Who is the main Arch-Villain of the Series?

BinkyBonks

IMO there is no "Arch-vilain" and that is part of what makes ASOIAF so compelling. GRRM has repeatedly said that he goes out of his way to make sure that his characters are never solely good or evil.

Arguably, no arch-villain who is remotely human is ever solely evil. (Comic book arch-villains are rarely recognizably human). Being solely evil is therefore not (imo) a criterion for the role of arch-villain.

That said, I would be surprised if there actually is an arch-villain in the piece.

Why hasn't anyone else said Bloodraven? He's been present since the first book, has a hidden agenda and is vastly more powerful then anyone else.

And to the people who say "there will be no arch villian", don't mistake GRRM saying he doesn't want an "evil overlord" character to mean there won't be an overarching villain. Being the arch villain doesn't have to mean that that character has been responsible for every bad thing that happened.

So far all of the character's stories have been splitting apart, but eventually they will pull back together and the thing that pulls them back together will be the final showdown with whatever the arch villain is up to.

I think Bloodraven is certainly a possibility. He is powerful, reviled by almost all who speak of him in the Dunk and Egg stories, and was imprisoned in the black cells (likely for political reasons but could his captors have known more?). He could be trying to hatch something through Bran.

Arguably, no arch-villain who is remotely human is ever solely evil. (Comic book arch-villains are rarely recognizably human). Being solely evil is therefore not (imo) a criterion for the role of arch-villain.

That said, I would be surprised if there actually is an arch-villain in the piece.

I agree, at least not in the traditional sense of a struggle between good and evil which has been the premise of fantasy pieces since the days of Tolkien

Cersei's not really important enough, nor IMO actually ruthless enough, to be the the principal villain of the series. Torturing people makes her feel sick. There's no evidence that people like LF, Stannis, Varys, Jaime etc. lose a moment's sleep over ordering torture.

Cersei is clearly ruthless enough to be the big human bad. Matter of fact, i've considered her that since GOT.

The fact that she doesn't have the stomach to physically carry out her evil deeds, make them no less evil, nor any less hers.

She's ordered the murder of children, pets, men and women. And none of them have been justified.

She is her father come again, only she's stupid.

I hope that iron throne she lusts for pops a thirty six inch metal boner just for her, so her desire for power can fuck her over, the way she's relentlessly, selfishly fucked over the realm.

My vote goes to Petyr Baelish. His meddling goes all the way back to before the Rebellion. (semicrackpot theory that LF told Brandon Lyanna was in King's Landing and we know the rest)

Cersei is just totally messed up. She isn't smart enough to shit at the moment. The only reason she got one up on Ned was because of Robert's cowardliness(and dim-wittiness concerning the children and Cersei's relationship with Jaime) and Ned showing her compassion concerning her children. Oh and Sansa told her what was going down oh and Littlefinger betrayed Ned to the Lannisters,

Other than that she's

Baelish is a dynamo

His Grace, Joffrey of the Houses Baratheon and Lannister, the First of his Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.

Killed his own bastard siblings, etc.

I thought that was just the show. I don't recall Tyrion ever coming to that conclusion in the books.

I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned Euron as the arch villain. IMO he has the best shot at it. Although all the characters are not all pure evil and it's a matter of perspective, I think it's hard to argue with the likes Gregor clegane and Euron up to now. Even if little finger and varys are playing a highstakes chess match, Euron seems to be the wildcard which no one has taken into account yet. He is mysterious, has knowledge about magic, and he is a wizard pirate with an eyepatch.

Most problems in Westeros from the start of the books to now can blamed on Jaime Lannister.

A little less sister loving means a lot less death.

Jaime seems more like a catalyst than an arch-villain. An arch-villain (as I understand the term, at least) is someone who is pulling the strings and causing things to happen, rather than someone whose poorly thought-out actions lead to things happening.

So, here are most expert string-pullers off the top of my head (I may be missing somone):

Littlefinger

Varys

Tywin Lannister

Euron Greyjoy

Doran Martell

Bloodraven

Melisandre

Possibly Roose Bolton (though it's hard to determine right now how much he is pulling strings and how much he is having his strings pulled). I think that Walder Frey, nasty as he is, is having his strings pulled, so he doesn't make my list.

So if we eliminate non-villainous characters from the list of string-pullers, we lose:

Doran Martell and possibly Bloodraven (not sure yet what his game is).

But here's the list I'd give of potential arch-villains, were an arch-villain to exist in the series:

Littlefinger

Varys

Tywin Lannister

Euron Greyjoy

Bloodraven

Melisandre

Archived