ASOIAF homebrew project

youngsquire

So for the past few months (basically since finishing ASOIAF) I have been dumping all of my free time into this project: Creating a house beer for all of the major (and some minor) houses from the books. Historically, noble families in the UK had a brewery on premises to make daily drinking beers as well as ones for special occasions.

After reading the books and the rich description of all the food and booze I tried to imagine what each house's specialty beer would be like- if they had one. I have done 4 thus far: Mormont, Tyrell, Stark and Martell. I am planning on doing Lannister next, followed by Tully.

If anyone wants to read more about it, I have written about it on my lame blog.

http://mylamebeerblog.com/2013/10/27/house-mormont/

http://mylamebeerblog.com/2013/11/02/house-tyrell/

http://mylamebeerblog.com/2013/11/23/house-stark/

If anyone has suggestions for a House Tully beer I would really like to hear.

I want it to be a brown ale because there was mention of a brown ale served at a feast in Riverrun. I just am not quite sure what direction to take it in...

Cheers! Skål!

-Matt

Sooooo Awesome!!!

I've been looking to get into brewing lately as well.

Right off the bat though, I have to say of all the things I see on this site, this has to be one of the least nerdy of the pursuits.

On my first brewing venture I'm using a Mr. Beer kit that has everything you need it in, but I also want to give it a bit of a unique flavor; at which stage in the process should I add, say, an orange peel? (Big fan of Blue Moon which gets its flavor from Orange peels and Coriander)

Fantastic stuff here, I'll stay tuned! Also you didn't include a link for the Martell's

Thanks!

You generally add the orange peel in the last 5 minutes of the boil. You could use fresh, or you could use dried (homemade or from the homebrew shop). If you use fresh you should use organic because there could be fungicide on the peel, which could theoretically impede fermentation. The dried one gives a more bitter citrussy flavor and fresh is more for aroma as well as taste. I usually zest a few oranges when using it for homebrewing. Anywhere from 3-8 oranges should do the trick.

The House Martell one isn't bottled yet and won't be for a little while, I am using a sour Belgian yeast strain to finish fermentation and it could be a few weeks. Definitely used orange peel in that one.

• 5 months later...

Ohhh,,, I got a few updates since House Martell.

I updated the blog so A Song of Malt and Hops has a more formal feel.

House Lannister is in bottle, a sort of belgian tripel with the three most expensive spices in the world- Cardamom, vanilla, and saffron. Also it has some jaggery in it, an exotic sugar made from coconut trees.

I brewed House Arryn (but haven't posted anything about that because I am waiting on my stamps to label it.) That is made with a shrub called golden root, it grows in high altitudes and is quite spicy like ginger and cloudberries, a nordic berry that grows only in mountains as well. It is sort of a strong weizenbock about 9%.

I also brewed House Greyjoy, but that is still in the fermenter. Hopefully souring. It is made with 66% peated malt and 33% brown malt, black sea salt, sea weed.

I held a wee beer tasting after attending the Game of Thrones Exhibition, here in Oslo. That was really informative for me to get some feedback and I hadn't up until that point tasted all the beers side by side.

Next I am brewing House Tully, 6-7% 50% pale ale malt 50% homemade brown wheat malt. lots of elderflower, debating about adding maple syrup or wild rice.

After that I am doing House Baratheon, I am hoping to make something near 14% for that.

There are full recipes now on the older posts I made if you want to try your hand at making some strange brews :D

Hell yeah nice, sounds like the project is coming along very nicely :D

Aye I think the Martell brew sounds right up my alley, I'm a big fan of belgian style ales and lighter beer with citrus and lotsa non-hop taste, so I'll have to check out the recipes

Godspeed ser, I'll keep this bumped every once in awhile for a bit of buzz for ya

I can certainly ship to Germany. But shipping (or doing anything) from Norway costs an arm and a leg. So If you are willing to cover shipping charges, or barter something with me, I'd be more than willing to send you a bottle of House Lannister.

I can certainly ship to Germany. But shipping (or doing anything) from Norway costs an arm and a leg. So If you are willing to cover shipping charges, or barter something with me, I'd be more than willing to send you a bottle of House Lannister.

Well, I'd like two of them.

I definitely think we can work something out.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah! I just milled the malt for it today! Still haven't figured out the exact spicing or hops yet but the malt bill is worked out, and I have a really good idea of the general ingredients.

Oak smoked wheat malt, for 50% of the base, some maple syrup, wild rice, and for the spicing mostly elderflower, some lime tree flower as well, if it melds well with the elderflower. +German wheat beer yeast. So dark smoky, with undertones of maple syrup and walking through a forrest ca. 7-9%

Also just finished labelling the House Arryn and I will be blogging about it next week! Yeeeeeeeeeayyyyyyy!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived