Invasion of Westeros by any of the Free Cities

Arthur Lannister

Because they are predominantly founded by Westerosi

Is that true? I know the Golden Company was founded by Bittersteel and the Maiden's Men screams "Westerosi" to me. But the others? The Windblown were founded by a Pentosi and I couldn't find information about the other companies. The closest candidate would seem to be the Second Sons but that looks a bit uncertain to me.

Modelled after Westerosi military doctrine

Could entirely be the case. As professional soldiers they would take the best of what they could get and work with it from here.

Reinforced by well-trained Westerosi exiles.

But the question is if this is a bonus for them or something that need to work? They would already have the know-how and skills within the company and so could train new recruits to fight in Westerosi style even should the they not get more Westerosi exiles.

As far as we know the GC did participate in the War of the Ninepenny Kings under Maelys and they were defeated. In other words mercenaries trained in Westerosi style warfare hasn't seemed to make a difference for Essosi adventurers in Westeros. Its taken a technological edge like the First Men had over the Children and the Giants, or steel like the Andals, Dragons for the Targs and/or a dynamic leader like Nymeria, Aegon,.etc.

Is that true? I know the Golden Company was founded by Bittersteel and the Maiden's Men screams "Westerosi" to me. But the others? The Windblown were founded by a Pentosi and I couldn't find information about the other companies. The closest candidate would seem to be the Second Sons but that looks a bit uncertain to me.

The Windblown are rather young, and were founded by five sellswords. The Tattered Prince is the only remaining one though. The Second Sons were founded by Westerosi as well. Furthermore, we have the companies founded by the Wandering Wolf or the Red Viper.

The Ragged Standard and a bunch of other companies as well.

Could entirely be the case. As professional soldiers they would take the best of what they could get and work with it from here.

But the question is if this is a bonus for them or something that need to work? They would already have the know-how and skills within the company and so could train new recruits to fight in Westerosi style even should the they not get more Westerosi exiles.

That depends on the size of the company and the time span they need to cover. With the old, experienced guys dieing off or otherwise leaving the company, the overall quality is lowered. You need either a society to produce appropriate replacements, or a company so big that each spot could be filled ten times over. I'm not sure that the Golden Company is big enough for that. The smaller companies definitely aren't. Which put the strain on the Westerosi society and the knights trained for 15 years and gathering experience afterwards.

• 9 months later...

Archived