Anoyone know of double observations of the moon in the books?

Waters Gate

I am kinda reasearching whether there might be 2 moons around Westeros rather than 1 as the inhabitants think, and whether i can prove this by the observations made in the book.

In theory you could have 2 moons revolving a planet thant one cannot nboth at the same time from any location on the planet, like when the planet sits right in between the 2 moons and the mons rotate with the same speed aroudn the planet.

The thing is, GRRM puts observations of the moon in it's phases all trough the book, and trough such a thing irrefultable proof can be found pottentiall of the existance of 2 moons rather than one.

All we need to have for this is 2 observations made of a moon, both at the same time, most likely from a different location, where moons are observed that are in a different phase. if say king Robert sees a full moon above Westeros, and on that very day Daenarys sees a crecent moon above Essos, then such would be irrefutable proof that actually 2 moons exist rather than 1. A moon cannot be observed in in another phase at a differen place in the world, it appears in the same phase everywhere though it might rise and settle on the horizon and be somewhat distorted there.

There is an obvious problem though for what regards this kind of reasearch. That is, lack of time denomination. We hardly know of any times or date's by certain. Neither do we know how long it takes for the moon to rotate around the planet. So it seems impossible at first.

HOWEVER. Some people can observe the moon from different locations. Arya and bran are obvious example's. In the winds of winder Mercy spoiler chapter Arya wakes up from a wolf dream where it's noted that as a wolf she saw a full moon overhead above Westeros. Its just a pitty for what regards my research here that she didn't make another observation of the moon above Braavos after she had woken up, for if she had seen a different phased moon there then that would have been my irrefutable proof.She then might say have seen the full moon setting in the west, while in Braavos she might have seen a crescent moon rising in the east, and that would have shown there to be 2 moons opposite of the planet.

It might still come however my proof, and sneakily too. Any follow up chapter after mercy's one here where an observation of he moon is made in Braavos while such would be verifiably just after the events of the mercy chapter could still give it to me, just more hidden.

See Grrm puts a lot of discriptions of the moon and the phases it is in, and it might be that one really needs to read observant f this idea to maybe find a point in the story where the moon is witnissed in different phases at a verifyable time. So i wondered if anyone might have any idea, any hint, where i might find the proof i need of differnetly observed moon phases? Any help would be appreciated, i think the Bran and Arya chapeters might be the most prommesing in this.

You are looking to hard for the different phases of the moon, GRRM comes right out and says it in the text -

Westeros had 2 moons but one wandered too close to the sun and it cracked from the heat pouring out a thousand thousand dragons.

it is known

You are looking to hard for the different phases of the moon, GRRM comes right out and says it in the text -

Westeros had 2 moons but one wandered too close to the sun and it cracked from the heat pouring out a thousand thousand dragons.

it is known

Well, thats what the Qartheen say afaik. it's their viewpoint, and viewpoints matter in GRRM's books. Noone might know there are still 2 moons in this world because they cant see them both at the same time from the same spot.

Still, this is not theory. This is science! I mean, if i can find 2 observations of a moon in a different phase at confirmably the same time then i can simply prove there are 2 moons.

Well, thats what the Qartheen say afaik. it's their viewpoint, and viewpoints matter in GRRM's books. Noone might know there are still 2 moons in this world because they cant see them both at the same time from the same spot.

Still, this is not theory. This is science! I mean, if i can find 2 observations of a moon in a different phase at confirmably the same time then i can simply prove there are 2 moons.

Ummmm... Oh never mind. I wish you success.

I think i got it!

From a feast for crowsn, Cat of the canals chapter:

"Cat would always find the kindly man waiting for her when she went creeping back to the temple on the knoll on the night the moon went black. “What do you know that you did not know when you left us?” he would always ask her."

“All men must serve.” And so she did, three days of every thirty. When the moon was black she was no one, a servant of the Many-Faced God in a robe of black and white. She walked beside the kindly man through the fragrant darkness, carrying her iron lantern. She washed the dead, went through their clothes, and counted out their coins. Some days she still helped Umma cook, chopping big white mushrooms and boning fish. But only when the moon was black. The rest of the time she was an orphan girl in a pair of battered boots too big for her feet and a brown cloak with a ragged hem, crying “Mussels and cockles and clams” as she wheeled her barrow through the Ragman’s Harbor.

The moon would be black tonight, she knew; last night it had been no more than a sliver. “What do you know that you did not know when you left us?” the kindly man would ask as soon as he saw her."

From a dance with dragons, the blind girl chapter, and the following is all from the same chapter:

Her nights were lit by distant stars and the shimmer of moonlight on snow, but every dawn she

woke to darkness.

She opened her eyes and stared up blind at the black that shrouded her, her dream already

fading. So beautiful. She licked her lips, remembering. The bleating of the sheep, the terror in the

shepherd’s eyes, the sound the dogs had made as she killed them one by one, the snarling of her pack.

Game had become scarcer since the snows began to fall, but last night they had feasted. Lamb and dog

and mutton and the flesh of man. Some of her little grey cousins were afraid of men, even dead men,

but not her. Meat was meat, and men were prey. She was the night wolf.

But only when she dreamed.

Same day apparently as she had this dream, the kindly man comes to her.

“As you will.” She could hear him peeling the egg, then a faint silvery clink as he picked up the

salt spoon. He liked his eggs well salted. “Where did my poor blind girl go begging last night?”

“The Inn of the Green Eel.”

“And what three new things do you know that you did not know when last you left us?”

It is implied in the previous book that these 3 questions are only asked about every month. Or atleast, asked every turn of the moon, specificly when the moon is dark.

In her wolf-dream that night however she hunts with her pack somewhere in Westeros under the moonlight, whereas by the token that the kindly man comes to interrogate her we should assume that we are at the new moon/dark moon in Braavos.

Indirect proof yes, put in principle phases of the moon cannot be different under normal circumstances watched from other parts of the world afaik. So if there is a dark moon over Braavos, and there is moonlight over Westeros, then that might very well strongly imply there to be actually 2 moons.

I dont think anyones buying this but you mate. Half a world away wouldnt the same moon just be in a slightly different phase?

I think theres a guy called David Icke with a theory about an extra planet around Earth called Nibiru, apparently thats invisible too. Maybe try his forum

I dont think anyones buying this but you mate. Half a world away wouldnt the same moon just be in a slightly different phase?

No. It's everywhere the same.

http://www.moonconnection.com/images/moon_phases_diagram.jpg

The moon takes about a month to turn around the earth, takes about 15 days to go from a new moon to a full moon, a week to go from new to half, and a few days to go from new to a quarter.

the Earth afcourse rotates around itself once every day, meaning every spot on the earth is turned to the moon each day for half a day. the moon then has a similar movement to the sun, rises in the east and sets in the west.

Supposedly Arya see's the kindly man just hours after hear dream, and the questions are asked on the new moon.

Archived