Game of Thrones...Dynasty Warriors

I'm not sure how many of you have played Dynasty Warriors, but while playing it earlier, I realized just how perfectly A Song of Ice and Fire fits into the genre.

Dynasty Warriors, for those of you who do not know, is a series in which the character you play as mows down countless enemies in pursuit of a goal in each level. Between levels, the story unfolds, along with many plot twists along the way.

In some battles, seemingly unavoidable consequences occur. A general may get sick, or wounded, and then die after the battle ends, according to the plot.

While perhaps it is rather clear in Game of Thrones that no character, except perhaps the mighty Barristan Selmy, could mow down many foes, the enormous battles with countless characters would certainly put it on par with the game series.

Instead of the series focusing on the three major kingdoms in China, along with other outsiders, the game would focus on the Starks, the Lannisters, and the Baratheons, along with other outsiders (Daenerys?). Like the game series, there would be one horrific battle that would cause the decline for each group.

-The Baratheons: The Battle of the Blackwater

-The Starks: The Red Wedding

-The Lannisters: The Battle in the Whispering Wood

Like the games, each scenario would have hypothetical situations that could prevent that fateful battle from ending poorly. By preventing the deaths of Rodrik Cassel and Ned Stark, perhaps Robb wouldn't have died at the Red Wedding (well, I guess that's a bit of a no brainer with Ned. All the same...). Or, by negotiating peace with Renly, the Battle of the Blackwater could've become a smashing success.

With the many names of Game of Thrones constantly moving the events, it would allow for many playable characters.

The series even has its own Lu Bu in the form of Gregor Clegane.

The Telltales game was fun, the many many mods for strategy games are good too. But I think a Dynasty Warriors game would really be the best fit for Game of Thrones.

Besides, who wouldn't want to play a game as Shagga?

6 hours ago, Knight of the Hungry Cow said:

I'm not sure how many of you have played Dynasty Warriors, but while playing it earlier, I realized just how perfectly A Song of Ice and Fire fits into the genre.

Dynasty Warriors, for those of you who do not know, is a series in which the character you play as mows down countless enemies in pursuit of a goal in each level. Between levels, the story unfolds, along with many plot twists along the way.

In some battles, seemingly unavoidable consequences occur. A general may get sick, or wounded, and then die after the battle ends, according to the plot.

While perhaps it is rather clear in Game of Thrones that no character, except perhaps the mighty Barristan Selmy, could mow down many foes, the enormous battles with countless characters would certainly put it on par with the game series.

Instead of the series focusing on the three major kingdoms in China, along with other outsiders, the game would focus on the Starks, the Lannisters, and the Baratheons, along with other outsiders (Daenerys?). Like the game series, there would be one horrific battle that would cause the decline for each group.

-The Baratheons: The Battle of the Blackwater

-The Starks: The Red Wedding

-The Lannisters: The Battle in the Whispering Wood

Like the games, each scenario would have hypothetical situations that could prevent that fateful battle from ending poorly. By preventing the deaths of Rodrik Cassel and Ned Stark, perhaps Robb wouldn't have died at the Red Wedding (well, I guess that's a bit of a no brainer with Ned. All the same...). Or, by negotiating peace with Renly, the Battle of the Blackwater could've become a smashing success.

With the many names of Game of Thrones constantly moving the events, it would allow for many playable characters.

The series even has its own Lu Bu in the form of Gregor Clegane.

The Telltales game was fun, the many many mods for strategy games are good too. But I think a Dynasty Warriors game would really be the best fit for Game of Thrones.

Besides, who wouldn't want to play a game as Shagga?

I never played Dinasty Warriors , but i playedWarriors of Orochi wich is almost the same i think, just includes  Samurari Warriors characters too, and my favorite was samurai warriors 2 - empires it look more fitting to a ASOIAF game it have a lot of fighting but it had an attack and defend in turns part a little like the table game "war". It was also about war strategy and pollitics, and conquerring a whole kingdom, with need of choosing good policies in order to have wealth and prosperity, make alliances, deal with rebellions and plot against foes, very much like ASOIAF.

I liked the telltalle series too but they should do something else than the Forresters story, something with only the characters of GRRM, even if not about the main series. Something about the pre series time, like Blackfyre rebbelion, dance of the dragons, conquer of the andals, Egg and Dunk tales.

3 hours ago, Lord Asher Forrester said:

I never played Dinasty Warriors , but i playedWarriors of Orochi wich is almost the same i think, just includes  Samurari Warriors characters too, and my favorite was samurai warriors 2 - empires it look more fitting to a ASOIAF game it have a lot of fighting but it had an attack and defend in turns part a little like the table game "war". It was also about war strategy and pollitics, and conquerring a whole kingdom, with need of choosing good policies in order to have wealth and prosperity, make alliances, deal with rebellions and plot against foes, very much like ASOIAF.

Strategy is an integral part of what makes the experience of ASOIAF tick - not just the awesome fights but why this person is in the situation fighting the other and who set them up to do it

11 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

For a closer representation of the battles of ASOIAF, more so than Dynasty Warriors, I'd look at Medieval: Total War.

In case you haven't played it, there is this mod for Medieval: Total War called Westeros: Total War. It is certainly one of the best ASOIAF mods out there (though I personally think the Crusader Kings Mod is the best ASOIAF mod overall).

Though, while the combat is more accurate to the series overall, the Total War games tend to be lacking in story, besides the brief introduction clips (which are unfortunately not in all of them, either). For story purposes, I think a Warriors game would be able to accomplish that more readily.

Archived