What Character Do You Identify With Most Strongly?

Monday

Davos - because I too am a working class hero.

Sansa - because she fits into a lit tradition of girls who read too much, with which I identify but also have studied a fair bit.

As this will instantly tell you, I have a bit of a split personality

Not to sound judging or anything, but...

Wow, lots of people here like to see themselves as unpleasant people. Or quietly heroic, awaiting destiny's call.

I'm waiting for "Dude, nobody can pound back KFC and waffles like me...Manderly for the win!"

Arya. I was always a little jealous of my sister, too. Somewhat of a tomboy. And I never really knew how to conform to everyone's expectations growing up. She's always been cynical and hesitant to trust. But mostly it's just that she is so lost. She is one of the only characters in the book that doesn't have a clear purpose. She keeps trying to get home - back to that place where she can be who she is. But she keeps finding herself farther and farther away. She has amazing survivor instincts and the ability to adapt to her circumstances. But no matter how many times she changes her name, she knows deep down that that isn't who she really is. I have definitely had periods in my life where I have felt like I was just biding my time, getting by, until I figure out what I am really supposed to be doing. I think I have the most hopes for her character as well.

Davos because I am fiercely loyal to my benefactors and family.

Sansa because I was an idealistic teenager who fucked up lots of shit but learned...eventually.

Tyrion because I use humor as my armor and never give up trying to make something for myself in the world.

Honestly, probably Sandor Clegane. Not that I'm actually like him, at all, but I feel like I can relate with the way he sees the world, but in a less intense way. I have been blessed with a good life so far, but if I had grown up in an awful situation (like Sandor), I could see myself becoming extremely bitter and cynical like him.

• 1 month later...

Brienne - every time I find a major young female character who is not particularily pretty but is still a good character, my favourite is picked. I relate much better with plain (or even ugly) girls than with beauties. (Haha guess what it tells about me.) Plus, sometimes Brienne's interpretation of everything towards her for the worst sounds painfully familiar, as does her idealism and struggle to do the good thing.

Margaery - another young woman favourite. She's strong and smart without being a tomboy or a "kick-ass babe", two totally over-used ways of writing a strong young woman. I always found it problematic that young female characters I liked (ie not the stupid weak wannabe-princesses) were the warriors. I have no especial fondeness for butchering people with a sword.

Davos - the attitude of being honest even if it's not the smartest or most advantageous thing to do is something I have and which sometimes gets me into trouble, thus I can relate with Davos very well.

Apart from these three, I identify with Jaime's way of laughing at himself (he's less evil to himself than Tyrion for example), Varys's (claimed) detachment from the game of thrones, Rodrik Harlaw's bookishness and Asha's quest for peace and feminism (although I don't really like her apart from that).

For me, it would probably be either Bryden Tully of Doran Martell. I'm fairly cerebral, and tend to keep people at a distance. Oh, and I don't have the best of relationships with my family. I'm neither gouty nor weirdly determined to remain unmarried, however.

Jon Snow.

I'm egocentric, whiny, easily provoked and perceive myself as more of an outsider than I actually am. Of particular resemblance is Jon's ability to relentlessly huff and puff even when life is treating him really well, all things considered. I fully expect him to be furious at Eddard when he finds out his true parentage.

I chose Robb for a few reasons. Although my sister is two years older I was forced to defend her throughout our childhoods, and I was generally forced to grow up at a young age due to parenting issues. I own a house and have a mortgage at age twenty three (not bragging, I am broke) and I can just really relate to the Robb from the first book, the boy that gets way over his head and tries his best to do what is right without letting people other than his siblings see his struggle. Although Catelyn has a good eye through his walls!

Sadly, rereading my paragraph sounds nothing like Robb, so I guess it is more of a personal connection.

I shall probably be bombarded with a thousand arrows for this, but...

Catelyn because she is a character who is strong, emotionally, and has a sense of duty and responsibility, like me. I am also similar to her in worldview, in that I am not very naive and try to be pragmatic in the center of a "mob", and desire peace above war(diplomacy before violence).

Archived