Ned Starks battles in Dorne

CrannogXninja

From what I can research, there isn't much info about Ned's time in Dorne other than what happened at the Tower of Joy, and that isn't very clear either.

Wouldn't Dorne have been an incredibly hard place to invade? First, your a northerner, used to the cold temperatures and not as used to the climate that would be in Dorne, and secondly, Dorne hadn't been invaded yet. Their armies and defenses must have been strong. Am I missing something, or is Neds time in Dorne rather vague?

Ned Stark never invaded Dorne. There was an epic fight at the Tower of Joy(located close to the red mountains of Dorne), but it wasn't an invasion. Also Dorne became apart of the seven kingdoms almost 90years before the events of the Tower of Joy. But your right there is much debate and mystery about what happened at the Tower of Joy.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/The_Baratheon_Brothers

According to Martin

Ned's army did not accompany him to Dorne, no. There were no battles in Dorne during Robert's Rebellion, though doubtless there were minor skirmishes along the borders. But it's not entirely correct that the Martells stayed out of the war. Rhaegar had Dornish troops with him on the Trident, under the command of Prince Lewyn of the Kingsguard. However, the Dornishmen did not support him as strongly as they might have, in part because of anger at his treatment of Elia, in part because of Prince Doran's innate caution. Cersei's line reflects no more than a desire to wound, to say something nasty to get a rise out of Ned.

As mentioned by the posters above, there was no invasion. What's actually vague is how did they manage to feed and take care of little Jon until they reached Starfall. Just imagine The Ned and the mystical Howlad Reed changing diapers in the middle of the desert.

As mentioned by the posters above, there was no invasion. What's actually vague is how did they manage to feed and take care of little Jon until they reached Starfall. Just imagine The Ned and the mystical Howlad Reed changing diapers in the middle of the desert.

They found Ned holding Lyanna's dead body, so at least one more person other than Howland Reed was present, and given Lyanna's condition, it is certainly not a stretch to assume that there might have been a wetnurse.

ETA: Bolded for clarity.

Has there been a mention of wetnurse though? Jusk asking.

There hasn't been a specific mention of anyone except one Wylla who, for some reason, participates in the ruse of Jon's fake identity as her son, and who happens to be a wetnurse. How very convenient, isn't it?

There hasn't been a specific mention of anyone except one Wylla who, for some reason, participates in the ruse of Jon's fake identity as her son, and who happens to be a wetnurse. How very convenient, isn't it?

Certainly is intriguing. Do we know her whereabouts or is it up in the air?

Certainly is intriguing. Do we know her whereabouts or is it up in the air?

Young Ned Dayne speaks of her as a long-time servant of his family, so probably at Starfall?

The Daynes must have been involved somehow, anyway, because ToJ could hardly support itself in the middle of nowhere for months.

I am inclined to think that she played some role, as well, and that it is the main reason for her suicide - that together with the other issues she had, she felt responsible for her brother's death. I believe that she might have been the one who informed Ned of ToJ's location, perhaps per Lyanna's request (she seemed to be holding onto life as if she knew that Ned was coming), and the outcome crushed her.

There is also a variation of the ToJ scenario which I'm not exactly advocating but I don't think it implausible, either - that Jon had been sent to Starfall and the three KG stayed behind not to let anyone find out that Lyanna had given birth and not to draw attention by their presence. It changes nothing about R+L or Jon's legitimacy, it is just an interpretation of their vow which would have them protect the king by not being with him. In this scenario, no wetnurse is required at ToJ and neither is Ashara's involvement other than taking to the baby Jon, and it would be losing another child after her own that drove her over the edge.

I am inclined to think that she played some role, as well, and that it is the main reason for her suicide - that together with the other issues she had, she felt responsible for her brother's death. I believe that she might have been the one who informed Ned of ToJ's location, perhaps per Lyanna's request (she seemed to be holding onto life as if she knew that Ned was coming), and the outcome crushed her.

I agree. I also believe Ashara dayne tipped off Ned Stark about the location of his beloved sister, but still can't get complete grasp of why she did it?

Is it possible that Ashara Dayne killed herself because by telling Ned Stark the whereabouts of Lyanna Stark that it would mean the death of her brother, Sir Arthur Dayne? Because, Sir Arthur Dayne is a KingsGuard, he was bound by honor to follow Rhaegar's instructions to protect Lyanna Stark at all costs. Even at the cost of his own life.

I believe when word got back to Ashara Dayne that Ned Stark rescued his sister Lyanna, she knew her brother was dead. And because Ashara Dayne knows that she did the right thing for Ned Stark, it meant the destruction of her brother.

She must have been torn at the decision that was made, and she could not live with herself. So then that may be the reason why she killed herself.

Archived