Where did Orys come from?

Stormland's Fury

Since Aegon conquered Westeros 100 years after the Valyrian Doom, it's safe to assume that his father Aerion was born on Dragonstone as well and lived there like every Targaryen up until the conquest. So was Orys also conceived, born and raised on Dragonstone?

How many Valyrian bannermen had the Targaryens live with them on the same island all that time anyway? Or did other Valyrians like the Velaryons already occupy the other islands off the eastern coast?

While writing this I realised how ironic it would be if Aenys I would have been the bastard son of Orys and Rhaenys... (just hypothetically)

Velaryon, Qoherys, and Celtigar were their Valyrian bannermen. Their might be more too. The name Baratheon is a mystery.

One would think that the original Baratheons (if that even was a house) would be still around. Maybe Baratheon means something in Valyrian and is attributed to bastards, like Pyke or Snow.

But then again why should they have the same naming convention unless they adapted it from the Westerosi.

One would think that the original Baratheons (if that even was a house) would be still around. Maybe Baratheon means something in Valyrian and is attributed to bastards, like Pyke or Snow.

But then again why should they have the same naming convention unless they adapted it from the Westerosi.

Maybe the Baratheons were a high up Valyrian family like the Targs but Orys was the only one of his family that survived?

Maybe the Baratheons were a high up Valyrian family like the Targs but Orys was the only one of his family that survived?

I would think it was a bastard name, but if they were a family then they had apparently the same problem of keeping the line "secure" since forever. ;)

Its probably a Valyrian bastard name.

Another possibility that I've seen on the board is that it may be akin to Bar Emmon - only merged over time (so it started of as Bar Atheon or some such).

Then again, he was explicitly said to be baseborn.

Ugh...that would imply that the fate of the current Baratheons will be the same as that previous family's fate.

Except for Shireen, Borros' four daughters and a woman (forgot the name, maybe she married a Tragaryen) the few members we do hear abut were male and supposedly never have many siblings. I guess they always had that problem.

Do we know that he was definitely a bastard and Aerion being the father is rumored, or are both him being a bastard and being Aerion's son rumors? If it is known he was a bastard and only whether Aerion was the father is rumored I could see Baratheon maybe being a bastard name. But I am skeptical, especially as it was allowed to become the name of the house it merged with/took over.

Do we know that he was definitely a bastard and Aerion being the father is rumored, or are both him being a bastard and being Aerion's son rumors? If it is known he was a bastard and only whether Aerion was the father is rumored I could see Baratheon maybe being a bastard name. But I am skeptical, especially as it was allowed to become the name of the house it merged with/took over.

I think it's only rumors, but he still had to come from Dragonstone or one of the Valyrian-occupied islands I assume.

I'm not sure if Aegon cared if a Valyrian bastard name displaced a Westerosi noble one.

Haha yeah.

But was the Waters name already in use? The Crownlands didn't exist as a region.

I don't know, if it didn't my next question is who the hell thought Waters was good bastard name.

I don't know, if it didn't my next question is who the hell thought Waters was good bastard bastard name.

the Valyrians who conquered the Seven Kingdoms lived for 100 years exclusively on islands, maybe they thought: " Hey, Waters describes us rather well" when establishing the Crownlands and they really wanted a bastard name on their own like the other regions.

Imagine the name was Crown...utterly confusing and probably treasonous.

Except for Shireen, Borros' four daughters and a woman (forgot the name, maybe she married a Tragaryen) the few members we do hear abut were male and supposedly never have many siblings. I guess they always had that problem.

Just because we don't hear about them doesn't mean that they don't exist. Ned read about a third son marrying a Lannister woman, remember? Gowen Baratheon and Tya Lannister were their names, even though they left no progeny.

There are also a couple of Stormland Houses which may be their cadet branches - Bolling and Wensington.

Then it can be assumed that the name was assigned to him as his mother probably didn't even had a last name. Or not?

Or as WMarshal said, Orys might've chosen the name for himself - like Daemon naming himself after a sword.

Just because we don't hear about them doesn't mean that they don't exist. Ned read about a third son marrying a Lannister woman, remember? Gowen Baratheon and Tya Lannister were their names, even though they left no progeny.

There are also a couple of Stormland Houses which may be their cadet branches - Bolling and Wensington.

Or as WMarshal said, Orys might've chosen the name for himself - like Daemon naming himself after a sword.

Yes, I am aware of that but we have not a lot of information on them, so it was probably an artistic choice on GRRM's part, as many families have certain "traits" throughout history.

Yeah, I should have expressed myself better. I meant assigned in the general sense, either by himself or someone who wants to clarify his status.

Archived