[BOOK SPOILERS] Where will season 5 end?

The Eunuch

They should put the Battle of Meereen in 6x02 or 6x03. The show will reach Winds of Winter in Season 6 at the rate it's going at.

I agree.

I'd rather they rush Dany's arc in season 6 than every other arc in season 5. They have a lot of ground to cover (the most part of two thick books and some added climax) even without putting Tyrion and Dany in every episode (which will be necessary if they intend to reach the battle in episode 9). If you make episode 9 a big battle episode you're already giving the rest of the storylines just 9 episodes. And of those 9 episodes my guess is that a third of the screentime would have to go to Tyrion and Dany. So that would be a problem (we have around 14 storylines to follow in season 5).

IMO, finish Dany where she ended in the book and hold off a couple of Quentyn/Tyrion/Barristan chapters to set up the battle for season 6. Preferably, as you said, in episode 2 or 3. And they can have Dany and her Dothraki scenes in the episode too, just to get that story going faster in the show.

Assuming Dany gets to Westeros in TWOW and season 6, that leaves her 7 or 8 episodes to get there. And at that point, her and Tyrion's screentimes will be mostly fused, and will certainly overlap- so it wouldn't choke the season in the same way as it could season 5 if they want to rush through Dany's material.

I understand the feeling that the show has to get past Meereen as soon as possible, and I see where people are coming from (it is often stated to be the worst part in the books, not that I agree but that's just fact), but I'd rather focus on the North in season 5 to do justice to Theon's character development in Winterfell, Stannis's march to free the North and some quality Manserly time. Season 6 will be all about Dany, but season 5 should be the Stannis/Theon/Boltons season.

And that's not to say that Meereen won't get a climax. The climax would be the Daznak Pit. With some smart storytelling decisions D&D could make some good Meereen scenes (especially of they add intrigue, such as revealing the Harpy, the poisoner, the pale mare as a less shitty desease, Quentyn/Trystane/whathaveyou etc). Will it be the greatest part of the season? He'll no, but it doesn't mean it will be terrible... If they cut Dany down to six episodes (a la Arya in season 4) it could do wonders to improve the show and the season.

It is difficult to predict where season 5 is going to end because we ultimately do not know how the cliffhangers of ADWD will be resolved. Some of these things such as Jaime/Brienne or Jon/Pink Letter could be moved up if the resolution makes little sense to push back to another season. We know that George did not end ADWD at the point he wanted to, but D&D could accelerate some storylines in order to fit a more contained narrative.

For example, if Jon is resurrected by Mel very early on in TWOW, would it be better to put his death in episode nine and his resurrection in episode ten? I feel like people would probably be annoyed if Jon died to end the season and then was brought back in the first episode of the next season.

I have little doubt that some of the ADWD cliffhangers will be resolved in season 5 in order to give as much time as possible for TWOW and ADOS material in seasons 6 and 7.

It is difficult to predict where season 5 is going to end because we ultimately do not know how the cliffhangers of ADWD will be resolved. Some of these things such as Jaime/Brienne or Jon/Pink Letter could be moved up if the resolution makes little sense to push back to another season. We know that George did not end ADWD at the point he wanted to, but D&D could accelerate some storylines in order to fit a more contained narrative.

For example, if Jon is resurrected by Mel very early on in TWOW, would it be better to put his death in episode nine and his resurrection in episode ten? I feel like people would probably be annoyed if Jon died to end the season and then was brought back in the first episode of the next season.

I have little doubt that some of the ADWD cliffhangers will be resolved in season 5 in order to give as much time as possible for TWOW and ADOS material in seasons 6 and 7.

Exactly. Besides which it's just bad tv to be building up to a bunch of climaxes all season long that don't take place until the next season. Especially when viewers have to wait ten months between seasons.

It's also why I think D&D might want to get Dany going to Westeros at the end of Season Five even if it's accelerated compared to the books-because they can't just keep putting it off forever and everyone is already impatient. Martin's ways of delaying Dany's arrival indefinitely just don't play that well on the screen-after a while they didn't even play very well on the page. Besides which once Dany sails to Westeros that saves the production staff the trouble and expense of the all the Moroccan shoots for Essos which they can use for all the things that are no doubt going to happen in TWOW and ADOS-and possibly important sequences in new places like Casterly Rock and Highgarden, or major battles with White Walkers and so forth.

I like the idea of jon getting stabbed at the end of ep 9 (or some earlier episode). Then the next episode could open on a shot of his body with warg eyes (if that is what happens to him). then theon's sample chapter could be in ep 10, and maybe some ghost cam stuff like "watchers on the wall".

I even kind of like the idea of them not emphesizing jon's warging abilities, so when it happens, it is a huge shock. Just think. people will be outraged after the stabbing. then the next week, the episode opens on a wide shot of his body, then a close up on his face with his eyes rolled back. I think that would be really cool, and then they wouldn't have to wait a year to know jon's fate.

Aryakills, on 14 Jun 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

The show is already into AFFC/ADWD, so the clock is already ticking on a season and a half for those.

Battle of Meereen in 6x09? That means 15 episodes of one long continuous shot of Tyrion floating down a river on a boat and every 45 30 seconds bubbles appear above his head with the words "where do whores go?".

That should make for excellent viewing.

hahahahahahahahahaha.

just imagined peter frustratedly popping thought bubbles. so great

Archived