Sandor Clegane v 10

I think the other thread 10 has been merged to 9 as it was not locked when the thread started.

Anyway, guys please remember to keep on the topic and remember the MOD warning.

Anyway we were discussing the history of family Clegane.

I found this in So Spake Martin and wondered if it brings up some interesting points:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/To_Be_Continued_Chicago_IL_May_6_83/

"

When asked about the Clegane's mother ("Where the heck was she when Gregor was dipping Sandor's face in a brazier?", one lady wanted to know), he said that he didn't know. Probably dead by that time.

Sandor actually admired knights as a child, but was greatly disillusioned when his brute brother was actually knighted, by Rhaegar, no less. Hence his bitterness. He really hates Gregor.

Gregor is extremely dim.

I asked about the previous day's panel, when George had mentioned intentional mistakes. Was Sansa's memory of the Hound kissing her when he actually had not an intentional mistake? Why would she think that? He said it was in fact intentional, but he would not tell us why. I said he was mean, and he laughed at me.

We talked a bit about the children and their wolves. I mentioned Sansa just having a poor old crippled dog (the one in the Aerie) because she lost her wolf. He got a queer smile about his lips when I said that and nodded. Make of that what you will."

:) The old dog was a poor man's Hound, but an important indicator of how Sansa can be kind to animals (read real life humans) that may now be crippled, broken, and discarded. Sansa - the girl that once lusted after Loras Tyrell, came to see that she could love his brother Willas if he was kind and loving to her. I think that with Sandor's injury, and his deliberate retreat from the live he once lived, there could be hope for the two of them having the same kind of peaceful, secluded existence that Sansa found with Bryen's blind dog. Or maybe I'm just projecting my own desires onto the text ;)

I swear, this bit:

"We talked a bit about the children and their wolves. I mentioned Sansa just having a poor old crippled dog (the one in the Aerie) because she lost her wolf. He got a queer smile about his lips when I said that and nodded. Make of that what you will."

Poor old crippled dog...queer smile...UGH, if GRRM doesn't ship SanSan I will eat my hat.

If I had a hat.

Poor old crippled dog...queer smile...UGH, if GRRM doesn't ship SanSan I will eat my hat.

If I had a hat.

I keep coming back to the fact that he wrote for the tv show beauty and the beast for years. I have to believe the also ships them, (after Sandor has therapy/rehab and Sansa grows up of-course).

I keep coming back to the fact that he wrote for the tv show beauty and the beast for years. I have to believe the also ships them, (after Sandor has therapy/rehab and Sansa grows up of-course).

Not to mention he thought Ron Perlman would have been the perfect Sandor.

Yes, GRRM clearly ships them. I mean, who else does he really have to ship? Brienne and Jaime? Unlikely, and Jaime's great love affair is with his sister. Arya and Gendry? Again, too little interaction and not meaningful enough - maybe when she returns to Westeros, but in her role as a Faceless man romance is probably not going to be paramount. If GRRM is going to give us one grand romance in the series (besides the ones that have taken place before it started like Lyanna/Rhaegar) then it must be San/San. Not to mention Sansa's own bit of foreshadowing when she states she loved Joffrey as much as Naerys loved Aemon the Dragonknight ;)

Yes, GRRM clearly ships them. I mean, who else does he really have to ship? Brienne and Jaime? Unlikely, and Jaime's great love affair is with his sister. Arya and Gendry? Again, too little interaction and not meaningful enough - maybe when she returns to Westeros, but in her role as a Faceless man romance is probably not going to be paramount. If GRRM is going to give us one grand romance in the series (besides the ones that have taken place before it started like Lyanna/Rhaegar) then it must be San/San. Not to mention Sansa's own bit of foreshadowing when she states she loved Joffrey as much as Naerys loved Aemon the Dragonknight ;)

And Joff compared himself to Aegon the Unworthy. :D

I agree. The SanSan hints are there throughout the whole series.

I forget the Naerys/Aemon the Dragonknight story... what's the foreshadowing on that one?

I forget the Naerys/Aemon the Dragonknight story... what's the foreshadowing on that one?

Naerys/Aemon the Dragonknight seems a parallel to Cersei/Jaime (siblings, unlawnful relationship, queen/kingsguard), but that relationship is also mentioned by Margarey when Sansa warns her about Joffrey the second time. Hmmm... hopefully, that doesn't imply another incestuous relationship, one is quite enough!

I do think that the story of Florian and Jonquil is significant in relation to Sansa and Sandor - and I really want to know the specifics of the story!

Yes, GRRM clearly ships them. I mean, who else does he really have to ship? Brienne and Jaime?

I read in a post on a blog site that Sansan is the number one ship according to one poll (Bri and Jaime came in second), but there are also people who ship Sansa/Jaime. I find that almost worse than Sansa/Tyrion. Just as I would never forgive Cersei & Joffrey for killing Lady (if I were Sansa), I would never be able to forgive Jaime for pushing Bran out a window and everything else he has done to my family.

Aemon was the brother to Aegon the Unworthy, and a member of his KG, and it's rumored that he carried a secret love for Aegon's wife (also his sister) Naerys Targaryen. The irony is that Sansa doesn't realise that the love between Aemon and Naerys was secret and forbidden, and that she wasn't in love with her real husband at all. This obviously suggests that any relationship between her and Joffrey was always doomed and that perhaps she'll end up in some forbidden relationship with a member of his KG - or ex member, to be precise ;)

I read in a post on a blog site that Sansan is the number one ship according to one poll (Bri and Jaime came in second), but there are also people who ship Sansa/Jaime. I find that almost worse than Sansa/Tyrion. Just as I would never forgive Cersei & Joffrey for killing Lady (if I were Sansa), I would never be able to forgive Jaime for pushing Bran out a window and everything else he has done to my family.

Yes, Jaime/Sansa has to be even worse than Jon/Sansa and I didn't think anything could top that.

I do think that the story of Florian and Jonquil is significant in relation to Sansa and Sandor - and I really want to know the specifics of the story!

It seemed like referring to that story became a form of dirty talk for them, atleast on Sandor's end. Gotta love double entendre. ;)

Aemon was the brother to Aegon the Unworthy, and a member of his KG, and it's rumored that he carried a secret love for Aegon's wife (also his sister) Naerys Targaryen. The irony is that Sansa doesn't realise that the love between Aemon and Naerys was secret and forbidden, and that she wasn't in love with her real husband at all. This obviously suggests that any relationship between her and Joffrey was always doomed and that perhaps she'll end up in some forbidden relationship with a member of his KG - or ex member, to be precise ;)

My heart just did a somersault. How perfect!

I hope Sansa eventually sings that to him someday, since it was the one he really wanted, and you're right that it does seem significant to their story. Too bad the song is probably tainted now for Sansa, thanks to Ser Dontos. :ack:

I assume they sing the Mother's Hymn fairly frequently at the Quiet Isle. I wonder how Sandor feels every time he hears it. It's bound to take him back to that night with Sansa.

Archived