Andal Invasion of the North

norwaywolf123

13 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

They are more interesting and nuanced in the books. The Show has ruined them, in my view.

But Roose refers to his ancestors buried in crypts below the Dreadfort - very similar to the Starks. This gives them a history and depth. And since he is by far the more interesting character than Ramsay, it makes the Boltons far more captivating as he is the primary Bolton villain, not the crude and rather stupid Ramsay, as depicted in the Show.

The show Boltons suck too. 

But I don't think GRRM has given the Boltons lots of depth to be such a major part of the story. All we know about their history is that they flayed people are brutal  and constantly been the Starks' rivals. Domeric seemed interesting but he's dead. Even after thousands of years they still are obsessed about the Starks and gaining the North. Th Stark and Bolton rivalry is so boring. Even thousands and thousands of history doesn't make the Boltons interesting plus I doubt GRRM will spend any more time on them besides to kill them. 

I wish their rivalry was interesting like the Blackwood/Brackens, Manderly/Peaks, or Martells and Yronwoods. 

31 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

They are more interesting and nuanced in the books. The Show has ruined them, in my view.

But Roose refers to his ancestors buried in crypts below the Dreadfort - very similar to the Starks. This gives them a history and depth. And since he is by far the more interesting character than Ramsay, it makes the Boltons far more captivating as he is the primary Bolton villain, not the crude and rather stupid Ramsay, as depicted in the Show.

31 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I think GRRM has deliberately avoided giving more details about the Boltons. And Im sure he has a clear idea about them. What we know about them is a grim and savage as the Starks of old: whereas the latter sacrificed people to the weirwoods, vanquished dinasties and practically forced their women into marriage, the Boltons flayed people and apparently were excellent hunters.

I actually like Ramsay. His intent of restoring the 'old way' of the Boltons is more than just a childish play at war: it's a reenactment of the true nature of the Boltons, the First Men and the north. As I said, just as savage and bloodthirsty (literally -since Ramsay likes to kill for sport [Rogar the Huntsman, Red King] and metaphorically - Ramsay marries twice, both times, curiously, just to 'absorb' land and titles), as the Starks of old.

As you said, their dead lie beneath the Dreadfort. Yet, when they are occupying Winterfell in Dance, they don't appear to want to disturb the crypts. Only Lady Dustin goes down there and she still shows a lot of respect.

Maybe a northern tradition, that of placing crypts beneath the ancestral seat. Dustin's own Barrowhall literally sits on top of a giant grave-hill.

Sorry for the off topic. First Men culture fascinates me. I wish GRRM would elaborate more on them.

2 hours ago, joluoto2 said:

Define Andal House. Because the Manderlies are one of the many houses of First Men origin from the South. But they worship the Seven, so if that is the requirement: yes they are Andal.

Strict Definiton:

Follows Faith of the Seven

Andal in the male line (House Lannister became Andal when King Gerold Lannister the last first men king of the rock's only daughter who was married to an Andal knight named Joffrey Lydden took his wife's name and ruled as Joffrey Lannister the first Andal king of the Rock.

Andal Culture (Valeman, Rivermen, Westermen, Crownlander, Reachman, Stormlander and perhaps some small Andal clusters in Essos?)

Catelyn Tully calls house Refort for "First-Men nobility" Since it is descended from the first men and i think they follow the seven?so i think you have to be Andal in the male line. Andal succesion male primogeniture so i a lord has only a daugther she is ofcourse the heir but often female heirs are married to close male cousins from the same house, and example of this could be House Whent.

1 hour ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

I think GRRM has deliberately avoided giving more details about the Boltons. And Im sure he has a clear idea about them. What we know about them is a grim and savage as the Starks of old: whereas the latter sacrificed people to the weirwoods, vanquished dinasties and practically forced their women into marriage, the Boltons flayed people and apparently were excellent hunters.

I actually like Ramsay. His intent of restoring the 'old way' of the Boltons is more than just a childish play at war: it's a reenactment of the true nature of the Boltons, the First Men and the north. As I said, just as savage and bloodthirsty (literally -since Ramsay likes to kill for sport [Rogar the Huntsman, Red King] and metaphorically - Ramsay marries twice, both times, curiously, just to 'absorb' land and titles), as the Starks of old.

As you said, their dead lie beneath the Dreadfort. Yet, when they are occupying Winterfell in Dance, they don't appear to want to disturb the crypts. Only Lady Dustin goes down there and she still shows a lot of respect.

Maybe a northern tradition, that of placing crypts beneath the ancestral seat. Dustin's own Barrowhall literally sits on top of a giant grave-hill.

Sorry for the off topic. First Men culture fascinates me. I wish GRRM would elaborate more on them.

It is possible that Ramsay will rule the North, but unlikely since the Starks are fan favorites. Maybe Ramsay will marry Sansa or the real Arya. I do think that ramsay will survive tho.

Archived