What do people think Barristan should have done?

liammonroe

First off, I think the entire premise of the Kingsguard being the best knights in the kingdom is a complete perversion of the normative view of knighthood. Knights ideally work to protect the weak and defenseless in society; the royal family is the exact opposite, being the most powerful family in the country and actually the ones exploiting the common people for wealth and political power.

Having said that, assuming Barristan saw Aerys's reign through to the very end, I think it was a mistake for him to join Robert's Kingsguard. He should have declined, pointed out that by fighting for Aerys it was inappropriate, whatever, and gone into retirement or taken up some other office.

I don't even have that much of a problem with Barristan going to Dany, in and of itself. If he had declined Robert's Kingsguard invitation but then left to join Dany because he thought she was Aerys's heir, then that's one thing. But Barristan had no problem serving Robert's dynasty until he was sacked, and then he suddenly found a conscious regarding Targaryens and their rights.

On a side note, this puts Dany in a precarious position-That those she has put her trust in have a variety of hidden agendas. Quentyn may be an exception, he did not hide his intent nor should he be shy of wanting to reunite Targaryen and Martell. But even Tyrion is running from something rather than to Dany, as beneficial as I hope he ends up being for her.

Aegon I had a good friend in Orys, and his sisters. Dany is not so fortunate.

I find it absurd how many people judge these fictional characters living in a fictionalised world, by modern standards of morality and human rights. I really don't know how you can even get into this world if you let presentism intrude into the imagination like that.

Because it's written by a 21st century author who is attempting to deal with deep thematic issues relating to power and politics. Martin himself has said that while nothing is allegorical (ie; Meereen isn't supposed to be Iraq) he's deliberately trying to comment on things he considers to be universal/timeless to humanity;

Thematically, power is at the center of this – the use of power, the corrupting influences of power, what people will do to get power and what power will do to them. And, it’s about politics. It’s not an allegory. People have occasionally asked me, “Is this an allegory for modern politics?” No, it’s not. I agree with Tolkien, in the sense that you don't really want to inject any sort of allegory and satire or contemporary political issues into your medieval fantsy. But, nonetheless, there are certain universal themes. There are certain things that I’m trying to say about politics, governance, the use of power, kings, and all of that stuff.

Given that authorial intent, I don't think it's necessarily "absurd" to consider character actions in a modern context. Sometimes it might be, but not automatically.

Because it's written by a 21st century author who is attempting to deal with deep thematic issues relating to power and politics. Martin himself has said that while nothing is allegorical (ie; Meereen isn't supposed to be Iraq) he's deliberately trying to comment on things he considers to be universal/timeless to humanity;

Yes, I never got the argument that the books weren't written in the context of modern morality. Of course they are, otherwise, how do we as modern readers connect with them?

I would say that the situation of a person changing sides depending on his own personal benefit (or lack thereof) is something that is absolutely relatable to modern readers.

On a side note, this puts Dany in a precarious position-That those she has put her trust in have a variety of hidden agendas. Quentyn may be an exception, he did not hide his intent nor should he be shy of wanting to reunite Targaryen and Martell. But even Tyrion is running from something rather than to Dany, as beneficial as I hope he ends up being for her.

Aegon I had a good friend in Orys, and his sisters. Dany is not so fortunate.

Yes. Jorah was exiled for slaving and wants to get into her pants. Barristan was fired. Victarion and Euron want to exploit her dragons. Tyrion just wants to get revenge on Cersei and get Casterly Rock. The Martells want revenge. Funny how "actually thinks Dany would be a good queen" is not exactly on the top of anyone's list of reasons for engaging with her. But that's off-topic. :P

I agree with this fully.

Rhaegar as King with Tywin as Hand would make quite the team, provided Tywin could put aside any resentment over the whole Rhaegar/Cersei/Elia thing. Tensions would still flare if "King" Rhaegar absconded with Lyanna Stark, but Tywin would certainly handle the situation in a way that prevented civil war.

THIS. Barristan suddenly gets an epiphany that he has to join Daenerys only after being kicked out of Baratheon rule.

The man is so full of hypocrisy. He stood idly by the rape and torture of innocent people. And when Jaime got rid of that monster, he berates and judges Jaime.

Precisely.

He could have asked for his vows to be terminated, saying something like "my vows were to the Targ dinasty" or something like that. If honor was what motivated him back then, he could have at least asked for this possibility. And, if Robert felt offended by this, he could have taken the black. Robert was a really shitty conciliator. He forgived whoever he wanted, but completely arbitrarily: look at Aliser Thorne, the guy had to take the black because of his allegiances during RR.

Having said that, assuming Barristan saw Aerys's reign through to the very end, I think it was a mistake for him to join Robert's Kingsguard. He should have declined, pointed out that by fighting for Aerys it was inappropriate, whatever, and gone into retirement or taken up some other office.

At that time Robert seemed like he had the potential to be a great King so I understand Barristan wanting to serve with him in the hope that Robert would be a King worth serving. It wasn't until later that Robert showed himself to be a very poor King.

Let Tywin put Duskendale to the sword.

Aerys dies. Rhaeghar becomes king.

Hence Westeros does better, but we don't get these stories.

Aerys did not go crazy until after what happened at Duskendale. If I recall correctly he was considered a very good King until he was imprisoned at Duskendale and became a paranoid lunatic after he was freed by Barristan. Which is pretty sad since Barristan's rescue of Aerys is one of the most amazing feats in Westeroes history and it became one of his biggest regrets.

Archived