Did Tywin have so many fans before Charles Dance's portrayal?

larastone

lady Blackmont@ Yes but ultmately a hero is a good person, one you should root for and a villain is really the opposite of a hero, and is therefore often on the opposing side.

That's a common trope, not a fact. I tend to use villain as a synonym with antagonist or adversary. Yes, they're often morally corrupt, but not always. If I want a "Bad antagonist opposite to the hero" I'll say nemesis.

Just compare the two: Robb was relieved when he was advised to spare the life of a woman who was threatening his brother's life. Tywin casually hanged an innocent woman because she owned a tavern where the son he hates was kidnapped and displayed her decomposing corpse outside his tent for everyone to see. And that is not even usually listed among his crimes because the list is so vast...

Didn't Robb knowingly send 2000 of his soldiers to their deaths as a ruse for his other troops, when they had volunteered to fight for him?  I'm sure many of them saw him as a villain when they realized they'd been sent to certain death.

Didn't Robb knowingly send 2000 of his soldiers to their death, when they had volunteered to fight for them?  I'm sure many of them saw him as a villain when they realized they'd been sent to sure death.

Thats the show in the books he sent 10000+ under Bolton as a distraction and that's not quite how it works they didn't volunteer.

I knew Dance first as I had never read the books, but after Episode 6 I read through the first book, and shortly after the rest of the books.

I didn't like Tywin at all, he was a typical villain to me. But after reading the books I grew to respect him greatly as a force in the world. He was a pretty horrible person, but he has some unique traits that you can't ignore.

But in terms of introductions, not sure you can do better than the Dance butchering scene. I thought that set the tone for the character so well.

I think Tywin is a fascinating character in both books and show, but I don't like him. Show!Tywin is a bit more likable than book!Tywin but that's because of Charles Dance's charisma.

Heh. It would have been awesome to see Daario on screen in his colourful garb. The current Daario is too plain. He's like some random Westerosi knight you'd find drinking in a pub. He doesn't seem like a sleazy sellsword. Season 3 Daario was much better. 

I think Tywin is a fascinating character in both books and show, but I don't like him. Show!Tywin is a bit more likable than book!Tywin but that's because of Charles Dance's charisma.

Heh. It would have been awesome to see Daario on screen in his colourful garb. The current Daario is too plain. He's like some random Westerosi knight you'd find drinking in a pub. He doesn't seem like a sleazy sellsword. Season 3 Daario was much better. 

I didn't really like either daario they both just seemed too generic they should be a sleazy peacock in human form.

Archived