Daily Annoyance, The Eternal

Datepalm

On 19.1.2017 at 4:01 AM, drawkcabi said:

Having a gout attack :(:(:(:( 

A very bad one. Can't walk.

And I had been watching my intake of foods rich in purines as well, and I thought pretty good, but apparently not.

Oh agg-own-eeee!

Bad, I feel your pain. I have had gout attacks for more than 10 years although usually less than once a year and once with a break of more than 4 years. What pisses me off is that I never drank a lot of alcohol, only ate moderate amounts of meat and ate fairly health overall, was not overweight or only about 5-10 kilos (close to 80 instead of close to 70) but apparently I inherited the tendency from my father. Now it seems that my left toe, the joint that was most often affected (I had two attacks in the knee, including the worst of all in 2011) shows already arthrosis, probably caused by gout. And I am only 44...

14 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Damn, dude, sorry youre dealing with this.  Hang in there!

37 minutes ago, Jo498 said:

Bad, I feel your pain. I have had gout attacks for more than 10 years although usually less than once a year and once with a break of more than 4 years. What pisses me off is that I never drank a lot of alcohol, only ate moderate amounts of meat and ate fairly health overall, was not overweight or only about 5-10 kilos (close to 80 instead of close to 70) but apparently I inherited the tendency from my father. Now it seems that my left toe, the joint that was most often affected (I had two attacks in the knee, including the worst of all in 2011) shows already arthrosis, probably caused by gout. And I am only 44...

Thanks, so sorry about your gout situation too!

Right now it's my left toe but six months ago is was my right one. I am overweight and I wasn't eating right before, but I thought I had been lately. No organ meats, not much meat at all, much less processed sugar, and never any alcohol. But my father has it, his sister, his father, so it's all in that side of the family.

So from my dad's side of the family I've inherited gout, restless leg syndrome, hypertension, and thalassemia, from my mom's a tendency towards obesity and her dad, her brother, and her dad's mother all had stomach cancer. Yikes. Guess it's good I don't have kids.

In my case, I rarely drink alcohol and not so much meat although I do still eat meat. I will also take pills to reduce the uric acid. I don't remember it exactly but most of my attacks were not directly connected to drinking or eating too much. As I hardly drink anymore I usually remember when I drank more than a glass (parties or holidays) and the attacks occurred at other times. I guess it is not so simple. There is probably also an influence of cold weather although again most of the attacks I remember were in spring/summer... In any case I am really surprised that something like 8 attacks in 11 years could already lead to arthrosis/degeneration in that joint. Probably the above threshold amount of uric acid can hurt the joints even without acute attacks. So it seems really important to get those acid concentration down, by diet, medication or both...

28 minutes ago, Jo498 said:

snip

Agreed.

The doctor gave me allopurinol last time I had a gout attack and I only took it until I was feeling better. I thought I could manage my gout through diet and exercise alone and that was better than adding another medicine to my all ready too extensive regime. I now believe I was wrong though and have started back on the allopurinol and won't stop even when I feel 100% better.

You probably know that allopurinol does not very much against an actual atack, for the attack you need diclofenac or something like that (for me Etoricoxib worked much better but because it is more expensive I have to plead with the doctor to prescribe it). As I am fortunately not taking any other regular meds I will go with allopurinol for a few months and watch my diet and then have the uric acid level checked again. I hope you'll get well soon (I feel almost healthy now as gout (+bad eyesight) is almost the only health restriction I have.)

10 hours ago, Jo498 said:

You probably know that allopurinol does not very much against an actual atack, for the attack you need diclofenac or something like that (for me Etoricoxib worked much better but because it is more expensive I have to plead with the doctor to prescribe it). As I am fortunately not taking any other regular meds I will go with allopurinol for a few months and watch my diet and then have the uric acid level checked again. I hope you'll get well soon (I feel almost healthy now as gout (+bad eyesight) is almost the only health restriction I have.)

Yep, last summer they gave me colchicine for a gout attack. This time I didn't go to the doctor, just started taking the allopurinol again, switched back and forth between Tylenol and Ibuprofen, ate cherries, bananas, and pomegranates. Feeling better now.

Someone in the building opposite me has their TV up so loud that I can literally hear every word from in my flat, clear across the garden with the windows closed. If they don't turn it down by 10:30pmish (it's a Tuesday) I might actually do a Grumpy Old Grandma and go and tell them to turn it down.

Archived