Favorite Chapter

TyrionsFlagon

Jaime VI, AFfC: From Jaime getting verbally destroyed by Brynden to the Frey-bashing war council to Jaime's infamous threat to Edmure, this chapter is incredibly fast-paced and packed with heaps of amazing and (darkly) hilarious conversations.

Brienne IV, AFfC: I was tempted to put several other later Brienne's chapters here instead of this one, but decided not to. Here we have the hauntingly bleak and desolate descriptions of the Whispers and Clackjaw Point, a surprisingly sad death for Nimble Dick, and Brienne breaking down and crying after killing for the first time. Definitely a chapter of feels, and the one that made me love Brienne.

Jon II, ADwD: It was interesting seeing the conversation between Jon and Sam from Jon's perspective, and this is the first chapter in which we really see the 'lord commander' side of Jon over his old self. And of course, the fist-pumping and immensely satisfying ending of Jon executing Janos Slynt. A very rereadable chapter.

Davos III, ADwD: I know many people hail the Davos chapter after this, with Manderly's big reveal, as the best one, but I personally loved this one a tad more. From Davos' classic snipes at the Freys to his brilliant speech about vengeance, this chapter really solidified Davos as one of my favourite characters (as if he wasn't already).

A Ghost in Winterfell, ADwD: Honestly, I could have picked any Theon chapter from ADwD as my favorite, but this one gets the slight edge for the haunting and creepy writing style and descriptions of this chapter alone. From the random and violent murders to the mysterious and unexplained Hooded Man, this chapter is a masterpiece of atmosphere and eeriness.

Theon I, TWoW: There really isn't much else to say about this chapter that others before me haven't already. This is probably the closest we'll ever get to a Stannis PoV chapter. An infinite amount of brilliant and hilarious (unintentional or not) quotes from Stannis, and that alone made it a favourite of mine.

Tyrion's Purple Wedding POV, Davos and Manderly with the North speech, Tyrion's trial, Tyrion's chapters while aboard the Shy Maid. Daenerys' last chapter in aDwD is also one of my favorites, as is her chapter in Astapor when she commands the Unsullied to conquer the city.

Ugh, I keep finding even more chapters I love the more I think about it! I'll stop here then. But there are still many many chapters I have as favorites.

I'll second Tyrion's PW POV. All the singing, etc, the crowd reactions. So much packed into that chapter.

Archived