Which mysteries would you rather REMAIN unsolved?

georgiatargaryen

Don't need anything else mentioned with regards to Tywin being poisoned. Atm, it is perfectly placed as just something you can pick up on if you want to.

Also, never mention Syrio again, as there is a possibilty that he survived and that is all that is needed.

Other than those, I want pretty much everything to be expanded on, but not necessarily right-out explained. It isn't like I want something to not be explained, just that I can live without it. I certainly want to know more about Bloodraven and his motives, but some things like the Hooded Man and Balon's death are best left open to interpretation imo.

People honestly like the idea of the author stirrup up suspicion and interest and then shitting all over it?

I'd like us never to find out who Jon's mother is.

Never find out who AAR is and whether its fake or true.

Never to find out what happened to Benjen or Syrio.

Never see Tyrion again.

Never see Dany come to Westeros.

Never see Stannis or the Boltons again (wouldn't it be fun if the Battle of WF just... stayed as it is? HUH?

Never read the end of the series.

-_- I can honestly not believe people like emotional loose ends.

Don't need anything else mentioned with regards to Tywin being poisoned. Atm, it is perfectly placed as just something you can pick up on if you want to.

Oh, yeah, add this to my list. Excellent pick. There are lots of these subtleties that are best left as subtleties -- things that aren't really mysteries, because the reader probably hasn't noticed them and therefore hasn't wondered about them.

Quiathe's identity. Never once cared for her character. She seems so out of place as compared to other characters...She seems out of some bad Star Wars ripoff comic book.

Tysha. Her and Tyrion's story is over. If they somehow reunited I would laugh so hard at it.

Who is Jaqen. I'd prefer seeing him again and helping Arya, but that's it.

Benjen Stark's fate comes immediately to mind. At this point, after Bloodraven's big reveal as the three-eyed crow, even if Coldhands is Benjen, as widely speculated, it feels a tad bit anticlimactic to me. The only other dramatic option that I can think of is to force Jon to fight and burn his uncle as a wight during the retreat south after the Wall falls. Many might prefer Benjen to remain safely missing if that's the case.

I'd also like to see GRRM keep Aegriff and Tyrion's possible Targaryen lineages open to question. If not by fans, then by the Westerosi in-universe. While I support the Blackfyre theory and don't believe A+J=T, there's interesting political ramifications to Dany being unable to prove Aegriff isn't her nephew and Tyrion's name being cleared to a degree of kinslaying, IMO. Dany, given the mummer's dragon vision and perhaps Barristan's suspicions as the Pentos (Tattered Prince) subplot is resolved, could be convinced that Aegriff is a pretender without the nobles, especially those sworn to Aegriff, agreeing. Should Tyrion be successful in training Dany's dragons, the rumors of Aerys's lust for Joanna may take on more significance, even if Tyrion's only exploiting the dragons' animal instincts in ways anyone knowledgeable enough could do.

R+L=J I'd put in the column of theories confirmed beyond a shadow of doubt. However, I'd find it thematically satisfying if us readers and Jon never quite know what Rhaegar and Lyanna's intentions were in eloping as they do. After learning of R+L=J, Ned's behavior in regards to Jon is clarified, but Jon gains two parents who are long gone with no one left alive, not even Howland Reed, to really explain the reasons behind his conception. Love? Prophecy? Not to mention, the speculated marriage and what-ifs of Robert's Rebellion. It'd be rather tragically ironic, IMO, if Jon's left forever wondering about the life he would've had. Doubly so should he end up on the Iron Throne as I suspect.

As for all the AAR/PTWP stuff, I figure the gist--mankind's champion defeats the Others--is bound to prove true, as to write the story otherwise risks undermining the magical foundations of the series. However, with any luck, it'll be Star Wars's Chosen One prophecy come again, lol. That is, free will has a way of screwing up fate and, in the end, the predestined salvation of all is something of a group effort with many arguable contenders for AAR/PTWP, though a few (Jon, Dany, Bran?) are more plausible than the rest combined.

If any of the relgions are actually real, and then the religious wars about the one true God will appear. I'd like them for them to all be vague, with not much actual proof, much like our world and its religions. Yes, priests and preachers can appear, but actual deity figures I'd prefer not.

I was hoping that Benjen would be a POV in the Lands of Always Winter. But, him just being gone is very realistic. He had a dangerous job. So, I am okay with not knowing.

I don't want to know what Euron was up to for the "missing" years. I just want him and Vic to die.

I don't want to know why the ghost of High Hart loved Jenny so much. The sadness gets me.

I would like all the big mysteries solved, but some of the lesser mysteres should be left to speculation.

Tyrek Lannister. Please don't bring him back.

Tysha. Tyrion should spend the rest of his life wondering.

I would like to know if LF put the idea into Joffrey's head to behead Ned, but that, too, will probably be lost to the fog of history.

Archived