A Dragon Dawn: A Complete Analysis of the Upcoming Battle of Fire

BryndenBFish

Cheers again! The last part of ADWD really confused me and I couldn't make head or tell of what was going on with all the characters in Mereen. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Completely understand the confusion at the end of ADWD. Getting into the weeds (and understanding them) of ADWD really helps in its enjoyment, and it really makes the setup for TWOW that much sweeter.

• 3 weeks later...

All,

I'm working on the next essay, and I had a very minor question that one of you all might be able to answer. In the sample chapter of Barristan II that GRRM read at Boskone in February 2013, there's a peculiar reference.

But Barristan sees that they will be blind because of the dawn rising over the city. (Fan Summary of TWOW, Barristan II)

However, we know that Barristan is marching south out of the western gate by the market district in Meereen (very close to the waters of Slaver's Bay). If Barristan is riding south out of the gate, wouldn't the sun be to his left and to the right of the Yunkai'i? How would that blind the Yunkai'i. It seems that if they turned towards the direction of Barristan's attack, the sun would be at the backs of the Yunkai'i.

I know it's a very minor question, but it's something I'm trying to puzzle out for the essay. Thanks!

I question that, sir. There is no reason to believe it.

The Tattered Prince knows no loyalty, he is only interested in Pentos (and, presumably, revenge on the magisters).

And the Golden Company is not anti-Dany as of yet.

Unless you postulate that Varys is a Blackfyre supporter and works against Dany (the Greens), of course.

Then I'd agree.

• 1 month later...

Wow.

Don't have time at the moment to do more then a skim, but man, love the details! Great work!

Thanks! I have one more follow-up essay to write -- detailing where I think Dany's arc is going to go in the early to middle parts of TWOW, but this was one of the most satisfying essays I've written (as well as one of the hardest).

I love the initial negative reaction to this. "What's the point? You're just retelling the story in your own words." What, you mean like every history book ever written? "Why do you read books about history, just go and find all the primary sources yourself!" Yeah, there's nothing wrong with organizing scattered information into a single source.

I read your essays on the Siege of Winterfell. Great job putting all the information together. There are details there which I had overlooked and missed entirely.

I've read all about the Battle of Fire you uploaded and now i would like to pose a question to you. Is it possible for the Battle to be split up in two parts? I mean that can be possible for GRRM to write the first part of the Battle with the Yunkish forces and then a second part with the arrival of the Volanteen Fleet? Do you also believe that Daenerys won't return in time for the Battle as you wrote in the last part?

Wasn't the city of Mantarys also at war against Dany? Also, where is Strong Belwas in all of this? Still sick? How did the Iron fleet manage to barricade the river? And finally will Volantis send it's army against Dany marching through the demon road?

I've read all about the Battle of Fire you uploaded and now i would like to pose a question to you. Is it possible for the Battle to be split up in two parts? I mean that can be possible for GRRM to write the first part of the Battle with the Yunkish forces and then a second part with the arrival of the Volanteen Fleet? Do you also believe that Daenerys won't return in time for the Battle as you wrote in the last part?

I think that's a possibility, but considering that Victarion thinks that the Volantene Fleet is not that far behind him while in the Gulf of Cedars, and Barristan initially thinks that Victarion's Fleet is the Volantene Fleet, I think the arrival of the Volantenes will occur at the end of the battle -- I have it as the last timeline part of the battle, because I don't think there's any other major military power coming to Meereen besides the Volantenes.

I don't think that Dany will come back to Meereen in time for the battle. I'll have another essay here in a month or so on where I think Martin will take Dany's arc, but I think she's headed to Vaes Dothrak prior to coming back to Meereen.

Wasn't the city of Mantarys also at war against Dany? Also, where is Strong Belwas in all of this? Still sick? How did the Iron fleet manage to barricade the river? And finally will Volantis send it's army against Dany marching through the demon road?

1. Yes, Mantarys sends back the Dany's envoys' heads in ADWD. I can't recall if they have any soldiers in the Yunkish camp.

2. Likely still out of action, at the Great Pyramid though.

3. The Iron Fleet sets fire to a ship and then runs it aground at the mouth of the Skahazadhan River, thus blocking access to/from Slaver's Bay.

4. I don't think they'll come up the demon road. I think the 300-500 ships that Victarion sees in Volantis will transport the army to Meereen's shores -- though I think the slaves will turn against the Volantene Fleet before the Volantene Army will have a chance to cross swords with any pro-Dany soldiers.

Archived