The Others are dead CoTF that came from destroyed Weirwoods

oursisthefury69

The CotF/greenseers aren't tied to just ONE weirwood after death though, are they? The greenseers can see through any weirwood anywhere (I assume, though now I realize that may be a bigger assumption than I thought) so it seems unlikely that chopping down weirwoods would create such a huge issue unless they chopped down ALL the weirwoods.

Good catch on whoever picked up on the baby weirwoods - I, too, thought there weren't any new ones being planted.

We really don't know much about the Others.

As it is, I reread the slaying by Sam last night but don't see much to add except they are obviously polar opposites to fire since they literally "melt" when struck with dragon glass.

Rereading the timeline, it's not even possible to link the Others with any other major event. By the time they arrived, the CotF and the First Men were at peace. The rise of Valyria was thousands of years later.

All we have is GRRM's quote on the subject:

I like theories, but I really don't see anything to base one on. Fact is, they could be a hidden driving force behind everything happening in Westeros, a consequence of all the warfare, or nothing of all that. We don't even know how they will interact with dragons.

The only thing I wonder is why there are seen as such a threat if "all it takes" to kill them is dragonglass and (?) Valyrian steel. With Dany having three dragons, it seems possible to forge Valyrian steel again. I take it that the threat probably comes from their ability to bring back the dead as wights, meaning they don't have to expose themselves to invade Westeros.

There's not a lot of dragon glass floating around and I think dragons have nothing to do with forging Valyerian steel. That's a technique that I believe the yet stats was lost thousands of years ago.

The others are a threat definitely because of wights and because they're quick and bring frigid cold as well. I'm thinking the one Sam killed was a bit overconfident and didn't think sam had obsidian on him. They may think that humans had no clue about obsidian being their kryptonite

There's not a lot of dragon glass floating around and I think dragons have nothing to do with forging Valyerian steel.

Longclaw had been forged in the fires of old Valyria, forged in dragonflame and set with spells.

but I swear to you, one day you shall have from my hands a longsword like none the world has ever seen, dragon-forged and made of Valyrian steel
It was also confirmed in a reading Martin did from Fire and Blood, when they burnt Aegon I they burnt Blackfyre with him. They knew it would not be harmed by the fire because it was forged in dragon flame

There's not a lot of dragon glass floating around

Isn't Dragonstone full of dragon glass and Stannis having the place mined for it?

and I think dragons have nothing to do with forging Valyerian steel.

Sorry, as far as we know, that's factually wrong. Valyrian steel is supposedly forged with dragonfire. Although it is true there seems to be more to it than that (spells and special skills).

At any rate I doubt an Other can survive dragon fire, so Dany's dragons are powerful weapons in this war.

It was also confirmed in a reading Martin did from Fire and Blood, when they burnt Aegon I they burnt Blackfyre with him. They knew it would not be harmed by the fire because it was forged in dragon flame

This doesn't mean that the people of Westeros would know the techniques.

Isn't Dragonstone full of dragon glass and Stannis having the place mined for it?

Dragonstone is full of it, but I don't know if he mined for it nor if he brought it with him, as he didn't know it's effective against the Others when he left and he doesn't hold DS anymore atm.

Sorry, as far as we know, that's factually wrong. Valyrian steel is supposedly forged with dragonfire. Although it is true there seems to be more to it than that (spells and special skills).

At any rate I doubt an Other can survive dragon fire, so Dany's dragons are powerful weapons in this war.

Yes Dragonstone is full of it and Stannis sent word to mine it. Problem is that Dragonstone is (allegedly) taken and at worst held by a token force that is on the radar of KL. Doesn't mean there's a ton of dragon glass headed to the wall anytime soon. Seeing as how southern folk don't give a flying you know what about what's going on at the wall.....

By the time Dany gets to the wall with trained dragons, I'm sure the others will be in a much more powerful position, IF she ever gets there with trained dragons. Obviously the dragons would serve holy hell to ice people, I"m just harping over to post that you state that you don't understand why the others are seen as so formidable.

By the time Dany gets to the wall with trained dragons, I'm sure the others will be in a much more powerful position, IF she ever gets there with trained dragons. Obviously the dragons would serve holy hell to ice people, I"m just harping over to post that you state that you don't understand why the others are seen as so formidable.

Yes, that wasn't a smart comment to make. Obviously from a Westerosi perspective the Others are nigh invulnerable. From a reader's perspective however, it seems they can be dealt with in more than one way:

- Relatively ordinary people with the right weapons. And said weapons can theoretically be mass produced.

- Azor Ashai.

- Dragons.

Of course, with Dragonstone taken, the dragons being in Essos, and Azor Ashai still not revealed, the Others will have a field trip if/when the Wall falls. But it's just... Well, the Others are supposedly this huge threat we've been waiting for in the first five books, and we already know several ways in which they can be defeated. So I find it hard to see them as "formidable" because it already seems obvious they won't win their war even though they've barely started it...

So I'm kind of hoping there's more to them than what we've already seen. Giant ice spiders or other terrifying powers. Something to make the outcome less certain.

This doesn't mean that the people of Westeros would know the techniques.

Oh I wasn't arguing with that part of your post, the technique was almost definitely* lost with the Doom. I was just pointing out that we now have three independent sources confirming that dragonfire is required to make Valyrian Steel.

*I say almost because we know there are people in Qohor who know how to reforge it. It's possible that if these same had access to a dragon that they might be able to produce it it also. In other words since the doom they've had the knowledge, but not the required materials (a dragon.)

Archived