Tim Lebbon Wrote a new Aliens book thats...canon?

Darth Richard II

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Out-Shadows-Novel-1/dp/1781162689/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391555318&sr=8-1&keywords=tim+lebbon

I don't even....I mean....what?

(Also its kind of funny that the offical movie novelization list in the front of the book only lists the first three. Who decideds what the hell is canon in this anyway? )

The "blurb" is also hilarious, in that it tells us absolutely nothing about the story beyond what feels like someone's bullet point list of "Words What Excite Alien Fans". So I've got that Ripley's in the book, and that she's fighting more aliens because somethingsomething what else would she be doing?, but outside of that the cover copy might as well be a picture of somebody on their knees sobbing out "oh please God please let them buy this there's Ripley and aliens and that's what they like right? oh please please we love money so much!" The copy for the next one -- and yes, there's a next one -- is even more unbelievable, a potted history of the franchise and how much ass it kicked on film back in the day that is basically trademark soup. It is sad that something so cool has reached this stage.

Also, at what point does Ripley -- who is awesome -- fighting aliens -- who are awesome also -- lose, you know, some degree of impact? And also at what point does the alien's predatory intelligence learn? Scene:

QUEEN [hissing, chittering]: I shall nest here, that we might infest this spacestation. There are fleshbags aplenty to incubate my progeny. It'll be a face-huggin' good time!

FACEHUGGER: Um, Mommy? That Ripley lady's here.

QUEEN: Fuck. Let's pack up our shit.

I don't think there's really anyone credible who could be said to be in charge of Alien canon, so that's a meaningless statement.

Also, the book features Ripley waking up after the events of Alien when the Narcissus gets picked up and has another adventure with the aliens before, er, Aliens? Bull and shit. Either 1) Ripley will 'promise not to mention anything about this', which is why she doesn't in Aliens, or 2) amnesia. Bollocks in both cases.

Also, and this almost goes without saying and is implicit in the bullshit Werthead has called already, not only can Ripley not mention anything later, but nothing of consequence whatsoever can occur in terms of character arc. Prequels are often sacks of shite, but might "midquels"* be worse?

* I must wash my hands now.

Wrong forum, but I'm seeing some cautious optimism surrounding the stealth survival game Alien: Isolation, even after the Alien universe has been subjected to the reportedly horrific * Aliens: Colonial Marines, which was made by a completely different team but has still understandably left gamers somewhat twitchy. So the universe's new content isn't a complete wash quite yet. But yes, these midquels? No. No. No thank you.

* I can't personally speak to it, because I watched a friend play for 10 minutes and decided life was too short.

Ah yes, Colonial Marines was also marketed as "canon".

I sorta remember readin the older tie ins back in high school, when they tied in with Dark Horse's graphic novels. There were Ripley clones all over the place, because, um,

I dont know.

I kind of want to read this to see how terrible it is.

Also, and this almost goes without saying and is implicit in the bullshit Werthead has called already, not only can Ripley not mention anything later, but nothing of consequence whatsoever can occur in terms of character arc. Prequels are often sacks of shite, but might "midquels"* be worse?

* I must wash my hands now.

Wrong forum, but I'm seeing some cautious optimism surrounding the stealth survival game Alien: Isolation, even after the Alien universe has been subjected to the reportedly horrific * Aliens: Colonial Marines, which was made by a completely different team but has still understandably left gamers somewhat twitchy. So the universe's new content isn't a complete wash quite yet. But yes, these midquels? No. No. No thank you.

* I can't personally speak to it, because I watched a friend play for 10 minutes and decided life was too short.

Alien Isolation is looking good so far, but I'm apprehensive as to how long they keep up the whole sneak around and avoid getting killed game play for a ten-plus hour video game. Seems to me that would get pretty tiring after a while, but who knows right now. As to this book, I was an absolute Alien junkie when I was young, but now I have gotten sick of anything to do with Ripley and her clones that pop up. I want to like this book. I really do.

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Out-Shadows-Novel-1/dp/1781162689/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391555318&sr=8-1&keywords=tim+lebbon

I don't even....I mean....what?

(Also its kind of funny that the offical movie novelization list in the front of the book only lists the first three. Who decideds what the hell is canon in this anyway? )

As far as I'm concerned, H.R. Giger and perhaps Ridley Scott should be able to decide what is canon. If my understanding is correct, the "xenomorph" was never intended to be a hive mind organism, but something completely different. So I guess anything after the first film may not be considered canon, but that is up to the viewer, I think.

At a pinch, David Giler and Walter Hill may be able to determine what is canon because they worked on all seven of the films as producers and developed the stories, though the scripts were all written by other people. Their input also varies from film to film, being fairly hands-off with Aliens and Prometheus but very much hands-on with Alien 3 and having an uncredited writing role on Alien.

Then again, Prometheus seemed to (arguably) de-canonise AVP1 and 2 and they seemed fine with that, so who knows?

Archived