Could Gendry be Azor Ahai?

Jellofish

To me Gendry in general throws a spanner in the works for the series. Where could he be?

Gendry also seems like a good candidate to be Azor Ahai. Since Rhaelle Targaryen married Ormund Baratheon technically Gendry has the "blood of a dragon" not only that but the prophecy said that the Azor Ahai must forge a sword and who forged better then a blacksmith. He is also the only person that has handled Widow's wail that has survived. The prophecy also says born amidst salt and smoke and I'm sure there would be a lot of it in the forgery. The prophecy also states that the Azor Ahai would be born upon a bleeding star. The red comet?

i dont think they would make such an insignificant character (thus far) become such an important one going forward.  with limited show time going forward, it seems they have been focusing on those characters that are important and leaving out the ones that are not.  methinks we may never even see Gendry again.

Yeah i know there are people out there with this theory. There's even a youtube video about it (of course there's one for every theory out there), but the limited time left and the fact we haven't seen him in so long makes me think those people are barking up the wrong tree. But who knows. I'd actually like if he'd turned out to be AA, the Dany/Jon thing being so in our face and obvious. But i don't know, Gendry? Might be to extreme the other way. 

Considering GoT brought back The Hound, Benjen Stark, The Blackfish, Edmure Tully, Thoros and Beric. There is a pretty great chance we'll see Gendry again. Maybe as a Smalltalk's perspective on how Cersei fucks up King's Landing. It's a good theory though.

Is it possible that Gendry was misdirection all along?  

I don't think there have been any indications of his greatness in any aspect other than he is Robert's bastard.  Defo not Azor Ahai material, but not even the stuff of kings in any way.

If we see him again, it's probably going to be a way to bring Arya's storyline full circle.

24 minutes ago, Knight's King said:

Gendry would have to be born or reborn of smoke and salt under a bleeding star. He may have ties to Targaryen but he doesn't fit the prophecy's requirements.

He fled his old life in King's Landing to his new life of running and rowing when the red comet first appeared. Thus beginning a new life in a sense when the smokes of the red woman's fires and the salt of the sea around Dragonstone revealed to him he wasn't Gendry the Blacksmith but truly Gendry the Prince. See, you gotta love vaguely worded prophecies, you could make a case for just about anyone. :P

There's currently a huge power vaccuum in the Stormlands with all of the Baratheons dead.  It would be rather fun IMO if Gendry ends up being legitimized (by Jon or Dany I guess?) and given Storms End, since he is apparently the only surviving bastard of Robert and the only person alive with Baratheon blood.  This may eventually be true in the books as well, if Edric Storm dies.  

Of course he'd be unsuited to it since he's basically a illiterate peasant - but he could get by with a good enough maester as he is a good hearted / moral person.  

Gendry may not be AA or any of the prophecy folks BUT he does have a particular skill - sword making.  The show made this clear to us.  I personally think Sam will discover something that has to be included in swords in order to kill others and I think Gendry is the guy to make the sword.  I also think Gendry brings Baratheon blood, royal blood, to the party and I think he has a role to play.

There is a theory that Gendry is actually the only child of Robert and Cersei.  Some sources say the infant died and others say the child lived, but got sick and died.  It is possible that Cersei got rid of the child because she did not want to raise one of Robert's heirs.  If that theory were true, that would make Gendry totally legitimate and important.  I don't know how tinfoil this is but with 13 or 14 eps left, bringing a character we already know to the fore to play a key role in the great battle is not beyond the pale.  

Archived