Would Dany step down if YG is proved to be who he says he is?

Christine K

If JonCon or someone can prove that YG is really Aegon, then he obviously has a better claim to the throne than Daenerys, right? IIRC, YG was concerned that Dany wouldn't want to marry him and that would ruin their plans. I'm guessing if he's married to her it would sort of legitimize him and that's why he or Jon or whoever it was was concerned about it. So if it is proved that he really is Aegon, do you think that Dany would admit that she no longer has the best claim to the Iron Throne and either marry Aegon or just let him be King (or at least try?)

Hell no.

Dany is too self-absorbed to step down for anyone, especially another Targaryan.

That's not an unfair statement, it's the truth.

Dany's whole persona is fabricated from her belief that she is the last one. If she discovers another dragon I feel like even if he is proven to be real she will not believe it out of spite and denial and that she will find a way to kill Aegon and steal team Blackfyre.

Dany has been hamming it up as a tragic heroin since ACOK. She sometimes seems as if she can't get enough of the drama. What if she gets to Westeros and finds out that Aegon has his men loyalty because of the battles he has lead. What if she finds out that as long as Aegon is alive she is in 2nd place? If the spotlight isn't on her and she isn't getting called mother of dragons every 5 seconds how will the little princess with the three dragons react?

Hell no.

Dany is too self-absorbed to step down for anyone, especially another Targaryan.

That's not an unfair statement, it's the truth.

Dany's whole persona is fabricate from her belief that she is the last one. If she discovers another dragon I feel like even if he is proven to be real she will not believe it out of spite and denial and that she will find a way to kill Aegon and steal team Blackfyre

You believe she would murder her own nephew for no reason other then power?

If JonCon or someone can prove that YG is really Aegon, then he obviously has a better claim to the throne than Daenerys, right? IIRC, YG was concerned that Dany wouldn't want to marry him and that would ruin their plans. I'm guessing if he's married to her it would sort of legitimize him and that's why he or Jon or whoever it was was concerned about it. So if it is proved that he really is Aegon, do you think that Dany would admit that she no longer has the best claim to the Iron Throne and either marry Aegon or just let him be King (or at least try?)

Thought about this a lot but no clue because I could easily see it going either way. On the one hand I get the impression that she doesn't really like being Queen and how she can't make personal choice, etc and that she is doing it because she feels enormous pressure as the last of a dynasty stretching back a few thousand years to reclaim the old glory. Her constant rememberances of the red door speak volumes to me. On the other hand she's gotten quite good at reacting poorly to challenges to her rule so I could easily see her claiming he's fake because she's expecting a fake Targ and getting pissy that he too is trying to usurp her. I've been waiting anxiously for the moment she meets either Jon or Aegon precisely because her entire motius operendi has been based on the fact that she's the rightful Targ heir and the only one left.

No. Dany was warned about him by Quaithe and will consider him a lie to slay. Faegon is going to become delicious Drogon food when the two reenact the Dance of Dragons.

As for Dany marrying Faegon, I don't think she's going to let herself be used as a pawn.

It isn't just power. Like someone said before me, Dany has been through too much for just another Targ to just 'pop up' and take the throne for himself. So yes its power, but also it's the last unicorn syndrome. What will she do when she finds out that Aegon was the number one choice to began with? What will Ser Barristan do? Will he see that since Aegon is the true heir will he leave Dany's side? I think he will.

Thought about this a lot but no clue because I could easily see it going either way. On the one hand I get the impression that she doesn't really like being Queen and how she can't make personal choice, etc and that she is doing it because she feels enormous pressure as the last of a dynasty stretching back a few thousand years to reclaim the old glory. Her constant rememberances of the red door speak volumes to me. On the other hand she's gotten quite good at reacting poorly to challenges to her rule so I could easily see her claiming he's fake because she's expecting a fake Targ and getting pissy that he too is trying to usurp her. I've been waiting anxiously for the moment she meets either Jon or Aegon precisely because her entire motius operendi has been based on the fact that she's the rightful Targ heir and the only one left.

Yeah I think she would just assume he's fake because she was warned about him, and also I think that although like someone said maybe at one point she would have stepped down and agreed that YG had the better claim, now she wouldn't step down for anything and thinks only she is meant to sit the Iron Throne. I do think maybe part of her just wants to go back to Pentos (that is the place with the red door, yes?) but she's been under the impression for far too long that she is meant to rule and go to Westeros and I don't think anyone would make her back down from that.

Dany is mad and so she won't believe Aegon is real, or she find an excuse like "your father wasn't ever king" or soemthing like that, and so she will become a kinslayer. She believe she is special maybe even a halfgod or something, her ego will be bigger than Balerion the black dread by the end of the series. She won't stop until she sits on the IT and kill all her enemies.

I don't see why she should. She may be arrogant but so is he imo.

First he feels entitled to have her as his bride.

"...She will be my bride, Lord Connington will see to it... "

Then he dismisses her.

"Daenerys is Prince Rhaegar's sister, but I am Rhaegar's son. I am the only dragon that you need."

I think their personalities will clash.

First of all the fact that Illyrio never told her about him is suspicious anyway even without the Undying prophecy. Tyrion will be the one to tell her about Aegon most likely which should make her even more suspicious.

Second the person who saved him is supposed to be Varys. Dany should already see him as an enemy because of what Barriston said.

Barriston should be suspicious as well because he wasn't sent to Aegon and most likely didn't know about him before.

I don't see why she should. She may be arrogant but so is he imo. First he feels entitled to have her as his bride. Then he dismisses her. I think their personalities will clash. Yes Dany and be entitled and arrogant but it seems he be can as well. First of all the fact that Illyrio never told her about him is suspicious anyway even without the Undying prophecy. Tyrion will be the one to tell her about Aegon most likely which should make her even more suspicious. Second the person who saved him is supposed to be Varys. Dany is already wary of him because of what Barriston said.

ALL Targaryans have the hiiiiigh sense of entitlement. They walked too proudly on the earth and look where that got them. A Dance of Dragons is approaching. Dany doesn't know Varys. Ned Stark and Tyrion were wary of Varys too and they still failed.

I think if she was really suspicious and Selmy was as well that he was a fake she might just decide to have him killed, if she can. IMO it seems like something she would do. Not saying she's a kinslayer or anything, but she doesn't seem afraid to have people ordered dead like the 163 she killed (which I suppose was arguably justifiable, but still.)

ALL Targaryans have the hiiiiigh sense of entitlement. They walked too proudly on the earth and look where that got them. A Dance of Dragons is approaching. Dany doesn't know Varys. Ned Stark and Tyrion were wary of Varys too and they still failed.

It's not just Targaryens. All the nobility in Westeros are like that including the Stark children. I think Lysa told Sansa that the Starks were always proud but she's a beggar now so she has to humble herself.

GRRM most likely won't have this Dance of Dragons end the same way the first one did with the female claimant losing. I think Aegon will be the loser here. Jon Connington also promised to kill Varys just imagine what he will do if Aegon turns out to be fake.

No, I definitely don't think she would. Of course, how is YG going to prove anything? That'll be the real clincher when she gets back to Westeros. Most likely she'll say he's a Blackfyre as an excuse.

I don't think she'll step down for Young Griff, no. The beauty of that is, she has the prophecy telling her that he's probably fake, but no one else in Westeros does. All they'll see is Rhaegar's son back from the dead, backed up by Connington. And if Dany goes around saying that he's a fraud because she saw a mummer's dragon in a Qartheen sideshow, most people will side-eye that and think she's either going nuts, or making stuff up to undermine her poor nephew.

That's also why I think that, ultimately, Aegon's veracity will be left up in the air — Dany will probably kill him, but she will never know for sure whether she killed a fraud claimant or her own nephew. And neither will we.

She saw fit to allow the slaughter of Viserys despite the fact that he did nothing that would earn him an execution. She could have sent him away, yet she stood there, watching him in agony, emotionless.

You really think Dany is above killing a family member? No way, she's all about herself.

Archived