Best female warrior?

dornishbastard

First post btw...

Welcome to the forum.

(Said this for the third time today BTW, is there a flood of newbies here again or is it just me meeting them all the time?)

Brienne. She was giving Jaime a hard time.

Arya is a ten-year-old child, BTW. I am not sure why you put her there on that list at all.

Brienne's probably the frontrunner for knightly combat because of her size and strength.

But it depends on the situation - under the right circumstances you could easily imagine her being defeated by Asha (e.g. on the swaying deck of a ship), Obara Sand (Hunger Games style drawn out combat under desert conditions) or Ygritte (same in arctic conditions). Heck, maybe even Arya if the type of combat is "Blindfold with cats in attendance".

The girl got some skills in Braavos...

Yes, but I still do not think she could contest any of the others in an open combat, which you seem to be asking. If the question were "best female liar" or "assassin", she would stand a great chance, though.

To be fair, she's 6'6, extremely muscular, and was in good health. Jaime was malnourished, his hands were bound, and he'd been chained to a wall in a dungeon for a year.

You are right. Still he was known as the best swordsman in Westeros.

no fighter is ever at 100%. there were a lot of excuses i could make for brienne when she fought him, too.

"No fighter is ever at 100%" is a poor excuse to use when you're judging someone's ability as a warrior and the only person they've fought was handcuffed and extremely weak from imprisonment.

Well, that's not entirely true. Brienne did wipe the floor with those dudes at the Whispers. But it's not fair to base her skill off her fight with Jaime.

Brienne. Jaime was malnourished and out of practise and most likely would have won otherwise. But he never puts her skill down in his head, which he does to everyone else. She has the build and reach. Hammered her way through that Melee, where everyone else hated her and were probably looking to put her down themselves, then fought Loras at the end. She fights three guys at once. at the whispers.

Before the hand loss, and leg cripple, I'd have put Jaime and Sandor at the top of fighters, now I'd say there's a case made for Brienne as the best fighter full stop, not just woman fighters.

I agree Jaime vs. Brienne wasn't a fair fight, but Jaime is (was) supposedly in a league of his own. I think that Brienne held her own against him is to be read as a mark of her skills. He is way older and more experienced than her. From that and her being the winner of the melee where she won the blue cloak, i'm going to go with Brienne.

Only if Lyanna is the knight of laughing tree, I assume? Otherwise, we only see her fighting Benjen in Brandon's chapter in ADWD.

Jousting and melee combat are two entirely different things. Loras may be Westeros' best jouster, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best warrior as well. Similarly, Lyanna's horsemanship skills isn't too much of an indicator of her skill in real combat.

Edit: OT, it's Brienne, hands down, followed by Asha.

Archived