Sandor Clegane v 10

Does Sandor ever talk about wanting a family? I keep thinking he'll be the one to get Sansa pregnant based on the foreshadowing we've seen.

Didn't he say it wasn't an option for him since he was working for the Lannisters? I'm sure its implied that if he hadn't gotten burned and mentally screwed up by his brother he would have a family.

Sandor will get Sansa pregnant. It is known.

I hope Sansa eventually sings that to him someday, since it was the one he really wanted, and you're right that it does seem significant to their story. Too bad the song is probably tainted now for Sansa, thanks to Ser Dontos. :ack:

I assume they sing the Mother's Hymn fairly frequently at the Quiet Isle. I wonder how Sandor feels every time he hears it. It's bound to take him back to that night with Sansa.

Re-reading their scenes in ACoK it really seems to me that the Florian/Jonquil theme functions as an extra textual layer to their dialogues - there's the scene where he mocks her for her love of romantic ballads ("a fool and his cunt" - very nice touch, Sandor :dunce: ). Later, when he asks her for a song, he wants Florian and Jonquil - in this context this can certainly be read as a plea for love, something she can't give him at that time (being a traumatized and terrified child), what she can give him (and what actually needs more at that point) is compassion, singing the Mother's Song.

Martin just writes scenes like this so beautifully and complex, so it's a complete joy to re-read the books since the text often works on so many levels, which bring a lot of subtle complexity into character dynamics.

Sansa's interaction with Dontos seemed to be Martin's way to parody such typically "romantic" songs such as Florian and Jonquil. Dontos was just a drunken lecher, and Sansa was quite often annoyed with his incompetence :) Anyways, I agree that Sandor seemed to want the song, even though he savagely mocked it. I think he wanted to condemn all these things Sansa holds precious, but at the same time is obviously weirdly attracted to them.

Didn't he say it wasn't an option for him since he was working for the Lannisters? I'm sure its implied that if he hadn't gotten burned and mentally screwed up by his brother he would have a family.

Sandor will get Sansa pregnant. It is known.

It is known. The bloody cloak, the puppies, the dreams... it's all there.

Sansa's interaction with Dontos seemed to be Martin's way to parody such typically "romantic" songs such as Florian and Jonquil. Dontos was just a drunken lecher, and Sansa was quite often annoyed with his incompetence :) Anyways, I agree that Sandor seemed to want the song, even though he savagely mocked it. I think he wanted to condemn all these things Sansa holds precious, but at the same time is obviously weirdly attracted to them.

:agree:

I can't remember if it was him who wanted to name himself her Florian - if it is so, then it also says something significant of his character, that he's trying to live an illusion that he's a knight in shining armour when he's really just LF's catspaw and as well as a drunken fool. And I really don't like his pawings and slobbering kisses :ack: !

It is known. The bloody cloak, the puppies, the dreams... it's all there.

Also there's her dream of her 3 future sons and the one daughter who looks like Arya........who was continually mistaken for Sandor's Son/Daughter.

Actually it seems very little attention is paid to Sansa's dreams and visions. The scene with the two castle clouds was IMHO very odd, but I'm not sure what it could mean.

I can't remember if it was him who wanted to name himself her Florian - if it is so, then it also says something significant of his character, that he's trying to live an illusion that he's a knight in shining armour when he's really just LF's catspaw and as well as a drunken fool. And I really don't like his pawings and slobbering kisses :ack: !

Yup it was him, and Sansa being desperate and scared, accepted it. You know after a reread, I really don't like Dontos. At first I just pitied him but even that's dissipating.

Eww I know, those slobbery, drunk kisses must've been the worse! :ack:

Yup it was him, and Sansa being desperate and scared, accepted it. You know after a reread, I really don't like Dontos. At first I just pitied him but even that's dissipating.

She does seem to attract more than her fair share of older, pervey men, poor mite. Though LF certainly takes the prize.

Also there's her dream of her 3 future sons and the one daughter who looks like Arya........who was continually mistaken for Sandor's Son/Daughter.

Actually it seems very little attention is paid to Sansa's dreams and visions. The scene with the two castle clouds was IMHO very odd, but I'm not sure what it could mean.

What are the specifics of that dream Rapsie? I can't remember it at all, but I do think her dreams are very important.

If you know the page/book (paperback version) its in I'll gladly analyze it.

Littlefinger takes the prize, but Sandor is the sexiest. Take the good with the bad. ;)

Always found Sandor to a very compelling character, especially for a non-POV. Didn't get the "sexy" vibe until I saw the show, then came the inappropriate thoughts. Kudos to Rory McCann to making the figure sexy beneath beard, burn scar and greasy hair!

Always found Sandor to a very compelling character, especially for a non-POV. Didn't get the "sexy" vibe until I saw the show, then came the inappropriate thoughts. Kudos to Rory McCann to making the figure sexy beneath beard, burn scar and greasy hair!

He all but confirmed it for me. ;)

Ok back on topic!

UGH, even on my first read-through, whenever she met with Dontos, I was mentally screaming, RUN, GURRRRL, RUNNNNN!

Does Sandor ever talk about wanting a family? I keep thinking he'll be the one to get Sansa pregnant based on the foreshadowing we've seen.

Specifically, what foreshadowing are you thinking of? There's the stuff about Sansa dreaming of "puppies" on her lap.

They're definitely popping out a kid or more in the future :)

Ahh, I wish we knew the lyrics to that darn song! Of course, there must be a reason it's being withheld from us, and we all know what that reason is.........because it would give too much away. We're onto you, George RR. Don't think we aren't, because we saw everything.

Rory makes it happen.

I just re-read that part in CoK when he first started hanging around her, Dontos I mean. Ugh no thank you. Please GTFO and make room for Sandor.

Some of the early interactions between Sandor and Sansa in CoK I found very amusing. When he sort of pokes fun at her like "sure, all right little bird" when she lies about, say, praying for Joffrey. I snickered. You two are just something, together, I thought.

UGH, even on my first read-through, whenever she met with Dontos, I was mentally screaming, RUN, GURRRRL, RUNNNNN!

Same here, HH. I really thought he was just a pathetic drunk, who genuinely wanted to help Sansa. Yet another time where I learned not everything in this series is as it seems. Especially when it comes to Littlefinger and his schemes.

Some of the early interactions between Sandor and Sansa in CoK I found very amusing. When he sort of pokes fun at her like "sure, all right little bird" when she lies about, say, praying for Joffrey. I snickered. You two are just something, together, I thought.

Remember the serpentine steps? Loved them together in that scene. :lol:

Remember the serpentine steps? Loved them together in that scene. :lol:

That's the exact one I was talking about, actually! :lmao:

He just comes out from some shifty door, she's trying to hurry back to her room, and HELLO!

Same here, HH. I really thought he was just a pathetic drunk, who genuinely wanted to help Sansa. Yet another time where I learned not everything in this series is as it seems. Especially when it comes to Littlefinger and his schemes.

So I was reading GoT and Sansa's POV of Joffrey's first court session. She noted that LF stopped to talk to Dontos, and now I look at that scene like ..........."Ohhh, so they've been cohorts all along." Not that I think LF planned exactly what he did that far ahead, but clearly Dontos was on his roster to use in his machinations at court. Him and Ser Balon Swann, I think was the other.

Maybe we should make a list of all the foreshadowing we've noticed thus far that points towards a SanSan future.

1. King Robert telling Ned Stark to "get her a dog, she'll be happier for it" when Ned has to kill Lady.

2. Ned Stark telling Sansa that he'll make a match for her with someone worthy of her... someone "brave, gentle and strong"

3. Sansa fantasizing about puppies

4. Sansa's wedding dream with Sandor climbing into bed with her and saying "I'll have that song"

5. Sansa waking up with the blind old hound dog in her bed and affectionately petting him

6. Florian and Jonquil

7. Naerys and Aemon

.... and so much more

Archived