Valyrian families in Westeros

Ser Arthyr Dracenstein

Whilst the Targaryens were the only Valyrian dragon family to migrate to Westeros, I don't think they were the only Valyrian family to migrate.

I think it's the Celtigars who were mentioned as being a Valyrian family, but were/are there others?

The Daynes are mentioned as having Targaryen features but I'm not sure they are themselves are of Valyrian descent.

Any more?

Targaryens, Velaryons, Celtigars.

House Baratheon can also be considered Valyrian since Ory Baratheon was rumored to be Aegon's half brother and thus probably a Valyrian (they don't have any Valyrian features anymore though).

House Qoherys was Valyrian, but they're extinct.

Celtigar and Velaryon are houses that exist up to today. There has also been house Coherys, also a valyrian house but it went extinct after it fell to the curse of Harrenhall.

Asside from that, there might also be quite some targaryan blood on driftmark (seat of the Velaryons) , claw island (seat of the Celtigars) and afcourse Dragonstone, as the targaryans made many bastard children on those islands in the early days as i have read.

Aurane Waters, the bastard of Driftmark, is described by Cersei to very much look like she would think Aegon the conquerer having looked like. Certainly the Velaryons and Targaryans have married into eachothers family at different times, or made bastards with eachother which are a bit harder to trace down. Afaik there is a bastard at the red keep which has a Quite a bit more than a drop of targaryan blood in his veins. People often hypothesize on who will be the three dragon riders, names like Tyrion, Jon and Stannis often come to the foreground, with good reasons i suppose. I'm not sure for myself though to what extend i should consider that one of those dragonriders could be a bastard from one of the islands of Dragonstone. having read the story on the Dance of the dragons, its certaintly wouldn't be the first time that a bastard Velaryon for ex. managed to ride a dragon. A man like Aurane waters, though i might wonder if he has any targaryan blood (conceivable he has a bit atleast) i could just as well otherwise consider as an almost pure blooded Valyrian, for he might have descended from a combination of bastards and lords who all nevertheless had Valyrian blood. Makes him atleast more eligable to ride a dragon i guess than say youre average reachman.

Where is it stated that house Celtigar has valyrian descendency?

Dunno. The wiki is notoriously unreliable. This SSM states that a member of house Celtigar was Master of Coin to Aegon I. House Massey is a contender as well as the same SSM sates that Tristan Massey was Mster of Laws to Aegon I.

Where is it stated that house Celtigar has valyrian descendency?

In A Clash of Kings, a Davos chapter had him thinking of the fleet's commanders and prominent ship captains and mentions a Celtigar of Old Valyrian blood, unless I'm mis-remembering. He was later mentioned being killed in the battle, but I think that was in A Storm of Swords.

Velaryon, Celtigar and maybe House Sunglass as well.

Im not sure. house sunglass is represented as a valyrian family in a great modification for a game called Crusader kings which can at points help as a reference for certain things as its really well made, it really helped me for one when reading about the dance of the dragons for seeing family relations and understanding who's who. But i can't find any canon reference to the fact that house Sunglass would be of Valyrian descent.

There is the thought of Sweetport sound, their seat, being possibly located on dragonstone, and therefore them being a very low level vassal under the lord of Dragonstone, but even of that i'm not sure of.

From another perspective, it is perceived that there is more than one castle on drgonstone just as it is so with many other islands, the velaryons for ex have bannermen under them too iirc, or i think driftmark has more than one castle and those lords on driftmark are bannermen to the Velaryons, and the Velaryons to the lord of Dragonstone which was typicly preserved for targaryan heirs iirc. Basicly, the idea would be that there are more houses with valyrian blood on those islands, they just don't got much of a name because they don't have the power of Say Velaryons and Celtifars, who themselfs are not so powerfull lords themselfs of a fairly low tier though Driftmark is not a poor island. It is certainly hinted that there is quite a bit of valyrian blood running trough the veins of the average inhabitant of these islands.

Archived