Is Jamie Lannister pretty much a dead man?

Qartheen Merchant

A character can't die until they fulfill their purpose and I don't see Jaime having completed everything that needs to be done. I doubt he'll survive the series but meeting his end here? No. I think he does need to meet Dany, to meet a Targaryan to get any kind of resolution to what made him "Kingslayer". Dying by UnCat/Brienne doesn't accomplish this.

Well, he has used that girl in Harrenhal... Remember ? xD

No he hasn't - go back and read that part again. He sent Pia away. :D

A character can't die until they fulfill their purpose and I don't see Jaime having completed everything that needs to be done

GRRM has spent a lot of time and many pages on Jaime himself, as well as the Jaime / Cersei and Jaime / Brienne storylines, and I don't think he would have done that if Jaime was going to be killed off by UnCat early in the next book. Actually, if anyone was going to die at UnCat's hands, I could see it being Brienne, but again there are some unfinished aspects to her story - like the Quiet Isle and the whole quest for Sansa - that would seem to require her to live.

This is impossible to predict as there are too many scenarios that GRRM may use.

Breinne still has a role to play in either finding Stannis or Sansa, and Jaime will surely meet Cercei once more.

Whatever happens, the Brotherwood Without Banners storyline ultimately seems to be heading for a Red Wedding Part II at Harrenhal.

Why is everyone so sure Jaime has to meet/kill Cersei? I understand there's the whole prophecy bit, but it seems too vague to be certain Jaime is the valoqonar (spelling? lol).

Honestly the scene where he burns Cersei's plea for help letter could be an ending to them. She pleads him for her life, and he says no. He has moved on. (or maybe his not responding IS what kills her, who knows)

I don't see Jaime surviving the series, but I don't think he's dead yet, nor do I think he'll die at the hands of UnCat. I believe Jaime will complete his redemption arc and do something heroic at the end, whether against the Others, to put the rightful person on the throne or in some way 'save' the kingdoms. Whatever he does I fear that it will be done without the knowledge of most people, so that he will forever be thought of as dishonorable, while his final act was of the highest honor and self-sacrifice. That would be bittersweet.

Why is everyone so sure Jaime has to meet/kill Cersei? I understand there's the whole prophecy bit, but it seems too vague to be certain Jaime is the valoqonar (spelling? lol).

Honestly the scene where he burns Cersei's plea for help letter could be an ending to them. She pleads him for her life, and he says no. He has moved on. (or maybe his not responding IS what kills her, who knows)

I don't think "everyone" is so sure at all - there are already many threads here where the whole issue of 'who is the valonquar?' has been discussed at great length. It is certainly not clear that it has to be Jaime.

Interesting idea that Jaime not responding to Cersei's letter is what kills her or causes her death, but I think if she has survived the walk of shame, she will live for a bit longer. Jaime may have emotionally almost ended their relationship - I say 'almost', because I don't think he has quite got over his addiction to her - but Cersei herself still holds onto what she thinks she had with Jaime. But as someone else said on another thread, Jaime has already filed for divorce, only the papers haven't been served on Cersei yet!

I think he does need to meet Dany, to meet a Targaryan to get any kind of resolution to what made him "Kingslayer".

I doubt Jaime and Daenerys will ever meet. I think the author is going for a scenario wherein all the enemies that Daenerys was expecting to gain revenge against for her family will be dead by the time she makes it to Westeros (i.e., Tywin Lannister, Jaime Lannister, Robert Baratheon, Ned Stark, Hoster Tully, Jon Arryn, Pycelle, Gregor Clegane, and Amory Lorch). Beyond that, the Lannisters don't even put in an appearance in the prophecies at the House of the Undying. It's all about Daenerys having to confront Aegon, Stannis, and that great stone beast. In other words, I think the Jaime and Cersei story is starting to circle the drain and they will both be gone by the time Daenerys makes her landing or soon thereafter.

We know Brienne came and lied to him about finding Sansa.

Catelyn is a crazed bitter zombie on a mission to kill all Lannisters.

So can we say that Jamie is pretty much a dead man?

There aren't that many outs for him...

I can't imagine what will happen when he meets Lady Stoneheart but if he dies abruptly then it will be a poor way to get rid of an interesting and coflicting character. Personally I believe that Jaime will survive and fight Littlefinger, in Bran's vision there was a knight in golden armor and a man looking like a dog fighting a giant.Perhaps the Hound will finally fight Ser Gregor but Jaime will fight Littlefinger, his family sigil is the giant of Braavos after all and he betrayed Ned, emotionally controlled Lysa, started the war between Lannisters and Starks, is partly responsible for Joff's death, the Kettleblack's are his men, killed Jon Arryn and ridiculed Tyrion. Not to mention that Sansa is his captive. Jaime has more than one reason to kill Petyr. On the other hand I want Jaime to die while defending Daenerys. Perhaps Daenerys is the younger and prettier queen mentioned in the prophecy. Anyway, Jaime's death has to be spectacular.

Isn't Gendry with UnCat? And her beef with him are her girls.

So when Jamie calls her Mylady Stark and is explaining that Sansa vanished the night of the wedding and that Arya has been missing since Ned's execution and that a fake one has been sent to Winterfell, it could very well be that Gendry overhearing that, stepping in and validating his story by saying Arya left KL with him. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think he also knows that she wanted to find her mother and was off to the twins. So I see UnCat pretty much losing it and thinking the Frey's got her too. Or at least she knows then, that Jamie told her the truth. Most likely sending them off again to find Sansa, or taking them with her to the twins. I could be wrong tho, but the set-up with Gendry, the only one there knowing that it was Arya, and UnCat/Jamie/Brienne let's me think it could lead to that.

Archived