What gave YOU a chill when you read?

The Guy Who Sits

I got a chill when Sam and John swor the NW-oath: " "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

It´s just so awesome and I felt like something big happen when they sworned the oath

(P.s, srry for some bad spelling :) )

When I read the books, only one thing springs to mind... Jons NW brothers when they chase him and repeat the oath to him... but watching the show...

Both what I mentioned above, and my god, when Dany arrives at the gates to Quarth and the thirteen walk away, the way she shouted them... "Thirteen!" shivers down my spine and the hair on my arms and neck stood on end...

I agree on the Night Watch thing, I love that oath.

I got shivers when Courtnay Penrose said his "Bring on your storm, and remember if you will the name of this castle." That was freaking awesome.

Jaqen/Pate in the Citadel talking to Sam gave me a chill too, It makes me really, really excited about what game the FM are playing in Westeros.

"Never call him that!" Spittle sprayed from Theon's lips. "Ramsay Bolton, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you."

"He is welcome to try. Whatever name he goes by."

"King Stannis! By the gods, I serve King Stannis!" :commie: :bowdown:

"Mine is the strength of the sea, a strength that the Crow's Eye cannot hope to match. "

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milk glass, alive with light.

"No" said Ned with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends."

"Look to your sins, Lord Renly. For the night is dark and full of terrors."

"Because it won't last. Because they are the knights of summer and winter is coming."

"We Do Not Sow". We are Ironborn. We're not subjects, we're not slaves. We do not plow the fields or toil in the mines. We take what is ours."

First time poster here... long time lurker and mega-super-fan. I'm on my fifth re-read.

For me, the final line of GoT still gets me every time...

"The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

She narrowed her eyes. “What is our heart’s desire?”

“Vengeance.” His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. “Justice.” Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, “Fire and blood.“

Got all excited when I realised Prince Doran was a Dany-fanboy. Also, anything to do with the War of the Usurper. Especially "in my dreams, I kill him every night".

I got a chill when Sam and John swor the NW-oath: " "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

This! This! I've got chills only a few time while reading ASOIAF, and this is definitely the biggest one. Martin definitely knows how to write a good oath.

I like to add an example from the HBO show: when Luwin presents Robb with the news that his father is arrested and that he's summoned to KL to pledge loyalty to Joffrey, Robb immediately decides to march south.

If His Grace summons me to King's Landing, I'll go to King's Landing. But not alone. Call the banners.

Chill-effect is mostly due to two things:

1) in that moment yourealize that shit hit the fan - that "minor" conflict is soon going to become realm-wide war.

2) and it that realm-wide war, Robb will be pitied against likes of Tywin and Jaime Lannister, people with vastly greater experience and more fearsome reputation. In spite of that, Robb decides to do the right thing and march south, and I imagine it required not-so-small amount of courage.

long time lurker new time poster

“They killed Lord Eddard and Lady Catelyn and King Robb. He was our king! He was brave and good and the Freys murdered him. If Lord Stannis will avenge him, we should join Lord Stannis.”

and of course

“I know about the promise,” insisted the girl. “Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf’s Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!”

long time lurker new time poster

“They killed Lord Eddard and Lady Catelyn and King Robb. He was our king! He was brave and good and the Freys murdered him. If Lord Stannis will avenge him, we should join Lord Stannis.”

and of course

“I know about the promise,” insisted the girl. “Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf’s Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!”

Welcome to the forum, salihzzz! :)

Archived