UK Politics IV

Zoë Sumra

A couple of dumb questions from an American:

Do most people in the UK get election day off from work tomorrow, or is it just another work day?

Do you have a well-developed absentee ballot system? Are there many people who have already voted, as there are now in many parts of the US way before the actual election day?

Nope normal working day here. We have a postal vote system, which is rife with voting fraud apparently.

I have just found out that I can monimate the some of the money I pay to my union not to go to the Labour party! Yay!! I'm not sure if that means I can pay less, or what happens to the bit left over but its a step in the right direction.

Who's going to organize them? Are there any unions left?

A public sector strike is a rather disheartening affair. There is a limit as to how many can picket each locale, and in any case, a number of their non-union colleagues will happily work overtime to cover the slack.

A public sector strike is a rather disheartening affair. There is a limit as to how many can picket each locale, and in any case, a number of their non-union colleagues will happily work overtime to cover the slack.

With large scale cuts, an possible redundacies you may find the non-union memebers just as unhappy.

From what I've been led to understand, that the cuts are going to be similar if not worse than Thatchers. I was too young in the 1980's to have paid much attention, however my general impression was a lot of people were quite unhappy.

A couple of dumb questions from an American:

Do most people in the UK get election day off from work tomorrow, or is it just another work day?

Do you have a well-developed absentee ballot system? Are there many people who have already voted, as there are now in many parts of the US way before the actual election day?

Polls are open for a long time though (they open at 7am? and close at 10pm), and there are so many polling booths that you never have to queue. It's not like the hanging-chad nonsense, it's all still putting a cross on a bit of paper which is then hand-counted throughout the night. The Tory constituencies are bigger and more remote and so take longer to count, so it always looks like Labour are doing well as the first few results come in, but it starts to even out around dawn and we'll probably have the result by midday Friday at the latest.

Archived