Feasible situations you couldn't stands

The Isle of Faces

5) I don't want Arya to live. This is certainly not a deal breaker, but I think Arya's whole life's path to this point is to have her whole life be one swirling whirlpool of death and destruction taht, in the end, consumes her as well.

Killing the most persistently sympathetic and tragic figure since the first book is beyond a deal breaker for me. At that point, I would regret ever having started the series. Seriously, why would anything matter at that point? The others take them all. . .

There are very few things, if any, that I DO NOT want to see. My theory is that Martin is such a good writer and he has gotten me THIS far enjoying things I never thought I would have enjoyed that no matter what I read, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's for the better story. Hence, even if I read that Jon Snow wakes up one day and can shoot fireballs out of his ass, I'll read 7 or 8 more chapters before I think, "Okay, that's just horse shit."

The things I really do NOT want to see happen are more generalizations:

1) I don't want to see anymore dead people come back to life. It cheapens the finality of death and the dangerousness of the realm.

2) I don't want to see anymore brand new characters that I have to spend 3 chapters just getting to know their back-story. That was such a huge albatross around AFfC proverbial neck: I had to read so many new people (who I did not care about) and get to know them before the actually DID anything (and in many case,s most of those characters never actually DID anything).

3) I don't want to see regurgitation of the same angst. Yes, Jon, I know - you're a bastard, never meant to inherit Winterfell. And yes, Tyrion, I am aware, you are a dwarf. Oh, and that daddy never loved you. Gotcha. Now, can we all move on from here? Please?

As far as more specific things:

1) I don't want Jon's "Life On Easy-Street" to continue. All or virtually all of Jon's success has come through no action or desire on his own part. He gets a wolf he did nothing to earn, he got a Valarian Steel Sword for doing his duty (after we were tole 5,409 times that the Men of the Night's watch will win no glories etc.); Qurion Half-hand treats him like a son after knowing him for all of 1 hour; he gets over 500 men to vote for him for commander of the Watch after not even speaking or meeting any of them, nor ever casting a vote in the election. Even Jon's enemies are hopelessly laughable. This cannot continue. Its been 4 books; I need to start to see some more to Jon other than "I'll just stand here and wait for the awesome to happen to me."

And this includes what may happen once Jon's lineage is revealed - once its clear that he is almost certainly a Targ and almost certainly in line for the throne. I DO NOT want to see Jon Snow simply get a pass for his service on the Wall and them all just say, "Go be King, Jon snow! You've earned it! (you know? Like every single scene in the new show). That would just blow.

2) I don't want Cersei to die BEFORE her children. That's cruel, right? But fitting.

3) I don't want the Ironborn to take up a disproportionate amount of the next several books. Holy hell, they bore me to tears.

4) I don't want Jaime or Selmy to live. This is not out of some strange sense of cruelty or hatred of either character - I like them both a great deal. However, I think there is something important to be said about doing your duty to the bitter end.

5) I don't want Arya to live. This is certainly not a deal breaker, but I think Arya's whole life's path to this point is to have her whole life be one swirling whirlpool of death and destruction taht, in the end, consumes her as well.

6) I don't want Dany to fail; I don't want Sansa to fail.

7) I don't want Stannis to die in the same way that Robert did or that Renly did. I want Stannis to die the way Stannis wants to die: doing his duty.

I mean, again, none ofthese are deal breakers- in fact if all I what I do not want to happen actually happens, I think I'm still cool with the books.

Agree with everything except points 5 and 6.

Things that would leave me unhappy:

• Arya not killing anybody at all from her original hit list.
  • Stannis getting killed before winning some major battle and reviving the "nasty mazafaka compared to whom even people of Tywin's, Eddard's and Mace's caliber look like unqorthy pieces of brown" vibe we all had when reading the first book.
  • Davos not becoming King's Hand (whoever the king might be).
  • Cersei not dying some gruesome death that will be horrible even by freaking Gregor Clegane's standards.
  • Shagga son of Dolf kicking a bucket

Oh, I know I'm not going to get this one, but I don't want Tommen to die.

King Tommen is such a sweet little guy.

Arya + Podrick, that's from AFFC so it's not a spoiler. And the hope is that Manderly is lying to Cersei to get his son back and either Davos escapes danger or else House Manderly has secretly declared for Stannis and he's doing what it takes to hide this from the throne for the time being.

What I would hate:

- Daenerys being Queen of Westeros

- Jon being King of Westeros

- The Ironborn not ending up being sold to the Slavers Bay*

* good source of funds to help reconstruct the Seven Kingdoms

Ah, finally, someone that is not for Daenerys becoming the ruler of Westeros. Thank you. I can feel that's the way things are moving but I hate it. I don't know why and I can't put my finger on it, but I've hated Dany from the start. But I guess that if it's not her, than who? I guess she's the only one with any actual claim, besides Stannis. I think I'd take Stannis over Dany though. She sucks.

Arya + Podrick, that's from AFFC so it's not a spoiler. And the hope is that Manderly is lying to Cersei to get his son back and either Davos escapes danger or else House Manderly has secretly declared for Stannis and he's doing what it takes to hide this from the throne for the time being.

Ah, I was hoping it was something like this when I read Feast. Seemed out of character from Manderly.

Ah, finally, someone that is not for Daenerys becoming the ruler of Westeros. Thank you. I can feel that's the way things are moving but I hate it. I don't know why and I can't put my finger on it, but I've hated Dany from the start. But I guess that if it's not her, than who? I guess she's the only one with any actual claim, besides Stannis. I think I'd take Stannis over Dany though. She sucks.

Nah, there are plenty of people I assume, who don't like Dany. The only reason I'm not in her 'camp' is because of her Targaryen heritage, her sympathy for her mad father and her waxing lyrical for Rhaegar. And, I guess, her bloodlust for Starks.

Oh, I'll also have a beer when I turn out to be right, so I'll definitely enjoy that beer.

So, whether you're wrong or right about TEC you'll be enjoying a beer - smart! So will I! :thumbsup:

Yes, it was. However the part of his post that I did not quote is something that is introduced in Dany's chapters in ADWD.

Well, my apologies but I think you can see how I thought you we're talking about the "Mummer's Dragon" being a spoiler.

It's not that I'm not a fan of Dany... I suppose I'm indifferent, really. But her conquering Westeros with dragons and winning the Iron Throne fulfilling prophecies and whatnot, it just seems too expected for Martin to go through with it.

We see the obstacles in front of her, but they seem small in light of what appears to be her destiny. Dany and two others riding her dragons across the sea like they were going to a quidditch match seems too obvious and simple for Martin to go through with. I'm hoping he throws a major wrench in her scheme.

Bronn could already be dead, didn't Cersei send an assassin to kill him in aFfC after she heard he named Lolly's baby Tyrion?

And if Daenerys is to end up Queen, I'd liek for her to be seriously mutilated, like with 1 arm, 1 ear and a few toes missing or something :P

It's not that I'm not a fan of Dany... I suppose I'm indifferent, really. But her conquering Westeros with dragons and winning the Iron Throne fulfilling prophecies and whatnot, it just seems too expected for Martin to go through with it.

We see the obstacles in front of her, but they seem small in light of what appears to be her destiny. Dany and two others riding her dragons across the sea like they were going to a quidditch match seems too obvious and simple for Martin to go through with. I'm hoping he throws a major wrench in her scheme.

I think I just realized by reading this what is that I don't really like about Dany:

all she has has ben given to her by others, she didn't fight for it, schemed for it, at most she lied for it in a very simple way.

Dragons? A gift.

Soldiers? Given by her husband first, by some deeply stupid slavers after that.

Men? People who came to her without her even asking, just because she's a Targaryen or because she's hot.

Compare her struggles to those of other characters who actually had to do something difficult to gain half as much, like Tyrion, or Rob, or... anyone, really.

Bronn could already be dead, didn't Cersei send an assassin to kill him in aFfC after she heard he named Lolly's baby Tyrion?

No, she asked Lady Falyse Stokeworth and her husband to arrange a hunting accident for him, but Falyse's husband was too stupid for that and challenged Bronn to fight him in single combat. Bronn killed him and kicked Falyse out and when she went to tell Cersei about it, Cersei gave her to Qyburn. So Bronn's wife is now the heir to dying Lady Tanda and he is essentially Lord Stokeworth.

Archived