Public transportation & tolerant communities

Angalin

As someone who relies entirely on public transport and uses it every day, I can say conclusively that there is nothing which is less likely to make me feel well-disposed towards my fellow humans and I'm pretty certain the feeling is mutual. Seriously, anyone who has spent time on a packed commuter train in 35+ degrees Celsius with a stranger clipping their toenails to the left of them yes that happens and someone's hacking, wet cough spraying to their right could tell you that it promotes the exact opposite of empathy and supportive community spirit. In fact, I really really don't think it's a coincidence that so many of the racist incidents which go viral from my city take place on public transport.

What I do think makes a difference is having public leisure spaces which people from different groups can enjoy together, and where they can interact by choice rather than by virtue of having their faces squished into one another's armpits.

I'm riding the bus to work right now. I work shift and most of the people I share the bus with have done so for about ten years. New people appear from time to time but it's a slow process. I have talked to very few people apart from the bus drivers . There was one guy I used to converse with from time to time but he has since retired(and we got on at the same stop). Commuting to work just is not the same as traveling for leisure at least to me.

For me, cultural inclusion exists at Target.  Whatever our background or belief system, we all go to Target.  For toothpaste and toilet paper and nifty home storage solutions.  We all have our carts and our agendas and they are not so different.  You want Savory Salmon for your cat?  So do I!  Sorry about encroaching on your space while trying to get to the pizza rolls.  You zoned out in the middle of an aisle while trying to choose a hand soap?  Don't worry about it, just let me slide by.

Granted, it's Minnesota but can't we all revel in the things we have in common?

I remember some years ago after Iran was included in the Axis of Evil seeing a report on Iranians which included a garage band playing a Megadeth cover and I felt such affection for them--we are different but we all love Wake Up Dead.

tl;dr:  why fuss?  the things we have in common should smooth the path to explore the areas in which we differ.

Archived