A Lannister hiding in Kings Landing?

Mummers Dragon

During Cersie's walk of shame down the streets of Kings Landing, she makes this particular mental observation:

"...The Queen began to see familiar faces. A bald man with bushy side whiskers frowned down from a window with her fathers frown; and for an instant, looked so much like Lord Tywin that she stumbled..."

Now she also goes on to notice a women that has the eyes of Melara Heatherspoon. She even says she "see's" Ned Stark, Sansa, a dog that could be her wolf. She see's Tyrion in the kids running around. Basically, this litany is meant to read as just a flight of fancy on Cercies part. Implying that as the humiliation of the event is weighing her down, she's just projecting familiars on the faces of the strangers in the crowds that are actually witnessing her shame.

I think this is just clever literary shenanigans to camoflauge a Lannister siting in the first instance.

ENTER STAGE RIGHT: Gerrion Lannister???

This is also the same part of the city where Tyreke Lannister went missing in ACOK after the trip to see Mycella off to Dorne. It might even be Tyreks father, although he supposedly died from the pox or something. I figure Gerrion since his fate has been left unknown. So I think Cersie may have gotten a glimpse of her long lost uncle laying low in Kings Landing for some reason. I have no idea what he may be up to, but if it is indeed him, i'm sure he had something to do with Tyreks abduction/saving..

I could be totally wrong in my interpretation of this passage. I think Cersie's recognition of a so so familiar face; and that of her father no less, was the trigger for seeing familiars in the other faces around. Its certainly written in such a way that you would just think its the stress and duress of the situation, but i think a careful rereading of those passages will bring others to my cause. If this has already been put out there, then i guess i'm not as original and imaginative as thought i was.

no I don't think so, I think it is indeed just a passage showing Cersei reflecting, I think most of us can relate to catching a glimpse of a stranger and momentarily thinking it is someone we used to know. a loved one passed away. Someone we don't want to bump into.

Besides I think Gerion is the father of Lanna the Golden haired daughter of The Sailors Wife, the Whore in Bravos.

I read it as showing Cersei's level of stress, she's also seeing Tyrion everywhere (and a lot others, as you mention).

Also note that he only looks like Tywin "for an instant": If he was the lost brother, surely he'd look more like him. Finally, and correct me if I'm wrong, but seeing as Tyrion has memories of Gerion, and Cersei is quite some (~10?) years older than him, she'd surely know Gerion if it was actually him - beyond a family resemblance to Lord Tywin, that is.

It still would have been several years since she last seen her uncle, so he might in his older years take on a closer resemblance to Tywin, and she's moving along amongst a throng of people, so an instant would be all she really had. It would'nt register as her uncle because her uncles save Kevan are dead. As for the grin, well i would think even a gregarious uncle would frown on that particular spectacle. I don't neccessarily disagree with the general take, but i still feel its plausible. A similar moment happens when Brienne thinks Gendry is Renly for an instant.

No. And it doesn't seem that quote would work regardless.

She notes her "father's frown" according to the quote.

Genna says "You smile like Gerion" to Jaime.

Seems a bit different to me.

I was just about to say the same thing. Getting was supposed to be a jovial man, nothing like the gruff, stern Tywin. I suppose Cersei could have made that mistake considering how long it has been since she would have seen her uncle, but I find it unlikely for him to show up like this unannounced. If he does appear again, I expect it will be in Tyrion's POV since he may have some wisdom to impart to his favorite nephew.

Archived