Could Varys be somewhat assisting Cersei?

JaegrM

The Highgarden coin imo was most likely planted by Rugen/Varys

After it's discovery Cersei thinks that the Tyrells may have had a hand in Joff's death.

Which we the readers know is true.

Could Vary's both be attempting to sow discord as well as help Cersei discover her son's true murderers?

Well, between sending Gendry away, and a couple other things he said (which admittedly could be BS) about the suffering children, I can also see him wanting to assist in avenging an "unjustly" murdered child.

After it's discovery Cersei thinks that the Tyrells may have had a hand in Joff's death.

Actually, she's convinced they helped Tyrion's escape, which we know is BS. And anyway, if you give someone rope to hang themselves (and that's precisely the role Cersei's paranoia played), you don't really help them.

The way I see it-

If Varys' clue leads cersei to the truly guilty party, a child murder is avenged and the distrust he wants is sowed anyway

If she can't accomplish this vengence, the disconent will still be there..

The mistrust still exists either way

I'm actually not sure whether it was Varys that planted the coin in Rugen's little "hole of treasures". I always thought it was just a liiiiitle bit suspicious that others had searched the cell inside out, but Qyburn just happened to scratch off some dirt from the bottom of that hole and whoopsie-daisie, there was an old HG gold coin there... And then there's the tale of Olenna's shopping habits, which again conveniently comes from Taena. I have my suspicions about those two - though it is also possible that Varys is pulling their strings too.

Hey JaegrM, cool photo.

Thank you. It tickled my funny bone, so I chose it.

Why does the sowing discontent between these families and seeing the murderers of a child answer for their crimes have to be mutually exclusive I guess is the point I'm getting at

Could Vary's both be attempting to sow discord as well as help Cersei discover her son's true murderers?

Of all the things that she has managed to accuse the Tyrells of, it's a wonder that she hasn't accused them of the thing that they are actually guilty of. But I suspect that if he wanted to lead Cersei to this conclusion, all he needed to do was tell her that this was so. She probably would have believed him in her paranoia anyhow (just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you).

Of all the things that she has managed to accuse the Tyrells of, it's a wonder that she hasn't accused them of the thing that they are actually guilty of. But I suspect that if he wanted to lead Cersei to this conclusion, all he needed to do was tell her that this was so. She probably would have believed him in her paranoia anyhow (just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you).

Varys is smart enough to know that he's likely considered an accomplice to Tyrion's escape, this could prudently be his only method of planting a seed for Cersei's thoughts that the Tyrell's were part of Joff's murder

Varys is smart enough to know that he's likely considered an accomplice to Tyrion's escape, this could prudently be his only method of planting a seed for Cersei's thoughts that the Tyrell's were part of Joff's murder

But Joff's murder was even prior to Tyrion's trial (obviously). He could have planted the seed then.

But Joff's murder was even prior to Tyrion's trial (obviously). He could have planted the seed then.

Possible....

However, I think emptying Rugen's dwelling save for the circumstantial coin linking it to the Tyrell's involvement implies otherwise

Archived