most interesting setting/location in asoiaf

space

maybe its a bit redundant as there are other threads out there, but instead of characters or POVs, what is the most interesting and/or important setting (the wall/beyond the wall, kings landing, slavers bay, free cities, riverlands, the north etc)

For me it has always been kings landing. Regardless of which POV we get over there I always look forward to coming back to the intriguing machiavellian spider web that is kings landing, I would also call this the "most important" setting in the story. Slavers bay is up there for me too.

On the reverse I'm not always the biggest fan of the woodland wandering that occurs throughout the riverlands

Plot-device importance aside, so speaking from the beauty of the locations alone:

I'm personally a huge fan of the Eyrie, because I love the sky and water and the general feeling of airiness it seems to have (even the cells are open to the sky!) Whenever I reread the descriptions of the keep through Cat and Sansa's eyes, I wish myself to a tower in the Eyrie, looking down over Alyssa's Tears and seeing the world and its troubles/intrigues so far below.

This is actually a mini-project I'm working on atm - a reread and cataloging of all of the cultures/kingdoms and their "scenery" - the Dothraki is almost finished! Speaking of which, Vaes Dolthrak would be a close second for me - the image of the two bronze horses creating an archway with their hooves while framing these distant purple mountains is so breathtaking.

Same just put the Eyrie in as 3 and Dorne as 4.

Not much of a fan of Kings Landing.

ya me neither but i loved Sansa's chapters and most were in KL but i guess i'm probably gonna change that now

Oldtown and the Citadel. Hasn't seen much action yet, but I think it's about to. Prior to the Conquest, Oldtown was the principal city of the Seven Kingdoms, so there's a lot of history there. The Starry Sept was the center of the faith of the Seven prior to the Sept of Baelor being built, that sort of thing.

I think it likely that "The Winds of Winter" are going to see a shift away from the Lannister/Stark/Baratheon narrative and give us more of the Tyrells, Martells, and maybe Hightowers, Tarleys, and Daynes before the narrative returns north in the final book. Not saying that it has to, just that I have a feeling that it's likely to.

Old Valyria. I wonder whether the cataclysmic event that occurred there is something magical, or a natural disaster that could happen in the real world as well. The fact that the waters over there bubble, and people sail there and never return make it really spooky and fascinating.

Braavos for me is without a doubt the most interesting locale for me. It was the only thing keeping me going in Arya's FM arc. Close second is Dorne and Valyria gets my vote for most intriguing.

Honorable mention to Highgarden, I like the roses :laugh:

I'm most curious about the Lands of Always Winter, as for the most important, I think that is a little cave north of the Wall.

Yes and yes!

For a second there, I thought you two were sharing a creepy perv-enthusiasm for the hot tub scene in the Cave of the Lords Kiss. :-D

Braavos for me. Powerful maritime Venice-like city just teeming with life and energy. Arya's chapters did its best to portray it as interesting, multi-layered and above all very lively setting. There's just so many of opportunities and chances going on in Braavos.

And GRRM seems to agree with this - he said he could write whole book about Arya's adventures in Braavos,

As for others - Dorne, North and Crownlads countryside (as in Brienne travelling chapters).

Archived