Who would Tywin name his heir?

9 hours ago, LordPathera said:

Sallic Law my friend, some people don't understand that Sallic Law was only strictly followed by medieval France. Though in all fairness, male heirs were culturally and historically preferred over female heirs in most cultures in medieval times as a De Facto rule rather than a De Jure one. This didn't prevent females from outright inheriting, but this mostly happened when there was no closely related male suitor to be found.

At least that's how I understand it. Feel free to fill in any blanks that I missed.

That is not how it works. We know that by Andal and First Men law the women can inherit. However the only thing about Targaryen law we have so much say that the women cannot inherit. So in the books a notTargaryen woman can be a Lady of her own right.

11 hours ago, Alexander Targaryen said:

This brings up another interesting point I've often considered; why is Tywin still unmarried? His wife Joanna died in 273 AC when Tywin was only 31 - younger than Jaime and Cersei are today.

He had three children, three grandchildren and his brothers and sisters have 11 children between them as well as a multitude of close cousins and their descendants. Tywin had no real heir and marrying again does not change the succession order, any new sons would still be behind his oldest son(s).

Even if he truly loved Joanna and mourned her death for years, someone like Tywin should have been eager to find a new wife from a powerful noble House to gain them as allies.

Why would he need to? His son-in-law was the King and his grandchildren would marry the cream of Westeros. The Westerlands was firmly under Lannister control with many high profile Lannister marriage alliances.

His children were idiots, without them cuckolding the King he would never have had to worry about marriage alliances. Plus, in fairness, he did try to arrange Tyrion to marry into the Hightowers, Forents, Royces etc. and always turned down.

There were certainly options available, such as Lyanna Stark (not betrothed to Robert Baratheon before 281 AC, then aged 14-15),

He still had Jaime as option around that time. It was his children he was needed to gain alliances, not himself.

Lysa Arryn (not married to Jon Arryn until 282-283 AC, then aged 14-17),

A possible match was about to made for Jaime until he joined the KG.

Lord Mace Tyrell's sisters Janna or Mina who may have been unmarried at this point, and the list goes on. Why would someone whose power and influence rivals that of the King himself not advance his position further by marrying an influential woman?

Joanna dies in 273 leaving Twyin with three children and a multitude of other heirs (much the same way that Jon Arryn has accepted that a younger brother or cousin would be his heir till they were killed or that Ethan Glover seems happy with his brother and nephews being his). His children, not his own marriage, would be of greater importance at this time and at that point he was Hand.

Late 281 Jaime becomes a KG member, Tywin quits as Hand. This would be the time that Tywin needs to think about marriage with no Jaime.

282 war breaks out limiting Tywin's options as he was cautious to not pick a side. Getting married would mean the chance of joining the losing faction, best to wait.

283 backs Robert and Cersie is betrothed to King of Westeros. Marriage alliances is no longer an issue and as said before, the Lannisters are not struggling for heirs.

11 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

That is not how it works. We know that by Andal and First Men law the women can inherit. However the only thing about Targaryen law we have so much say that the women cannot inherit. So in the books a notTargaryen woman can be a Lady of her own right.

I was referring to the real-world application of Sallic Law as created by Medieval France.

In Westeros, yes woman can inherit (except for the Targaryens after the Dance with Dragons).

Just now, LordPathera said:

I was referring to the real-world application of Sallic Law as created by Medieval France.

In Westeros, yes woman can inherit (except for the Targaryens after the Dance with Dragons).

I see. Sorry I hadn't understood what you meant.

Archived