see a lot of parallels here in that the world of fire and ice hinted at a much older world than the current period.

Maybe a long night that goes to far reboots mankind?

It seems there are a multitude of 'known' sentient beings besides humans on Planetos:

1. Others (Demons of the Lion of Night from the Grey Wastes?)

2. Children of the Forest (Ifeqevron?)

3. Giants (Jhogwin?)

4. Merlings/Squishers/Deep Ones

5. Ibbenese [Neandertal-like] (Mazebuilders/early Unicorn-riders of the Grasslands?)

6. Thousand Islanders/Toad Islanders [Human-Merling hybrids?]

7. Brindled Men of Sothoryos

8. Old Ones of Leng

9. Shrykes [lizard men?]

10. Winged Men

The last two are less well documented and may be mythological. :)

When I read about the Winged Men and Shrykes, I wondered if those were names given to a group of people that rode dragons.....but the groups that gave those names just didn't understand what they were seeing. So kind of a reality based mythology.

Perhaps -- like the centaurs (which I didn't include in my list), or people with crude hangliders. But the Shrikes also could be the product of the 'exile sorcerer lord' of Carcosa... :)

I was realy disappointed to realize WOIAF ends with Asshai and there was no mention of the Winged Man. As I hoped for a connections between, Tales that the Asshai told the Valyrians how to ride Dragons, Targaryen misshaped Babys with wings and scales and the Winged Man. As the Winged Man are close to Asshai and every freaking way of Magic is welcome in Asshai I think there have to be some sort of a connection between Asshai, Winged Man and Targaryens.

Brindeld Man and Ibbenese have the same Origins in my Opinion.

People on the Isles of Toads, Squishers, Claw Isle men and Sistermen (who seem to have "swim skin" berween their fingers) Deep Ones Merlings, seems to be related.

And what I find very intresting is, that there was no mention (or I missed it) about First Men in Essos and what drove them off there? So I guess First Men and Andals are geneticly the same. First Men just got told the Knowledge of working steel, and travelling the Sea (partly or completly by the Rhoynar) and they have evolved a Religion. But it is not known what the former Religion of the First Men was.

Brindeld Man and Ibbenese have the same Origins in my Opinion.

People on the Isles of Toads, Squishers, Claw Isle men and Sistermen (who seem to have "swim skin" berween their fingers) Deep Ones Merlings, seems to be related.

And what I find very intresting is, that there was no mention (or I missed it) about First Men in Essos and what drove them off there? So I guess First Men and Andals are geneticly the same. First Men just got told the Knowledge of working steel, and travelling the Sea (partly or completly by the Rhoynar) and they have evolved a Religion. But it is not known what the former Religion of the First Men was.

The Brindled Men are similar to the Ibbenese, but much less sophisticated -- yes, perhaps they are distant 'cousins'.

From what I gathered, there were primarily two ancient populations of humans in western Essos in the Dawn Age: in the north there were the Fisher Queens that were ancestral to the light skinned Sarnori, Andals, and First Men; and in the south there were the olive-skinned Ghiscari that were ancestral to the Lhazarene and possibly Rhoynar. Also there were the light-skinned Qaarthi, now limited to Qarth (which may be related to the Patrimony of Hyrkoon and proto-Valyrians). :)

Archived