What' s in a name? Syrio Forel.... any others?

pourthedamhypocras

Spelled Sirio, it seems to mean a person from Syria.

now that's weird because Syria is spelled with a "y" both in English and in Greek, and a guy who is from Syria is written with a "y" too, ("Σύριος" -->Syrian -"υ" is the equivalent of "y"- while "Όσιρις"-->Osiris)

ETA: ok, so I just saw the definition you posted and it refers to the star :) I guess its the "information loss" that appears when translating names from one language to another... cause it's completely different when written in greek :D

This is so much Fun.... thanks everyone! Love Berc Dondarion as well. But how fitting to have an Aria (Ayra) in a "song of ice and fire :)

Varys= varies and you doubt his loyalty. I'm sure there is an app to rearrange the letters of a word and we'd get some good ones some folks just have a knack for it , keep them coming these are great!

Some parallels to Nordic mythology are in these names, too:

Hothr is a demigod or human hero who killed Baldr, the god of the sun. He's also connected to the mother-godess Nanna. Hodor, anyone?

Tyr/Tiw is a god of both war and justice who lost a hand. The Lannisters (Tyrion, Tywin andd Jaime all fit some aspects)

Frey® is a god of fertility. Quite fitting for Lord walder an his breech army.

Good job :thumbsup:

Mors was the ancient Roman personification of death, a crow (symbol of death) once took Mors Umber for dead and ate his eye (he responded by pulling an Ozzie on it)

Margaery's name comes from the Persian word for pearl

Jaime comes from the Hebrew word for "supplanter" as he supplanted Robert in fathering children on Cersei and derives from Jacob who was born grabbing Esau's heel like Jaime was born grabbing Cersei's heel

Willem Darry's name comes from William meaning "vehement protector", suits him as he looked after Dany and Viserys

Catelyn's name means "pure"

"Sansa" come from the Latin/FR/IT for "without" or "sans" or "san." She is the one Stark without her direwolf. Which explains the name of "Sandor" which I think means literally "without gold." Or "san;" without plus "d'or;" "gold."

Freys=Freya, norse god of fertility, that really explains their huge family.

Sandor is the hungarian version of Alexander.

its a shame, that Sandor isnt called Gregor, and vica versa, in this situation Gregor+Sansa=> Gregor Samsa, which could refer to The Metamorphosis from Franz Kafka, but in the current situation metamorphosis can still be connected to Ser Clegane :)

Because the name "Frey" looks like the word "grey." I associated the sound of the name to the color. So it sounds in my head like, "fray" or "to wear away" or "iritate." It seems fitting somehow.

"Greyjoy" reminds me of "schadenfreude" or "shadow joy." Which means the enjoyment of other's suffering or troubles.

I agree that "Cersi" is "Circe" most certainly. Her songs bring men to their deaths upon the rocks.

Schadenfreude means "damage joy". "Shadow joy" would be Schattenfreude. /nitpick off

and yeah, Cersei=Circe. But Circe wasn't a Siren (those were the singers on the rocks), but rather the woman/demigodess turning men into pigs.

As for "schadenfreude," it depends upon which dictionary you use. It may mean "harm" instead of "damage." I meant it in a poetic sense of the word rather than a more literal sense, such as "falls the shadow. . ." The same goes for "Circe."

As metaphor, it adds to the discussion as something to ponder rather than something to deconstruct.

Because the name "Frey" looks like the word "grey." I associated the sound of the name to the color. So it sounds in my head like, "fray" or "to wear away" or "iritate." It seems fitting somehow...

To me, Frey is like fries, such as to say, "Fries with that [pie]?"

It means both harm and damage, although the closer and way more usual translation would be damage. (harm would be "Leid")

And even in a poetic sense it's just awfully wrong, in both cases. Circe and the Sirens are absolutely different characters in the same epos.

So glad to encouter an expert in something.

As for my association with the word "schadenfreude" and the "Greyjoys," I think it fits very well. Nothing you have noted has convinced me otherwise. You have succeeded in convincing me that you are extremely literal.

As for the name "Circe," there are several references to her "songs" beyond Homer's The Odyssey. Homer's Circe is only one of many references to her.

Archived