Littlefinger Targeting The Starks Since Day One!?

Iron Mother

4 hours ago, King Onion Knight said:

LF is knocking off everyone that way everyone kills one another and with nobody left, he will take the Throne.

Varys said it best..  "He would see this country burn so he could be king of the ashes."  However, I do feel LF has some special anger toward the Starks because of the humiliation he faced at Brandon Stark's hands as well as the fact that Ned married his beloved Cat.

On 7/22/2016 at 7:23 PM, JonSnow4President said:

I think Littlefinger plays a personal vengeance game every bit as much as he is playing the political game.  I think ultimately, he is striving to destroy the people who "wronged" him, taking everything they held dear, and striving to fulfill his perfect fantasy.  He hates Ned because he stole Catelyn from him.  But I don't think he has any particular desire to destroy the remaining Starks (outside of fulfilling his fantasies of Catelyn with her daughter).  

I can get behind this.

But the books' LF doesn't strive for the IT, because he knows that it doesn't mean the real power. He want's to be the real power behind the IT, controlling everything and everybody. And basically he had it all during the first seasons and books, he controlled finances as Maaster of Coin and he knew everybody's secrets through his brothels.

I don't even think that he loved Catelyn, he destroyed her life anyway. I rather see it as a kind of obsession or strive for power. Growing in Riverrun, the LF probably felt the same as Theon, that he wasn't a part of family and won't be treated equaly. That's why he persues Cat, Hoster Tully's favorite daughter. Now he's obsession is transfered to Sansa.

In my opinion LF is facing the endgame because he left his real power in KL to persue the symbols of power, to become the Lord of Eyrie, LOrd of Harrenhall and ultimately, the IT. As Starks should never left Winterfell, LF shouldn't have left KL.

4 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I can get behind this.

But the books' LF doesn't strive for the IT, because he knows that it doesn't mean the real power. He want's to be the real power behind the IT, controlling everything and everybody. And basically he had it all during the first seasons and books, he controlled finances as Maaster of Coin and he knew everybody's secrets through his brothels.

I don't even think that he loved Catelyn, he destroyed her life anyway. I rather see it as a kind of obsession or strive for power. Growing in Riverrun, the LF probably felt the same as Theon, that he wasn't a part of family and won't be treated equaly. That's why he persues Cat, Hoster Tully's favorite daughter. Now he's obsession is transfered to Sansa.

In my opinion LF is facing the endgame because he left his real power in KL to persue the symbols of power, to become the Lord of Eyrie, LOrd of Harrenhall and ultimately, the IT. As Starks should never left Winterfell, LF shouldn't have left KL.

I can completely agree that he doesn't actually love Cat, but has an obsession with everything he associates with her.  

As far as the Starks should have never left Winterfell, in the books it takes a massive string of things going just wrong for Ed and Robb to meet their ends (a little moreso for Robb, but even with his mistakes, Ned needs things to go just wrong to fail).  I would really suggest reading racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com's chapter by chapter political analyses.  It's amazing how much has to happen.  

Ned's mistake wasn't in playing the honorable fool.  It was largely in not utilizing the powers of his office, not placing his own people in key institutions, and then choosing wrong after carefully considering who to trust based on the best information available to him.  A lot of that nuance gets lost in the show though, some due to medium, more due to writing not compensating with that change in medium.

I also disagree with LF as things stand now.  LF has a solid plan in book Vale, and in the show has solidified his control over the entire Vale.  Turning his aims North may be the ultimate mistake, but I don't think he's weaker that he would be staying in Kings Landing under Cersei.

Archived