Should Osha have been a PoV character?

Ser Eric

Yay or nay?

Personally, I would have preferred reading about Osha and Rickon than for instance spending few too many chapters on Brienne going on a quest that we as the readers was going to be fruitless. Also we would have had a wildling PoV and we have only had one of those before.

• 3 months later...

Never been a huge Osha fan, but it does seem odd to just never see her again. I've never understood the purpose of Rickon's character; after being around for a couple of scenes he just leaves the series. So while I wouldn't necessarily love the chapters, it would make sense to have them be a part of the series.

I think it would have been interesting to have a recurring POV from Osha on the basis of A) Rickon B) Wildling observations of the North C) A POV perspective from one of the smallfolk. It would have been particularly interesting to see her observing smallfolk of the North reaction to news reaching the north of the Red Wedding, etc - not too many chapters, but just enough to keep things interesting.

One of the reasons I always like Arya's chapters so much (quite apart from the fact she's a wonderfully constructed character) because for all intents and purposes she spends much of ACOK and ASOS essentially as one of the smallfolk - you get some really interesting insights into how both the highborn and the smallfolk behave during time of war - think of the road to Harrenhal, the way the servants at Harrenhal treat the less fortunate (especially after Bolton/ Glover take over).

I definitely would have liked an Osha POV. However, there may have been nothing in her POV that would have been important to the story.

That's absolutely true. GRRM would have to contrive some way for her and Rickon to become relevant again, and that's a recipe for disaster. It would be nice if someone came across them; perhaps we have a prologue chapter of someone who is traveling, and they briefly mention how they came across a wildling and a small boy with a direwolf. I could live with that.

I definitely would have liked an Osha POV. However, there may have been nothing in her POV that would have been important to the story.

Same goes for Brienne and Quentyn. As with Rickon, both their stories may or may not be important in the future. But unless Nimble Dick Crabb was really Aegon Targaryen in disguise, both Brienne's and Quentyn's stories could have been related from the outside. Arguably, the access to their thoughts makes thematic sense for the Jamie-Brienne and Arianne-Quentyn contrasts. But surely an Osha POV offers its own opportunities, themes to explore and issue to touch on. I guess GRRM found the other stuff more interesting/fun to write or more relevant to the overall series.

No, too much POVs hurt the series in the latter books. There are 6 POVs in the North already, surely one of them can take care of Rickon when he becomes relevant again

Although, I would appreciate a wildling POV that isn't a murderous freak with bestiality tendencies

Same goes for Brienne and Quentyn. As with Rickon, both their stories may or may not be important in the future. But unless Nimble Dick Crabb was really Aegon Targaryen in disguise, both Brienne's and Quentyn's stories could have been related from the outside. Arguably, the access to their thoughts makes thematic sense for the Jamie-Brienne and Arianne-Quentyn contrasts. But surely an Osha POV offers its own opportunities, themes to explore and issue to touch on. I guess GRRM found the other stuff more interesting/fun to write or more relevant to the overall series.

There is speculation that Quentyn's story in ADwD is a part of the "Dornish Master Plan"; if this is in fact GRRM's intent, it would be necessary to see what we saw of Quentyn's story. As for Brienne, while Osha's disappearance is a little odd, she was not as major a character as Brienne; Brienne cannot be completely absent from AFfC and ADwD, apart from the tail end of a Jaime chapter. By this logic Arya's entire story in Essos could be only conveyed through her brief interactions with Sam, and having her return as a POV if and when she returns to Westeros.

Since separating from Bran's gang, what do we know about Rickon and Osha? We had to wait until Wex was brought in while Davos is in White Harbor with Wyman Manderly, just to find out.... what? Wex was following Rickon, Osha & Shaggydog, from Winterfell to parts unknown. The assumption is made that it's Skagos. TWADDLE!

How on earth does Osha get Rickon & a direwolf there? Is she secretly a sorceress? Did she ask, 'A boat to skagos for me, the lad and dog.'? Where and who does she ask?

Look at the journey from Winterfell to Skagos. Find a map, it helps. Skagos is just east of Eastwatch, at The Wall.

When Bran and Rickon parted, they set off in different directions, for obvious reasons. Where would a wildling go? To answer that, you've got to think as Osha would. What does she know best? Woodland, Hills, Mountains. She'll need water, from streams ideally, from rivers, when she has to. Can you see her heading across open sea?

There's another question to answer. Where was Wex captured? He's been held at White Harbor, remember. Has any Manderly force been north of Last Hearth, in The Gift, possibly near to The Wall? Did Wex decide to double back to report.....? To Theon?

Why does Wyman ask for a smuggler? To go all the way up to Skagos?

Davos has to find Rickon, and get the direwolf, than take both to Manderly. (Osha too, unless she's doomed.)

“For this I must have a man who’s sailed in darker waters and knows how to slip past dangers, unseen and unmolested.”

“But there were other places in this world where men were known to break their fast on human flesh.”

Do those sound like indicating Skagos? Somewhere close to The Dreadfort! I'll bet what's left of my pension after I've covered all my bills and shopping. That's not much but it's all I'd have.

Now, if there'd been an Osha POV......

Osha's PoV's would have served 3 purposes. 1) Give us an update on Rickon. After all, it's been 3 books since we've seen him 2)A wildling PoV who's not mad 3) Skagos world building.

Nice bump!!

While all that would certainly be nice and interesting, given GRRM's MO, the only one of them that would justify a whole new POV would be 1), and that will not happen until Rickon becomes directly relevant (I hesitate to say "again"). The pair will almost certainly return to the fray before the end of the series, a] because GRRM said he liked Natalie Tena's portrayal of the character so much in the show he is eager to see more of Osha, b] because the final book was initially titled A Time for Wolves, implying the Starks will make a comeback, and I can't see this happening without Rickon, and c] because, whether or not Rickon was ever truly relevant to the series, A Song of Ice and Fire will not end with Rickon and Osha "somewhere we don't really know".

A new POV isn't even really necessary to accomplish this; another character could find them, or Bran could somehow communicate with them.

While all that would certainly be nice and interesting, given GRRM's MO, the only one of them that would justify a whole new POV would be 1), and that will not happen until Rickon becomes directly relevant (I hesitate to say "again"). The pair will almost certainly return to the fray before the end of the series, a] because GRRM said he liked Natalie Tena's portrayal of the character so much in the show he is eager to see more of Osha, b] because the final book was initially titled A Time for Wolves, implying the Starks will make a comeback, and I can't see this happening without Rickon, and c] because, whether or not Rickon was ever truly relevant to the series, A Song of Ice and Fire will not end with Rickon and Osha "somewhere we don't really know".

A new POV isn't even really necessary to accomplish this; another character could find them, or Bran could somehow communicate with them.

I can't disagree with any of that to be honest. I guess, what I'm trying to say is an Osha PoV would have been interesting even if it were only a couple of them. There were too many Tyrion/Dany chapters in the dance so I wouldn't have complained if we had gotten an update on Rickn instead of those chapters.

Osha/Rickon's prolonged absence has made them quite interesting characters.

I can't disagree with any of that to be honest. I guess, what I'm trying to say is an Osha PoV would have been interesting even if it were only a couple of them. There were too many Tyrion/Dany chapters in the dance so I wouldn't have complained if we had gotten an update on Rickn instead of those chapters.

Osha/Rickon's prolonged absence has made them quite interesting characters.

I completely agree. GRRM is a great writer, no doubt, but I think it's a little unfortunate that we don't get really any chapters like the ones you're describing. It is understandable, given the complexity of the series, but then again not all of that complexity is exactly riveting (the politics of Meereen, for example).

I completely agree. GRRM is a great writer, no doubt, but I think it's a little unfortunate that we don't get really any chapters like the ones you're describing. It is understandable, given the complexity of the series, but then again not all of that complexity is exactly riveting (the politics of Meereen, for example).

We can't have everything I guess. There are people who probably love the Meereen worldbuilding and politics. I mentioned Brienne in the OP but I have come to like those chapters over time though they were still one too many..

Ah well, hopefully Davos will shed some light in the next book.

Archived