Question about Season 1 poster (Ned Stark on the Iron Throne)

buratheon

Hello, everyone. I was just curious as to how people interpret this Ned Stark poster from the first season where he's sitting on the Iron Throne and looking down to his left:

gameofthrones_poster_vertical.jpg

A friend of mine said it reflects how after Ned saw Jaime kill Aerys II, Ned held the throne until Robert arrived. He said that incident should be juxtaposed with when Cersei told Ned that he was a fool for giving the throne to Robert.

I myself interpret the poster to mean simply that Ned was the best ruler Westeros never had.

Is there any "official" interpretation (that is, from GRR Martin?) And does anyone else have any interpretation for the poster? Thanks. I was just very curious about the significance of the poster or any meanings it might have.

I also don't think there is much to read into with this poster... However, I still think it is fun to do so. :)

I wonder what Ned was thinking while he held the throne, could he have actually refused Robert? I'm also starting to wonder about the implications of Ned briefly holding it once more while Robert was hunting. Will it have a lasting positive and/or negative impact on the realm?

I feel like he looks kind of sad and very contemplative here. Probably thinking about his sister.

i thought it was just intended to encapsulate what the show is about- badassness(the iron throne and a fucking big sword and sean bean) politics (the throne again) and the conflict between good and evil as GRRM would put it 'within the human heart' as ned looks as if he is deep in thought on something like that

Since we've seen not only Ned sit the IT, but most of the characters, whether it be posters, promo clips, whatever, I think its to empesise the "game" and that anyone can win. Being a S1 poster, before you-know-who loses his you-know-what, its implying that Ned could win. Or Tyrion, or Baelish, or Jon Snow (the other characters i can think of that ive seen in the throne).

the only time Ned sat on the throne( in either book or show) was to pronounce sentence on Gregor and summon Tywin to court.

At that time his leg was in a cast after being mugged, so I dont think the poster represents a specific point in time, rather just show the elements of the show in a memorable image

• 1 month later...

Archived