Who would have the highest IQ?

Ser Erebus

Dany? How come?

1.Dracarys was a pretty smart move.

2.She doesn't want her army to rape and plunder, so she gets herself a troop of Unsullied-soldiers who will do exactly as she commands.

3.Her manipulations in taking Volantis were sweet to behold.

1.Dracarys was a pretty smart move.

2.She doesn't want her army to rape and plunder, so she gets herself a troop of Unsullied-soldiers who will do exactly as she commands.

3.Her manipulations in taking Volantis were sweet to behold.

Yeah no....you have to take into account everthing after that too.......those were good points but still not enought imho

Yeah no....you have to take into account everthing after that too.......those were good points but still not enought imho

She also speaks several languages and has pretty decent problem solving skills. Meereen being endlessly drawn out was more a symptom of ADwD rather than Dany.

She is at least as deserving as Tyrion is of being on this list-at least she knows not to threaten a king with castration.

Why so many people think Illyrio is smart?

Tyrion, though not unquestionable source thinks that without Varys IIlyrio wouldn't be able to scheme his way into kitchen.

He comes with that stupid Yollo name and make few real blunders talking how awesome young Griff is. I always though him muscle of the operation, not the brain.

I don't have a ranking list, but some names that I think should be on such a list.

Bloodraven

Tycho Nestoris (and all of the bankers of the Iron Bank of Braavos)

The Kindly Old Man

The Green Grace - seems like a clever one.

Lady Olenna

The Reader

Maester Aemon

Maester Luwin

The new High Septon

The Tattered Prince

Tyrion

Littlefinger

Varys

Osha - she's a diamond in the rough

Mance Rayder (but what he did in Winterfell seems almost too stupid, I think he had a plan different to what we are led to believe)

Prince Doran

Margaery Tyrell

Rhaegar

Jaqen

Roose Bolton

The Elder Brother on the Quite Isle

[ETA 2: The Whore of Volantis]

The promising kids:

Jojen

Bran

Sarella Sand

Asha

Alys Karstark

Jon

Arya

Sansa

Tristifer Botley

Myrcella, seems like she is getting there.

Dany, she seems sometimes genial, and sometimes meh.

And Sam, of course

[ETA: Missandei, see I did forget one, and she is probably the smartest of all these kids]

[ETA 2: Meera]

[ETA 3: Satin]

The unknowns:

Howland Reed

Willas Tyrell

My Joker to throw into this:

Wex - that little guy is very clever

There are problably some more I would add that I just forgot...

She also speaks several languages and has pretty decent problem solving skills. Meereen being endlessly drawn out was more a symptom of ADwD rather than Dany.

She is at least as deserving as Tyrion is of being on this list-at least she knows not to threaten a king with castration.

Just a minor point, but speaking multiple languages is mostly about effort, not intelligence. In much of the world, even illiterate folks can all speak 2+ languages - their regional dialect and national one.

Anyway, I don't think it's at all clear where to rank people. It's pretty hard for an author to write a character realistically and consistently as having different intelligence from themselves.

Just a minor point, but speaking multiple languages is mostly about effort, not intelligence. In much of the world, even illiterate folks can all speak 2+ languages - their regional dialect and national one.

I was mostly thinking about how quickly she becomes fluent in Dothraki-but yes you have a point.

1. Petyr Baelish

2. Jaime Lannister

3. Randyll Tarly

4. Varys

5. Tyrion

6. Qyburn

7. Maester Aemon

Runners-up: Brynden Tully and Jojen Reed.

I don't understand why so many people think Tywin Lannister belongs on this group. He is abnormal, not smart.

IQ is difficult to calculate in real life, imagine howit is to estimate characters IQ...

Well, IQ =/= Knowledge =/= Hability to read people. Of course the last plays part in showing how intelligent someone in the books is, but is not the same. Knowledge helps building someones intelligent, but intelligence is shown when someone uses what learns.

My top 5, (not including dead characters,dead before the timeline), without an order, would be: Tywin, Tyrion, LF, Master Aemon and... ROBB

Yes, Robb. I know he was an idiot by marring Jeyne, but he beat Tywin Lannister being only 16 years old. Tatics. What he lacked was experience. I believe he has a bigger IQ than Varys. IMO Varys is a bit overrated. He know too much of others. He knows how to manage information.

Honestly a lot of people who post here don't really even seem to understand the difference between experience/knowledge/maturity and things like natural aptitude and creativity.

I definitely agree with you that she belongs on the list, but I wouldn't expect many others to do so.

I don't understand why so many people think Tywin Lannister belongs on this group. He is abnormal, not smart.

You really hate Tywin, don't you? It seems like every comment I see by you is an attempt to deride his status.

Anyway, as IQ is an a measure of intellectual capability and not knowledge, the answer would have to be Littlefinger. He's without a doubt the smartest character in the series. The next two would probably be Tywin and Tyrion, in some order.

The idea that Dany or Robb belong on the list is ridiculous.

Lionel,

IQ is not about being schooled, it's about problem solving and sound reasoning.

According to me, some of it's practical implications are the ability to prioritize, to learn fast and apt decision making. ETA: And to handle information well is one other. Some are blind to what is going on around them, some see everything, and take a huge amount of information into their reasoning and decisionmaking. That takes some IQ.

It's definitely about creativity.

I think Rhaegar is an ok choice. Not for spot 2 but I think he belongs on the list. He is a well-read battle commander who happens to be an excellent musician. I think he might have at least some brains.

Music and math are closely related. That is known :)

You really hate Tywin, don't you? It seems like every comment I see by you is an attempt to deride his status.

I do despise lots of fictional characters, indeed. Tywin, Roose, Ramsay and Stannis are among them.

What that has to do with the matter, I fail to see. I assure you, I am no fan of Petyr Baelish, and he made #1 in my list.

When push comes to shove, there is simply not much in the way of evidence that Tywin is intelligent. Well educated, yes. Experienced and cunning, sure. Above all, he is determined.

But for all that, his track record is rather poor, and there is nothing that convinces me that his intelligence is more than slightly above average. Roose Bolton is probably smarter than him. I will grant that his posture does give an impression of intelligence, but posturing does not IQ make.

Archived