Why isn't Ned more famous/notorious for defeating Arthur Dayne?

Khal Pono

Probably because he didn't actually kill him :X and uses his textbook move of never speaking about it to avoid lying about it.

The Citadel should look into phenomenon that started at the end of Robert's Rebellion. The one in which many nobles disappear, are presumed dead, only to return again. By my count: Aegon, Jon Con, Ashara, Arthur Dayne, Gregor, Sandor, Tyrek, Benjen, Jon Snow (Grey Wind?).

The Citadel should look into phenomenon that started at the end of Robert's Rebellion. The one in which many nobles disappear, are presumed dead, only to return again. By my count: Aegon, Jon Con, Ashara, Arthur Dayne, Gregor, Sandor, Tyrek, Benjen, Jon Snow (Grey Wind?).

None of which have yet returned... (or have accurate reports as to their identities reached KL yet?)

Only Aegon and Jon Connington have even returned to the readers as yet.

so who, according to the latest theories, are Arthur Dayne and Tyrek in their disguises?

I don;t think there are any real theories - although I do remember one crackpot suggestion that Mance was Arthur Dayne.

I find it strange that more questions weren't asked about the KG and their whereabouts, simply because Jaime was able to kill Aerys.

Whatever way you look at it, this was a time of war, and the KG's prime duty is to guard the king. Not guard the kIng's second or third or fifth heir (Rhaegar was heir, and even if we assume Jon is his son, Jon still comes after Elia's children) but the king himself. So wouldn't it be normal for people, whether nobles or commoners, to ask "how come only one KG member was left in KL to guard the king?" Even if you haven't a clue about Lyanna and the ToJ, surely the absence of 6 KG members from KL and King Aerys, leaving only the youngest of them all on duty, should have prompted a few questions?

If those KG members weren't helping Rhaegar defeat the King's enemies at the Trident, then where were they? And why weren't they at KL? WHY would the LC of the KG leave the newest and youngest member alone on guard there, especially knowing he had been upset about Aerys's conduct on several occasions and was basically a 'hostage' to keep Tywin in line.

Seems to me that quite independently of Ned's story and what he says or doesn't say, there were a few very obvious questions that should have been asked by many people, whether or not they knew about the ToJ and Rhaegar / Lyanna.

Yet there is this convenient wall of silence around so many key events of that time - nothing said about the ToJ, the location of the KG members, and Jaime himself keeps silent about wht Aerys was going to do to KL.

I find it strange that more questions weren't asked about the KG and their whereabouts, simply because Jaime was able to kill Aerys.

Whatever way you look at it, this was a time of war, and the KG's prime duty is to guard the king. Not guard the kIng's second or third or fifth heir (Rhaegar was heir, and even if we assume Jon is his son, Jon still comes after Elia's children) but the king himself. So wouldn't it be normal for people, whether nobles or commoners, to ask "how come only one KG member was left in KL to guard the king?" Even if you haven't a clue about Lyanna and the ToJ, surely the absence of 6 KG members from KL and King Aerys, leaving only the youngest of them all on duty, should have prompted a few questions?

If those KG members weren't helping Rhaegar defeat the King's enemies at the Trident, then where were they? And why weren't they at KL? WHY would the LC of the KG leave the newest and youngest member alone on guard there, especially knowing he had been upset about Aerys's conduct on several occasions and was basically a 'hostage' to keep Tywin in line.

Seems to me that quite independently of Ned's story and what he says or doesn't say, there were a few very obvious questions that should have been asked by many people, whether or not they knew about the ToJ and Rhaegar / Lyanna.

Yet there is this convenient wall of silence around so many key events of that time - nothing said about the ToJ, the location of the KG members, and Jaime himself keeps silent about wht Aerys was going to do to KL.

:bang:

We know that the KG can have other duties than Guard the King, so long as the King is being guarded.

Clearly Jaime alone was sufficient to satisfy Aerys, Rhaegar and the KG themselves, allowing the other KG to be on other duties. Obviously they know and fully understand the requirements of their Oaths much better than we the readers do.

Aerys, Rhaegar and the KG were satsfied that everbody was doing their job, and they know, so clearly everybody was doing their job and no one needs to question where were the guys "not doing their job".

I'd just like to add that Aerys himself ordered Lewyn Martell to go to the Trident. And Barristan and another one were there also. It's interesting that Jaime was brought up because I would think that his killing of Aerys would also overshadow the fact that there were three KG in Dorne. At least, immediately after the war is over.

Archived