Brandon's Entourage

joluoto2

So we learn Brandon Stark rode to KL together with a group ha happened to be with at the time. This entourage consisted of his squire Ethan Glover (relation with the rest of the Glovers not entirely clear). There were also Kyle Royce (relation to the two Royce branches unknown), Elbert Arryn (Jon Arryn's nephew and heir) and finally Jeffory Mallister (possibly Lord Mallister's brother). We see here that Brandon only is accompanied by one Northerner. Furthermore there is two Valesmen and one Riverlander with him. I think this ties into the Southron ambitions. Rickard was building his political block, and Brandon was working on tying the Riverlands and the Vale even closer to the North (considering the heir to the Vale was with him).

I always found it interesting that an Arryn, Royce and Mallister rode with him to King's Landing on that (terrible) day.

I have only read scattered points about the 'Southron Ambitions' theory but this is a good hint if you interpret it that way. I also found it interesting that Glover wasn't executed along with the others given Aerys' mad descent and "IDGAF" attitude - though, of course, he later died anyway at the Tower of Joy.

Definitely Southron ambitions going on here. Jon Arryn's heir hangs out with Brandon. The middle Stark boy is Jon's ward. The Royce's and the Starks seem to have a close relationship throughout the series. I wonder if that will come into play with Sansa and Bronze Yohn....

It should be mentioned more that Aerys had Jon Arryn's heir killed. Besides asking for the heads of Arryn's wards, the King also killed his heir. Arryn obviously had no choice but choose vengeance.

Like King Jaime Lannister points out, it's also more proof of the deep ties between House Stark and House Royce, and also their friendships with the Arryns and the Mallisters.

Both House Royce and House Mallister look set to be important players in the final two books. They've both been talked up and set up since AGOT as being powerful, honourable houses and both Yohn Royce and Jason Mallister remained loyal to their Northern allies in their own ways - and both are in positions at the moment (Royce being the leader of the Lords Declarat and Mallister being the only Riverlands lord with his forces and family intact but trapped) to do something big when given the chance in the next two books.

There may be a hint of a Stark-Mallister link in Sansa's closet in the Eyrie, when she changes out of the Tully-colored dress before meeting the Lords Declarant -

...and another of dark blue velvet slashed with silver that would have woken all the color in her eyes, ...

Blue and silver, Mallister colors, would naturally suit Sansa. This could (symbolically) indicate a Mallister in her past or in her future. If in the past, incould indicate that Rickard's hitherto unidentified wife was a Mallister.

Archived