A noobs plea for advice

Hey guys,

First post on this (awesome) site. I have been browsing these forums and found out about total war and the mods, and thought - i have to get this!!

so i have purchased my very on MED 2 and Kingdoms and am about to start playing.

As a TOTAL NOOB to TW i thought i would ask you guys how you would recommend starting the game. I ahve never played any total war game before, just the demo. Some questions i need advise with are things such as

- Should I play the main vanilla game first before installing the mod

- Should install stainless steel right from first play?

Any other tips/advise for a first time player would be apprecaited!

Can i also just say big thanks to any one involved in the making of these mods and anyone who helps us noobs with getting our games started too, apprecaited

Thanks!

Hi!

Yes, you should play the vanilla game first. Get a feeling for the game etc. Then, after you played some time, install stainless steel. It is really much, much, better than vanilla- But also harder. So you should have some experience.

You could try the westeros mod after you played some vanilla games; But i`d rather wait. The current westeros mod doesn`t offer much, and in some cases less than vanilla. I would wait till we release the next version; It will certainly be a worthy westeros games. ;)

I`m sure that stainless steel will keep you occupied until then. (And you could also try the third age total war mod; An awesome lord of the rings mod.)

Hi!

Yes, you should play the vanilla game first. Get a feeling for the game etc. Then, after you played some time, install stainless steel. It is really much, much, better than vanilla- But also harder. So you should have some experience.

You could try the westeros mod after you played some vanilla games; But i`d rather wait. The current westeros mod doesn`t offer much, and in some cases less than vanilla. I would wait till we release the next version; It will certainly be a worthy westeros games. ;)

I`m sure that stainless steel will keep you occupied until then. (And you could also try the third age total war mod; An awesome lord of the rings mod.)

Thanks bud! Sounds like good advice.

Is there difficulty options in TW that can be changed as I get better at the game? Any word on when the next version is out?

Thanks bud! Sounds like good advice.

Is there difficulty options in TW that can be changed as I get better at the game? Any word on when the next version is out?

Yes. From easy to very hard everything is included. You can set how good the a.i is on the world map and on the battlemap.

But the a.i isn`t the best.. Might challenge a new player, but with some experience Very hard/Very Hard is still very easy. Thus many mods add additional obstacles.

We can`t say when the next version will be released; Only that it will still take some time. If we are lucky we might finish it this year.

/Edit since you seem to have some interest in the medieval 2 game, you should visit this forum: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php

It is a very big forum, dedicated to all the Total War Games. If you need informations you can find no better place. ;)

Many mods also got their very own forum section there, like our westeros mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721

Yes. From easy to very hard everything is included. You can set how good the a.i is on the world map and on the battlemap.

But the a.i isn`t the best.. Might challenge a new player, but with some experience Very hard/Very Hard is still very easy. Thus many mods add additional obstacles.

We can`t say when the next version will be released; Only that it will still take some time. If we are lucky we might finish it this year.

/Edit since you seem to have some interest in the medieval 2 game, you should visit this forum: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php

It is a very big forum, dedicated to all the Total War Games. If you need informations you can find no better place. ;)

Many mods also got their very own forum section there, like our westeros mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721

Lordinquisitor is a hero. It is known

Thanks for the tips, thats the way il play it then.

Il give it a rattle on the vinilla game on easy, then install stainless steel and maybe notch it up a bit harder. then once i have mastered the world and spread blight and terror il move my campaigns to enslaving middle earth!

tho i tried to install it on the lap top yesterday, flipin DVD drive is busted! and if my home computer went any slower it would actually start going back in time! maybe il try and sell the game to a mate and download off steam.

Do you work on the mod? From the videos and reports ive seen it looks great, you guys deserve a shout out for the efforts yous have went to for the fans!

Thats what i love most about ASOIAF, i only learnt about the TV series as its being filmed about 5 miles away from where i live, as im a fan of the genre thought id check out the books. I discovered they wer uncredible and had this massive community fan base.

Great stuff lol.

Yes, i work on the westeros mod. I skin (e.g create uniforms for units) and also work on character traits and retinues. (You`ll understand this better once you started playing medieval 2.) ;)

im tryin to install the game and it needs more space on the c drive, but my c drive is so small, is ther any way i can save the game to my portable hard drive?

i cant see an option to chose where to store it too?

thanks

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I'm also new to TW and would love to try it in anticipation of the Westeros mod. Does it matter which TW version I buy? Is the mod specifically for one of the games?

Thanks!

You need the Medieval 2:Total War version and its expansion, Kingdoms.

Hey guys, I'm also new to TW and would love to try it in anticipation of the Westeros mod. Does it matter which TW version I buy? Is the mod specifically for one of the games?

Thanks!

As already said, you need Medieval II: Total War and its expansion Kingdoms. They are available together as the Medieval II: Total War Gold Edition pack. I recommend getting a physical copy from a shop or from Amazon, as getting mods to work with the Steam or other download versions is annoying.

• 6 months later...

Dear all,

sorry, this request below is to do with the current topic, apologies for hi-jacking the conversation, but any help you could give me (and the topic I think is of interest to all) would be very appreciated =)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

My name is Phil, and basically I have no idea if I'm on the right site or not, because I have the computing skills of a well-done sausage. However, since you good people on this site all seem to know what's what, I was wondering if the gamers among you could answer this question, or perhaps let me know who else to ask? If so, I'd be very grateful!

Basically I downloaded the Westeros Total War mod, using the Medieval Kingdoms upload. It's a great game, and it works fine in all respects EXCEPT that every time I try to play a battle on it, the thing crashes and dies on me. I have no idea why, and you can imagine it's pretty frustrating! So if anyone can help me out with this, please do, and if you need any history coursework marked or anything, or some kind of favour within my meagre ability, I'd be more than happy to help out!

many thanks,

Philip

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

sorry, this request below is to do with the current topic, apologies for hi-jacking the conversation, but any help you could give me (and the topic I think is of interest to all) would be very appreciated =)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

My name is Phil, and basically I have no idea if I'm on the right site or not, because I have the computing skills of a well-done sausage. However, since you good people on this site all seem to know what's what, I was wondering if the gamers among you could answer this question, or perhaps let me know who else to ask? If so, I'd be very grateful!

Basically I downloaded the Westeros Total War mod, using the Medieval Kingdoms upload. It's a great game, and it works fine in all respects EXCEPT that every time I try to play a battle on it, the thing crashes and dies on me. I have no idea why, and you can imagine it's pretty frustrating! So if anyone can help me out with this, please do, and if you need any history coursework marked or anything, or some kind of favour within my meagre ability, I'd be more than happy to help out!

many thanks,

Philip

I've had a similar problem playing the latest version of Third Age Total War. Apparently it had to do with the computer's daylight savings time automatic update. I disabled that from my computer's clock and now it works fine. If that is not the problem, I recommend you go on the Westeros Total War forums at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721 and look for solutions there.

Archived