What Line Made You Decide You Love a Character

Arthur Dayne's Honor

For me it's Big Bucket Wull. Ever since "The King's Prize" in ADWD, he's my favorite character north of The Neck.

“A little snow?” Peasebury’s soft girlish mouth twisted in fury. “Your ill counsel forced this

march upon us, Wull. I am starting to suspect you have been Bolton’s creature all along. Is that

the way of it? Did he send you to us to whisper poison in the king’s ear?”

Big Bucket laughed in his face. “Lord Pea Pod. If you were a man, I would kill you for that,

but my sword is made of too fine a steel to besmirch with craven’s blood.”

And this:

Ser Corliss Penny gave the clan chief an incredulous look. “Do you want to die, Wull?”

That seemed to amuse the northman. “I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts

a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to

be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night.

What men want does not matter.

“Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for

the Ned’s little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their

cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last

winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when

my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on

my tongue.”

I hope he survives to the end of the series.

"Your brother Jon asked it of me. And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things." This simple statement made me a Tyrion fan for life. He has a lot of leeway for all the other things he's done since.

Also, at this point I had a little less respect for Robb. Bran behaved very well, though.

When Ned urges Robert to kill Lady himself in front of everyone I had to love him. Something like "Then do it yourself, Robert. At least have the courage to do it yourself."

Essentially calls his King a coward in front of his Queen and a bunch of Lannister shits because of what he believed in, and the King can't even respond back to his badassery.

When Ned urges Robert to kill Lady himself in front of everyone I had to love him. Something like "Then do it yourself, Robert. At least have the courage to do it yourself."

Essentially calls his King a coward in front of his Queen and a bunch of Lannister shits because of what he believed in, and the King can't even respond back to his badassery.

Yes, Ned's lines are - in a subtle way - extreme badassery, the same when Danaerys assassination is discussed: "Have the years so unmanned you that you tremble at the shadow of an unborn child?"

"I shall bring justice to Westeros. A thing Ser Axell understands as little as he does war. Claw Isle would gain me naught . . . and it was evil, just as you said. Celtigar must pay the traitor's price himself, in his own person. And when I come into my kingdom, he shall. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that." King Stannis turned from the table. "On your knees, Onion Knight."

"Your Grace?"

"For your onions and fish, I made you a knight once. For this, I am of a mind to raise you to lord."

This? Davos was lost. "I am content to be your knight, Your Grace. I would not know how to begin being lordly."

"Good. To be lordly is to be false. I have learned that lesson hard. Now, kneel. Your king commands."

Davos knelt, and Stannis drew his longsword. Lightbringer, Melisandre had named it; the red sword of heroes, drawn from the fires where the seven gods were consumed. The room seemed to grow brighter as the blade slid from its scabbard. The steel had a glow to it; now orange, now yellow, now red. The air shimmered around it, and no jewel had ever sparkled so brilliantly. But when Stannis touched it to Davos's shoulder, it felt no different than any other longsword. "Ser Davos of House Seaworth," the king said, "are you my true and honest liege man, now and forever?"

"I am, Your Grace."

"And do you swear to serve me loyally all your days, to give me honest counsel and swift obedience, to defend my rights and my realm against all foes in battles great and small, to protect my people and punish my enemies?"

"I do, Your Grace."

"Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King."

For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. "Your Grace, you cannot . . . I am no fit man to be a King's Hand."

"There is no man fitter." Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to his feet.

"I am lowborn," Davos reminded him. "An upjumped smuggler. Your lords will never obey me."

"Then we will make new lords."

How can you not like Stannis after this?

"A start?” said Ellaria Sand, incredulous. “Gods forbid. I would it were a finish. Tywin Lannister is dead. So are Robert Baratheon, Amory Lorch, and now Gregory Clegane, all those who had a hand in murdering Elia and her children. Even Joffrey, who was not yet born when Elia died. I saw the boy perish with mine own eyes, clawing at his throat as he tried to draw a breath. Who else is there to kill? Do Myrcella and Tommen need to die so the shades of Rhaenys and Aegon can be at rest? Where does it end?

:bowdown:

"There's my lord husband. And here's my sweet suckling babe." Darling Asha.

"Joffrey is truly a little shit." Jon Snow

"With your leave." Arya to Myrcella. Love it!

"Or maybe he'll give me your head." Sansa.

"He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon." Dany

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your armor, then it can never be used to hurt you." Tyrion

"I am the last hope of a dymnasty. The greatest dynasty this world have ever seen, on my shoulders, since i was 5 years old. And no one has ever given me what they gave to her in that tent, never, not a piece of it. How can i carry what i need to carry without it, hm? Who can rule without wealth or fare or love"

Who knows more of gods than I?

Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air… I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy …protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence .”

He laughed. “Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray.

The Crows Eye. Badass.

I love Edmure, but for me it wasn't a line by him, but about him:

His wife's brother was young, and more gallant than wise. He would try to hold every inch of his soil, to defend every man, woman and child who named him lord, and Tywin Lannister was shrewd enough to know that.

(Game, Eddard XI)

The first time I read that line I remember thinking "and this is bad... why?" Because me, I much prefer someone who has a good heart but might not be the world's best strategist, to someone who is a brilliant strategist but has no heart at all. (Yeah, I'm not the world's best strategist, either. :P)

"[W]hat is the live of one bastard boy against a kingdom?"

"Everthing," said Davos, softly.

I liked him before, his honesty was always great, and he later becomes even more awesome when he doesn't just talk for edric's benifit, but acts, but this is the word that made me love Davos.

Archived