What chapters did you never EVER read in ASOIAF?

Where Went Whent

I skipped the two Jon chapters before his last. I just didn't have patience for him to do nothing.

But if you didn't read them, how do you know he did nothing? Personally I liked those chapters.

I myself... only in a re-reads mind you, I read it all in original read... skipped Danys chapters in ADWD, I just don't like her character, I've read it once, and I get a sort re-cap with Baristan's character chapters, in fact I hate most of the stuff in Mereen, but I hate Dany more.

I read everything and frankly find it totally mind-boggling to skip chapters in any book. I'd like my reading experience to be complete, thank you.

There is however some stuff I find less than interesting, saddly:

- 90% of all dream sequences, except for Ned's. Ok, Starks inhabit wolves sometimes, I get it.

- Most of what happens in Essos (it improves with Barristan arrival, though). Courtly intrigue and battles just interest me more on a quasi-medieval setting than in the middle of some desert. Sorry.

- Some of Bran chapters (though I like the history parts).

There are also some chapters People seem to find boring, but I love:

- Cersei's chapters on AFFC. Like the tale of how she screws herself with her own arrogance and stupidity.

- Ironborn and Dornish guys. Love Arianne and the sand snakes, love the three mad Kraken brothers and so on.

Didn't read the latter Arya chapters in ASoS. Skipped over the Reek chapters after the first one on my original read.

You missed some beautiful writing there. :( The Reek chapters are one of the most interesting to read. But then again, I think at least 90% of the book is at least interesting, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

You missed some beautiful writing there. :( The Reek chapters are one of the most interesting to read. But then again, I think at least 90% of the book is at least interesting, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

I did read them, and yes once i got over how depressing Theon's situation is, they really were a great read.

But if you didn't read them, how do you know he did nothing? Personally I liked those chapters.

I myself... only in a re-reads mind you, I read it all in original read... skipped Danys chapters in ADWD, I just don't like her character, I've read it once, and I get a sort re-cap with Baristan's character chapters, in fact I hate most of the stuff in Mereen, but I hate Dany more.

I forgot to specify that I meant the two before his last in A Clash of Kings. I read his chapters until that part and he barelly did anything. I watched the second season of the show, and he didn't do much there either. But I ended up skipping Ygritte, a character that I really liked. When I reread this book, I will not skip these chapters.

This a million times over. The Reek chapters were some of the most well-written chapters in the entire series thus far, IMO.

I totally skipped 100% of the Greyjoy stuf. I'm still not sure how their story line impacts any of the others - the stuff about the egg is, I guess, important if you're theorizing, but that stuff could've all just been summarized into a few paragraphs.

I literally have no idea what happened to those guys, and it didn't impact my first read-through.

I also accidentally skipped the Sam/Citadel chapters because they were titled unclearly - I thought they were part of the Dornish plotline which I found to be completely unnecessary and empty of any significant plot.

Did I really miss out on anything? I just have so much trouble reading meaningless details that amount to nothing in the end/major plot developments.

You skipped all of the Ironborn chapters? You skipped Sam and the Citadel, and even the Dornish plot? You missed.. Wow. You missed a lot. Like, really A LOT. You missed the Reek-chapters, which are incredibly well-written. Asha's chapters are really nice to read as well, especially in her time with Stannis' army. I won't even start about the Sam/Citadel chapters, which are incredibly significant to the whole plot. Seriously, why the heck are you reading ASOIAF if you're skipping half of the books?

You skipped all of the Ironborn chapters? You skipped Sam and the Citadel, and even the Dornish plot? You missed.. Wow. You missed a lot. Like, really A LOT. You missed the Reek-chapters, which are incredibly well-written. Asha's chapters are really nice to read as well, especially in her time with Stannis' army. I won't even start about the Sam/Citadel chapters, which are incredibly significant to the whole plot. Seriously, why the heck are you reading ASOIAF if you're skipping half of the books?

I don't count Theon as a Greyjoy, so I read those. I'm reading it because I can and think it's interesting without the other stuff.

There are THOUSANDS of pages of text. THOUSANDS! Just read the extra couple of hundred. What is the point of skipping? I can see wanting to know what happens to your favorite character, so maybe jumping to their next chapter, THEN COMING BACK to the others. I personally didn't do even that because I felt GRRM put it in a certain order for a reason, and I like the mystery of "who will be the next chapter".

There are THOUSANDS of pages of text. THOUSANDS! Just read the extra couple of hundred. What is the point of skipping? I can see wanting to know what happens to your favorite character, so maybe jumping to their next chapter, THEN COMING BACK to the others. I personally didn't do even that because I felt GRRM put it in a certain order for a reason, and I like the mystery of "who will be the next chapter".

I agree with you, tho in aDwD everytime i saw the next was a Dany chapter i was like "awn no, this again?" lol

Archived