Did ASOIAF change anything about you?

Mormont'sRaven

Whenever I see 'sir' written down I swear that it should be corrected to 'ser'.

Not as many movies or books sate my desire for epic tales of corruption and power.

After seeing Ygritte's actor and watching those scenes with her teasing Jon through their northern Sunday stroll I now have a thing for red heads.

I am tempted to use the phrase "or near enough that makes no matter" and to call things a "folly" ...

Also being engrossed in the story has made me constantly reflect on how easy life is in America when I am doing normal stuff.. we have plenty of food, cars, houses, showers, hospitals, warm clothes, no kneeling, no constant war between states, knowing much more about science, etc

Lord of the Rings did most of the changing years ago, but since reading ASoIaF I've become a shipper :blushing: Which is entirely too girly for a man-woman like me (think a cross between Arya and Asha Greyjoy, but with Jorah Mormont levels of hairiness :lol:).

I've never shipped hard before - I saw Ron and Hermione coming and wanted them to be together, but I don't think I would have been disappointed if it hadn't happened (only a little confused that the signs could have been so wrong). Similarly, I loved reading the interactions between Aragorn/Arwen, Aragorn/Eowyn and Faramir/Eowyn but I just wanted happiness for all the characters (awwww), not any particular pairings. I got very slightly shippy in Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn chronicles and Legendsong trilogy, but not really.

But with GRRM? Shippety-shippety-shippety! SanSan, Arya/Gendry, Jorah/Dany, Jon/Ygritte ( :crying:), Jaime/Brienne... which, hilariously, is all very unlike the spirit of ASoIaF and GRRM's stuff in general! Perhaps that's why?

"Near enough to make no matter", "Just so", and "seven hells" are all things I say pretty often. Watching the show has definitely changed the way I walk and carry myself. I think I've developed a very Barristan-esque, get out of my way I'm about the King's business, stride.

I no longer have birthdays - instead preferring a jolly old Name Day celebration

I also talk in the 3rd person a lot - "A man is off to work", "A man requires his dinner", "A man is tired of people asking why a man talks so wierdly"

I use the C word a lot more

I've asked google where Whores go an awful lot

I abandoned current time phases such as "Morning, Afternoon and Evening" as i prefer the Hour of the Wolf, Hour of the Hawk etc

I've taken the liberty of re-naming my guitars in the style that Joffrey would his sword - as such my new Rickenbacker is now called Mother-Stuffer

My smelly dog has now taken on the moniker, "Reek"

Yes, well, it has changed quite everything, the way I speak most of all. One sentence out of four is a quote. Most of my friends now know significant parts of the plot even if they've never read the books. You want an example? I explained the whole Azor Ahai prophecy and the most significant theories to a schoolmate during the P. E. class at school. Then a couple weeks later he noticed that a girl in our class had dued her hair red, and asked her if she'd been "reborn amidst smoke and salt", and I laughed for like ten minutes. So the answer is: yes, ASOIAF has changed something about me. Everything about me, and something about the people I live with.

I no longer have any [...] desire to interact with the outside world

So true. Or at least while reading the books :lol: No, seriously it's somehow always coming up...

Otherwise I use certain phrases a lot, see ASOIAF-related things everywhere and have the desire to read the books over and over again. Also, it has extended my view on fantasy.

Archived