No Teleprtation or Twins, Just Time

38 minutes ago, Cron said:

I love the show, but I STRONGLY believe the people on this thread (including me) have put more time and thought into all this than the show runners likely did

I would like your post if there was such mechanic here, seriously, but

..just this line of argument is not very plausible, to put it nicely. We´re talking about people handling hundreds of thousands of dollars. I don´t sit in my office trying to make D&D plots work, I talk about what is on the screen for me when I watch it (and I can´t claim to have any truth) and the little I know about moviemaking and writing. Anyone who seriously think D&D would not even try to make the story make sense for a slightly critical 16 years old should seriously try to write anything for the smallest producer on Earth and get them to spend money on it.

Even Lost, a much messier production, with writers strike and such, with a much weaker plot and no solid base reference, does explain most of what it proposes to, however unsatisfactorily for some who expected more "aliens" than "god".

I hear the same type of argument "D&D suck because x" where x= "I didn´t quite get what´s happening" from my eleven years old nephew, no doubt he already visits these forums. 

9 minutes ago, NutBurz said:

I would like your post if there was such mechanic here, seriously, but

..just this line of argument is not very plausible, to put it nicely. We´re talking about people handling hundreds of thousands of dollars. I don´t sit in my office trying to make D&D plots work, I talk about what is on the screen for me when I watch it (and I can´t claim to have any truth) and the little I know about moviemaking and writing. Anyone who seriously think D&D would not even try to make the story make sense for a slightly critical 16 years old should seriously try to write anything for the smallest producer on Earth and get them to spend money on it.

And yet, you do a much more competent job then they do. Go figure.

10 minutes ago, NutBurz said:

I hear the same type of argument "D&D suck because x" where x= "I didn´t quite get what´s happening" from my eleven years old nephew, no doubt he already visits these forums. 

Actually, the arguments are not "I didn't quite get what's happening", the arguments are that what's happening defies logic and doesn't make any sense. It's clear what's happening, it's just stupid, nonsensical, and cliche'. This makes for poor story telling, and the type of story I might enjoy, if I was still eleven years old (although, I doubt I'd be watching Got if I was only eleven). I'm looking for a little more depth and intelligence out of a story, especially one that has such great source material to draw from. If d$d wanted to make such a mindless, and gratuitous show, they should have just written their own lame story, instead of trying to adapt one that is clearly over their heads.

2 hours ago, Darkstream said:

And yet, you do a much more competent job then they do. Go figure.

Actually, the arguments are not "I didn't quite get what's happening", the arguments are that what's happening defies logic and doesn't make any sense. It's clear what's happening, it's just stupid, nonsensical, and cliche'. This makes for poor story telling, and the type of story I might enjoy, if I was still eleven years old (although, I doubt I'd be watching Got if I was only eleven). I'm looking for a little more depth and intelligence out of a story, especially one that has such great source material to draw from. If d$d wanted to make such a mindless, and gratuitous show, they should have just written their own lame story, instead of trying to adapt one that is clearly over their heads.

Wrong. Most of the criticism has been mindless nitpicks. There have been solid explanations made by fans as well as the show, but people still nitpick. Because of bias and inability to pay attention and think things through.

16 hours ago, Darkstream said:

Clearly, everyone defending this aspect of the show doesn't understand how these things work, or will just blindly defend any aspect of the show, just because. Varys' trip would have taken approximately two years. What was happening in Weisseros during this time? Are you guys claiming that this much time has past in the story, and everyone was just sitting around picking their nose this whole time? It would be perfectly acceptable for Varys to be in Slavers Bay in one scene, and be in Weisseros the next scene, if  this passage of time was acurately represented.

This thread is such a ridiculous defence of the show. If these things don't bother you, or disrupt your enjoyment of the show, that's perfectly fine, but to deny that these issues exist is just pure ignorance, or willful obstanance. Honey potting at its most extreme. :rolleyes:

GRRM may have a character in one location, and be somewhere else in the next chapter, but the travel time, although not shown on page, is consistently represented by the events that have occurred in everyone's story. This is not the case in d$d's ridiculous story compilation of plot points.

Why would it have taken 2 years for the trip? It isn't that far, its only 3000 miles. The fastest real sailing ships could cover about 350 miles a day, and would be able to make the trip in about a week and a half. The ships available in Westeros are slower, but even allowing for 100 miles a day, that is a journey of only approximately a month to get from Slavers Bay to Dorne.

6 hours ago, tugela said:

Why would it have taken 2 years for the trip? It isn't that far, its only 3000 miles. The fastest real sailing ships could cover about 350 miles a day, and would be able to make the trip in about a week and a half. The ships available in Westeros are slower, but even allowing for 100 miles a day, that is a journey of only approximately a month to get from Slavers Bay to Dorne.

My estimate of two years was there and back, so only one year to get there. However, taking a closer look, I would admit that this is probably quite an overestimate. But, your estimate of a month would be quite the underestimate as well.

I have seen it estimated (by much smarter and knowledgeable perons than I) that crossing the Narrow Sea would take roughly two weeks. If you look at the map, the distance you would have to sail to reach Mereen from Dorne is about eight to ten times further than that of crossing the Narrow Sea. Taking into account that Varys would most likely have booked passage on a trading galley, that would be making port in several cities along the way to conduct their business, as well as not travelling at top speeds, and following the coast line (thus, having to sail all the way around Valyria), I could see his trip easily taking five to six months, one way.

I'm not going to sit here and claim to be an expert, or even very knowledgeable, on the distances and travel times, so this is really just a guess on my part. However, it is known that this journey is an extremely long and perilous voyage to take. Whatever the actual time it would have taken, there is no way that Varys could have made this journey, even one way, in the amount of time that is being portrayed to have passed on the show.

8 hours ago, Darksky said:

Wrong. Most of the criticism has been mindless nitpicks. There have been solid explanations made by fans as well as the show, but people still nitpick. Because of bias and inability to pay attention and think things through.

Wrong, this is just the same old tired defence used for every one of the countless criticisms of the show, just because it's the only defence there is (however weak and dependent on denial), for someone who is biased and refuses to think things through.

Archived