Jaime Lannister's Mental Health

Lady Faceless

What Jaime is, is what the Argentinians call, a POLLERUDO. Here in Perú, we call them SACOLARGO. Cersei manipulates him and now he's trapped. He can't do better than keep their relationship in secret, otherwise, he's as screwed up as she is. Everything he has done is to keep the incest quiet because that's the life he has gotten himself into.

But, if we see Jaime beyond his relationship with Cersei, he was pretty much a normal kid: when he was ten years old or something, Cersei recalls he liked to play with swords and it was all he did. There is anything to imply he had the same cruel vibe Cersei and Joffrey had. Also, Tyrion says that his brother was nice to him and bought him his first pony and toys, and even during the Tysha incident, he chased the men who were trying to hurt him away: he had some sense of decency. And after he was knighted, he wanted to be like Arthur Dayne, who was a man considered as quite honourable. I think his moral compass was fine.

The incest for Jaime is like having an addiction. When you're so much deep into it, you end up doing fucked up things because of it, either to hide it or to keep it going. That's Jaime's case, and that's why he wanted to come out into the light. When he got himself away from Cersei's grip, he started to change and see things differently. Of course, he didn't turn into an angel suddenly, but he did changed and saw Brienne in a different light, for instance.

Ah yes, thank you. Showing this post to my father the second I wake up tomorrow.

Some symptoms of SPD:

• cynical

• inauthentic

depersonalized

alternately feeling empty, robot-like, and full of omnipotent, vengeful fantasies

hidden grandiosity

exquisitely sensitive

deeply curious about others

hungry for love

envious of others' spontaneity

intensely needy of involvement with others

capable of excitement with carefully selected intimates

lack clarity of goals

weak ethnic affiliation

usually capable of steady work

quite creative and may make unique and original contributions

capable of passionate endurance in certain spheres of interest

moral unevenness

occasionally strikingly amoral and vulnerable to odd crimes, at other times altruistically self-sacrificing (this is the only one that really sticks out for me)

autistic thinking

fluctuations between sharp contact with external reality and hyperreflectiveness about the self

autocentric use of language

Most of these aply to me, should I be worried?

Jaime is really disturbed, troubled and conflicted. But I don't think he's mentally damaged or has a personality disorder.

The closest to actual mentally disturbed people would be Ramsay, Roose and Arya, who are sociopaths, and Dany who maybe has some form of madness.

Arya is no Sociopath. Sociopaths are not created they are born, and the circumstances of their early childhood dictate how dangerous they become. A baby with Sociopathic genetics who is left to cry it out, ignored and subjected to poor domestic environments such as abusive, neglectful, etc has the potential to turn out really badly, one who is given tons of skin to skin time co-slept, interacted with in a meaningful and enriching way will still be one but will fair well in life and is unlikely to turn to violence or crime, Will probably just be really successful at work in fact.

Sociopaths don't worry that their mother might reject them, they don't care about anyone's opinions or feelings but their own. They don't love people either and Arya loves Jon genuinely. Sociopaths only love themselves and what they call love is just a word for how that person makes them feel about themselves. So a spouce might make a sociopath feel good, they call you really nice things and look up to you. but the sociopath only loves how that makes them feel, they see the spouse as more of a possession and an extension of themselves than a unique individual with their own feelings. Their love is not a mutual respectful emotion which allows for individual behaviour and actions, Same for children, they are not loved as autonomous human beings but seen as an extension of the sociopath. Again more possession that respected unique human being. This is why so often when a Sociopathic parents children begin to grow up they struggle with them so much, they child is no longer mailable and has ideas and thoughts of its own. The Sociopath can not accept this and will become aggressive and angry with the child.

I don't think Arya can be called a Sociopath/ Psychopath at all. As she clearly loves her family in the real sense and her relationships with Gendry and the Hound and Hot Pie and Lommy etc prove it. A sociopath doesn't swear vengeance for the killing of some boy they spent a few months with on the rd. because a Sociopath doesn't form the real friendship bonds required for that, her taking the Hound off of her list and being unable to kill him, in spite of his past actions and the shit he spews about Sansa shows she is not one. A Sociopath would have no problem with doing it, a Sociopath would not have taken him off the list.

Archived