[BOOK SPOILERS] What did your friends/family think of the premiere and their predictions?

teemo

My friends are non readers but older (a lot older than probably the target audience) and they like best the dialog and think the teleplays are gems. They have long attention spans and would rather have more talk especially when it's the 'wheels within wheels' kind!

My two friends both liked it, thought the episode flew by.

They were a bit confused about the Harrenhal situation, and their favorite part of the episode was the Tywin/Tyrion scene, which isn't surprising.

They also had no idea a huge battle happened at The Fist, had to explain that.

This was my "transition" season... because I was a non-reader for season 2, but since last year, have now read up to (and including) AFFC.... still waiting on paperback for ADWD.

I can say this: as a non-reader when I approached season 2, I found it tremendously disappointing... for me, it was because there wasn't ENOUGH talk. I couldn't follow the subtleties anymore without the extra book background and most of the violence seemed rampant and pointless (i.e. for effect more than for driving the plot forward). So, it was my disappointment with season 2 that started me reading... I wanted to know if GRRM's book 2 was better! (Fortunately, yes).

I was happy with this first episode. It wasn't mind-blowing, but it was appropriately full of dialogue and build-up. Now, that I've read the books, I have more patience with the pacing too.

During season 2, it frustrated me to no end that "nothing happened": i.e. sansa was still stuck with joffrey; arya was endlessly travelling; rob was endlessly fighting his war... etc.. etc... Whereas, in season 1, there was so much *transition*: from happy peaceful life in the north, to horror in the south, to death and war and destruction. Season 1 had a HUGE, clear arc. Whereas, by comparison, season 2 rambles along (with a ton of gore and beheadings to pass the time). In the book, that didn't bother me so much, because the building intrigue was clearer and kept me interested despite the slower development of each character's storyline. (And now that I've read AFFC - which was glacial by comparison - book 2 seems pretty fast paced).

So, I think now that I have the book background, my perspective is likely to be much more patient. I know big things are coming, but that things will trundle along for awhile till they do. I also know that my original expectation that things for the remaining Starks would resolve quickly (and expectation I had leaving season 1) was very very wrong. So, it's easier for me to relax into season 3, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived